PDA

View Full Version : Skadi Gallery - Questions, Error Reports, Suggestions, Etc.

Zyklop
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM
hm, picture doesn´t show in the gallery. Is it moderated?

Siegfried
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 08:38 AM
hm, picture doesn´t show in the gallery. Is it moderated?

I think only the pictures in the first post are shown in the gallery. :)

Zyklop
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I think only the pictures in the first post are shown in the gallery. :)I don´t think so. Check the BDM photos by Aeternitas.

Aeternitas
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Only new members have their posts moderated. Yes, only pictures from the first post show up in the gallery, but this is on the preview on the index page. All pictures are supposed to show up in the gallery.

Zyklop
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Only new members have their posts moderated. Yes, only pictures from the first post show up in the gallery, but this is on the preview on the index page. All pictures are supposed to show up in the gallery.It didn´t show up in the gallery either. I deleted the attachment now and posted it as a new thread.

Teihwaz
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I noticed that you do not see pictures that are posted as "answer" on another picture post in the gallery.

An example of this is this thread:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=41118

You do not see the pictures of the answer post in the gallery.
Is there a way to change this? :)

Thorburn
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I noticed that you do not see pictures that are posted as "answer" on another picture post in the gallery.

An example of this is this thread:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=41118

You do not see the pictures of the answer post in the gallery. I believe that's true if you are not the thread owner; if you are, then attachments of consecutive posts are shown, but I would have to try this out to verify it.

Is there a way to change this? :) I reckon that one might be able to edit the code, but I'm actually happy that other's picture threads can't be "hijacked" by adding images unrelated to the thread title in consecutive discussions.

If you want to add images that fit into an existing topic, simply open a new thread with the same topic. The Gallery sorts them anyway.

Teihwaz
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 12:31 PM
If you want to add images that fit into an existing topic, simply open a new thread with the same topic. The Gallery sorts them anyway.

I did that, but someone moved my post and made it an "answer" post of the thread shown above. I guess, because they have the same title and the same author (me).

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, December 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Most of the pictures in the Gallery are very interesting, but some are also very frustrating. There must be an interesting story behind them, but there is never any explanation of the pictures. I think that it would be worthwhile and helpful to have some explanation . Not all of us know the people shown. For example was Broca the physiologist who discovered the area of the brain involved in speech ? Who was the handsome young aviator shown recently ? And, who in heaven's name was Great Pierre ? What is his story ? In the case of some of the maps shown, why were they shown, what point was being made ? Please, don't keep us in the dark like this.

The Black Prince
Wednesday, December 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Most of the pictures in the Gallery are very interesting, but some are also very frustrating. There must be an interesting story behind them, but there is never any explanation of the pictures. I think that it would be worthwhile and helpful to have some explanation . Not all of us know the people shown. For example was Broca the physiologist who discovered the area of the brain involved in speech ? Who was the handsome young aviator shown recently ? And, who in heaven's name was Great Pierre ? What is his story ? In the case of some of the maps shown, why were they shown, what point was being made ? Please, don't keep us in the dark like this.

Click on the link thats under the picture, it takes you to the thread wich most of the time have some info about it ;)

And, who in heaven's name was Great Pierre ? What is his story ?

(Hey, this one I made :) ) , you can find it on the West-Germanic --> Diets Forum

Aragorn
Thursday, April 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Why can we not post new subjects in the gallery? It is closed now for some day, and I personly hope it will be re-opened very soon:) :)

QuietWind
Thursday, April 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
My guess is that it is related to this: http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=418605

Fjörgyn
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Argh, Raven did you remember we telling us, that is better to close the gallery so long people cannot uploud attachments, because they had linked pictures from other sites in the gallery :D

Gallery is now reopened ;)

Zagas
Monday, July 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I think we should have a Gallery sub-forum just for Race, genetics stuff, etc.
There are lots of interesting pics about haplogroup maps, maps about race distribution and pics about genetic stuff and if we want to see them we need to search in lots of messages here.

