PDA

View Full Version : Wine Made for Pizza

Siegmund
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I want some!

Wine made for pizza
July 17, 2006

Although to serious marketers of fancy, labeled, rare-cultivar South African wines this idea might make you choke on your Montecristo and miss your next shot at the platinum spittoon - but we think this is a good one to put out there.

'Pizza Vino'; from California, available in a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinot Noir; is made to be enjoyed with pizza.

Statistics show over 3 billion pizzas are sold annually in the US and over 93% of Americans have pizza at least once a month.

That's a fair sized market - if you can get just 1% of it to change from chugging beer with their cheesy dinner to your finely produced bottle of plonk.
[More (http://anonym.to/?http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/2006/07/wine_made_for_p.html)]

http://i1.tinypic.com/209mykg.jpg

Landerun
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I am not surprised that in America so many people buy pizza and eat, is just Fastfood. Wine must be recently marked, so that one can recognise that one can drink him also to the pizza? Do the Yankys drink only sugared water?:-O

Sciz
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Wow, those are really ugly labels. Let this be a lesson to you all; this is what happens when you give a five year old Photoshop to play with ;).

I can't see this catching on, and for the exact reason you mention, Landerun: Pizza is just fastfood here in the States. Drinking wine with pizza is like drinking a fine, aged brandy with the egg salad sandwich you got at the local convenience store.

Eh, what do I know anyway? I'm partial to beer myself. So much so that I brew my own to have with my pizza :thumbup.

Gesta Bellica
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 08:55 PM
ironically we Italians rarely drink wine while eating pizza, quite weird considering we know a thing or two about them ;)
the usual choice is coke or beer :)

Sciz
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I've just always seen pizza as something of a "poor man's food" and pasta as something the more well-to-do would eat. Perhaps you could verify if that's the case in Italy, Gesta Bellica. In that sense, because of cultural prejudice in favor of wine (a prejudice I am viciously opposed to because beer can be just as high class), it seems inappropriate to drink it with a lower class food like pizza.

Gesta Bellica
Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I've just always seen pizza as something of a "poor man's food" and pasta as something the more well-to-do would eat. Perhaps you could verify if that's the case in Italy, Gesta Bellica. In that sense, because of cultural prejudice in favor of wine (a prejudice I am viciously opposed to because beer can be just as high class), it seems inappropriate to drink it with a lower class food like pizza.

Well "pizza" as we know it here was created in Naples something around 150 years ago and has never been widespread in the whole country (expecially in the north where it was unknown) before the end of the II world war..so it never had the time to become a "social" food.
Probably pasta it's always seen as a part of a whole lunch, being hwat we call the "first dish", meat/fish is usually the second etc..so definitely slow food and also a socila occasion for meeting and talking..and wine is really appreciated in such occasion while beer is pretty rare to be found.

Pizza and beer are considered fast food, it's not really common to see somebody baking his own pizza here in italy.. we usualyl go to pizzeria or order it in some take away place and a bottle of beer suits perfectly ;)

Sciz
Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Ah, thanks Gesta Bellica. That's as I susspected. I have Italian inlaws, but I rarely, if ever, hear them talk about the "old country." The only reference I have for the esteem of pizza in the mind of Italians (and this is fairly embarrasing to admit :() comes from a pizzaria scene in "Ladri di biciclette" which may or may not have any validity to it.

Zyklop
Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Pizza is just a cheap imitation of Zwiebelkuchen.

Gesta Bellica
Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Ah, thanks Gesta Bellica. That's as I susspected. I have Italian inlaws, but I rarely, if ever, hear them talk about the "old country." The only reference I have for the esteem of pizza in the mind of Italians (and this is fairly embarrasing to admit :() comes from a pizzaria scene in "Ladri di biciclette" which may or may not have any validity to it.

Hmm i don't remember that scene, anyway italian old movies were pretty realistic about life post war so it might have been quite realistic :D

Gesta Bellica
Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Pizza is just a cheap imitation of Zwiebelkuchen.

No need or intention to imitate anyone, food really similar to pizza was already quite common in Southern Italy centuries ago :D they just added some ingredients andwrote down some rules and here it comes the pizza napoletana ;)

Hesse
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Beer is supposed to go with pizza, not wine. They need to discover a wine for pancakes and maple syrup.