PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite P2P program?

Mercator
Friday, July 28th, 2006, 05:21 AM
- Emule
- Ares
- lphant
- Azureus
- BitTorrent
- Others

Pro-Alpine
Friday, July 28th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I use Bittorrents clients, mostly Utorrent and the one that came with Opera 9.0

der_letzte
Sunday, July 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Bearshare is dead.
My favourite P2P prog is Bitcomet. Fast and good to work with.

Glenlivet
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
DC++ - the ultimate P2P for those with a fast connection. You can find most of the latest films (also in DVD, usually rar compressed filed), but you can only join the best hubs if you have a fast, preferably 10 or even 100 mbit/s connection.

BitTorrent - slower, if you have more time, because most files take a few days to download. There are some good programs here which are difficult to find on DC++.

I use both. I recommend uTorrent, in my opinion the fastest and most stable client for obtaining torrents.

http://www.utorrent.com/

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=40287&package_id=70036

German_Man
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
I use Morpheus, the other one is very slow on my PC.

Ealhswið
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm currently using eMule.

Boche
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Emule,
and DC++ if i need something from a friend

Gruß,
Svartr

Thalia
Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm using Bitcomet and I'm comfortable with it.

Flag-Soil
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Emule
Azureus

Jäger
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
As a side note, Bittorrent is the only secure file sharing network mentioned here.
One should use it when it is possible and refrain from using the other networks.

Glenlivet
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
What do you mean with secure? Keeping your own network safe from virus infection or from authorities?

As a side note, Bittorrent is the only secure file sharing network mentioned here.
One should use it when it is possible and refrain from using the other networks.

Jäger
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
What do you mean with secure? Keeping your own network safe from virus infection or from authorities? From authorities, of course every network can be made vulnerable or secure, but for most users bittorrent provides "standard security" if you want to say so. :)

[edit] If someone is interested in anonymity then he/she should check out i2phex (http://forum.i2p.net/viewforum.php?f=25)
Its a Gnutella client which is very secure in regard to anonymity :)

Berliners Remember
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
You should use soulseek..there is yet to be a file i have not eventualy found there...and i have some pretty interesting and rare music.

Amorsite
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 07:31 AM
'
Bearshare is dead. My favourite P2P prog is Bitcomet. Fast and good to work with.100% agreed , bitcomet is the best: you need only to allow 3kb/s up and whatever you want down, besides it includes a browser with nice marked sites.'

Cnooc
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
it should be noted that BitTorrent is a file transfer protocol, whereas Azureas is a client (program) that uses the protocol. Other client programs such as Ares uses a network with centralized servers, which in Ares' case, is the FastTrack network (the same one used by Kazaa). BitTorrent, on the otherhand, does not rely on centralized servers, which makes it much harder to shut down by say, the RIAA or the MPAA. Emule is a combination of both, it's protocol is very similar to BitTorrent, but its weakness is that it relies on centralized server, although new updates have allowed the eMule to utilize the Kad network, which does not rely on centralized servers.

Thus, I recommend more than one P2P program to get the best results. I use BitComet, which uses the BitTorrent protocol (as does Azureas), to download huge files (1 Gig+) such as movies and software. If I want to download music (.mp3 and .m4a), and files that are within the 10 meg range, I rely on Limewire, which offers very fast download speeds. eMule is slow, but it has the best selection, most the rare stuff on my computer, files I can't find anywhere else, were downloaded through eMule.

A lot of the P2P programs are riddled with spyware and malware, and IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to know which programs are clean if you want your computer to be still operational after a week. Programs like Kazaa, Morpheus, Bearshare, are bundled with tons of spyware. Some good programs I know of are: Limewire, Bitcomet, Ares, Azureus, eMule, and KazaaLite.

If you are a PC user, using programs like Azureas can be slow. This is because Azureas is not a windows-native application, but a Java based program. Thus in order for your computer to run Azureas, it has to open up another application, the Java Runtime Environment, which allows it to run Java applications. The JRE hogs a lot of system resources, slowing the down the PC dramatically. This is one reason I don't use the ever popular Mozilla Firefox, because it is a Java application; I use Opera (another browser just as good) for my computer.

:hveðrungur:
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You should use soulseek..there is yet to be a file i have not eventualy found there...and i have some pretty interesting and rare music.
Along with the buddys list, chatrooms and wishlist. Yes, soulseek is the best IMO :thumbup

georgepohl
Tuesday, September 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I am afraid to download from P2P services, because I don't want to be sued by the RIAA.:thumbdown

Mercator
Friday, September 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I am afraid to download from P2P services, because I don't want to be sued by the RIAA.:thumbdown

Don't be afraid, use a proxy or anonymOS;)

folkandfaith
Friday, September 15th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I use Limewire only because I am on linux Xandros and it is piece of cake to set up. All the others seem to be quite difficult to set up, esp. for one not really familiar much with linux but just not wanting to use wondows mainly for the reasons such as paying for all your software and security as well.

So, are there other P2P clients or progrmas that are easy enough to use and set up for linux?

There is this 'Bit Tornado' that is in the software for use if you install it, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it worked so I unistalled it. Not at all like limewire or winmx or these sorts of p2p programs. :(

Jäger
Friday, September 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Have you considered trying ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) ? Because of it's package manegment system it is quite easy to set up all kinds of programs without much knowledge.

You then can get Nicotine (http://nicotine.thegraveyard.org/) as a Soulseek client, or BitTorrent easily.

Here
Saturday, September 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Emule of course It is great!!!

but I agree bittorrent is faster and Ares is full of fake files

Putzfleck
Saturday, September 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I use shareaza (based on torrents). It's very very fast, but it doesn't have as many files as eMule. However, if you are looking for a popular file, it's the best choice for you!

Drömmarnas Stig
Saturday, September 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Emule is the clear number one for me.
I have downloaded 380 GB in the last two years via Emule.

The best thing about this program (for me) is that you have access to millions of German files (video, audio, books...).

Azureus is my secondary P2P program. I only use it for new files (like the latest UFC-events or Prison Break) because it's quick as hell.