I think we really should have a gallery just for those pics.

I'll show some examples of pics that should be on that sub-forum:

http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=36500&postcount=2

http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=347768&postcount=2

http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=371453&postcount=17

http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=361302&postcount=9

http://www.snpa.skadi.net/bilder/troe-map7a.jpg

I know some of them are maps, but they are maps about genetics and races so I think they should not be in the sub-forum maps but in the sub-forum "race and genetics" or something like that

soniconez
Monday, September 11th, 2006, 01:45 AM
What happend to the old Skadi Gallery thumbnails view?
A few months ago when I clicked the Gallery section I was able to find a great looking, easy to navigate through, thumbnail gallery. Now I just see a bunch of threads which contains the pictures.

So what happend?

Thorburn
Monday, September 11th, 2006, 02:20 AM
What happend to the old Skadi Gallery thumbnails view?
A few months ago when I clicked the Gallery section I was able to find a great looking, easy to navigate through, thumbnail gallery. Now I just see a bunch of threads which contains the pictures.

So what happend?
The thumbnail view is incompatible with vBulletion v3.6, so we disabled it a few weeks ago after we upgraded from v3.5. The author of the gallery will probably provide a modified code within the next weeks or even days. He actually says he has a working version running on his local machine already but still wants to make some minor adjustments.

Weiler
Thursday, October 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM
For some while the Gallery section had a format which looked just like all the other sections, with thread titles you could click on to view the pictures.

Recently it's been changed to a format where you have to view thumbnails of all the pictures in each section in alphabetical order. I find this very user-unfriendly - I don't want to have to view pictures of Adolph Hitler or anything else in order to get to pictures of Volk & Rasse.

Does anyone besides me have this complaint? If so, would it be possible to change the gallery back to the way it was?

Aeternitas
Thursday, October 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Yes, this was because the thumbnail view wasn't compatible with the older vb version. See here:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=66584

I think it's much better the way it is now. It's a feature which makes the Gallery unique.

Weiler
Thursday, October 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, this was because the thumbnail view wasn't compatible with the older vb version. See here:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=66584

I think it's much better the way it is now. It's a feature which makes the Gallery unique.
I'm confused . . .

The way the gallery is now, it is a thumbnail view. That's what I'm complaining about!

I don't understand how anyone could like the thumbnails better. It might be okay if you could click on a topic and then view some thumbnails, but if you happen to want to view a topic which begins with a 'v', at present you have to scroll through some pages beginning with 'a' and keep clicking until you get to the v's, all the while downloading a lot of pictures you're not concerned with.

In my mind this greatly discourages browsing different topics because it forces you to view many things you're not interested in. It also is an impediment to viewing new topics and new responses to old topics, because there's no way to know which are the new topics and new responses - unless you get lucky and the one you might be interested in happens to be the most recent one in the sub-section and is showing on the index page.

Would there be any way to give users the option of viewing the gallery whichever way they choose?

Oswiu
Thursday, October 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I prefer the thumbnail thing. I was looking for German dialect maps, and would have had considerable trouble trying to find them, given the odd and inconsistent titles they've been given.

Perhaps we could have a kind of Index, where anyone putting a new picture in the gallery should have to put some key words in the post, or in a separate index thread?

Pervitinist
Friday, January 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM
PS @mods Why does the [IMG] tag no longer work?

Aeternitas
Saturday, January 27th, 2007, 12:13 AM
PS @mods Why does the [IMG] tag no longer work?
The img tags are disabled for the Gallery, because pictures must be posted as attachments in order to show up as thumbnails in the preview. See the Gallery Rules (http://forums.skadi.net/skadi_gallery_rules-t54759.html?t=54759).

Soten
Monday, February 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, I figured out how to use the photo gallery!

Now, if I put any pictures under categories that they shouldn't be just move them to the more appropriate place.

I can't wait to see the pics I upload go onto the photo banner! I love contributing!

:):):)

Could someone quick tell me (Aeternitas?) what the best category should be for the photos I just uploaded? The "Defenders of the Empire" one should probably go in the propaganda art. The Peasant Dress ones I think are fine where they are. The biggest confusion I am having is where to put ones like the Alpenhorn Swissman and the Swiss at the Gasthaus...should it be Folk Art & Culture where they are now or perhaps in the Folk & Family? It doesn't seem so clear.

Aeternitas
Monday, February 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Could someone quick tell me (Aeternitas?) what the best category should be for the photos I just uploaded? The "Defenders of the Empire" one should probably go in the propaganda art. The Peasant Dress ones I think are fine where they are. The biggest confusion I am having is where to put ones like the Alpenhorn Swissman and the Swiss at the Gasthaus...should it be Folk Art & Culture where they are now or perhaps in the Folk & Family? It doesn't seem so clear.
It depends what you want to emphasize... the alphorns/folk costumes, or the people who are using/wearing them? The historical scene or what it represents politically, the propaganda it is used for? etc. There is more than one category for e.g. folk because under folk and family for example, one could post pictures of a Germanic family wearing either folk costumes or modern clothing to illustrate family cohesion or a Germanic family playing with its dog to illustrate the Germanic love for animals. While the folk art and culture could be used for posting Germanic families wearing national costumes, a Germanic man carving something in wood etc. to illustrate the Germanic art they have created and the habits they have. Some pictures might fit in more than one category (another example would be a photo of a landscape, it could go under either landscapes or photography, depending on what one wants to emphasize, the photographing technique/skills or just the landscape itself) so just choose the one you think fits best.

Soten
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008, 04:42 AM
How do you delete or edit entries into the photo gallery? I put in a picture of two boy soldiers from WWI and apparently it was only two photos side-by-side and not one image, only one made it in. So the description and title say there are two boys but there is only one...it looks kinda silly.

Aeternitas
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
You have to ask a Staff member (http://forums.skadi.net/showgroups.php). You have to link them to the photo you're talking about, tell them what exactly you want to change and they'll do it for you. :)

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, April 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I want to congratulate for the Picture Gallery and to all the Users who posted wonderful Pictures there. It's a real Pleasure to browse it and see such high Quality Material. More Users should be encouraged to participate to the Gallery. :)

Guntwachar
Saturday, April 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
True I just started and love it we get a quite big amount of pics now already so keep up the good work.;)
Oh yeah I posted some Dutch kings and the king of the Franks under Empires & Citizens or so is this the right place for it or not?

Oswiu
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I was about to make a post saying the following the other night:

The forum ate my new map upload and description,:(:puppyeyes and all it gave in return was this:

Sorry, Oswiu: Bad File - No File or File is too Large or of the Wrong MIME Type
What does that mean? :confused:
Was it too big? 792KB, 1437x1127
But then I read above where it says

You can upload only one picture at a time but the number of pictures you can add overall is unlimited. The file size is also unlimited.
File types currently uploadable: GIF, JPG, PNG, gif, jpg, png.
Converted to a GIF, my map is now a mere 266KB, anyway! :)

Can I ask if there's any reason behind the omission of provision for BMPs, though?

... now I see there's no gallery at all for the timebeing, so this can obviously wait.

Aeternitas
Thursday, April 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I was about to make a post saying the following the other night:

The forum ate my new map upload and description,:(:puppyeyes and all it gave in return was this:

Sorry, Oswiu: Bad File - No File or File is too Large or of the Wrong MIME Type What does that mean? :confused:
Was it too big? 792KB, 1437x1127But then I read above where it says

You can upload only one picture at a time but the number of pictures you can add overall is unlimited. The file size is also unlimited.
File types currently uploadable: GIF, JPG, PNG, gif, jpg, png.Converted to a GIF, my map is now a mere 266KB, anyway! :)

Can I ask if there's any reason behind the omission of provision for BMPs, though?
No idea, you would have to ask the developer. ;) I'm only guessing that it could be due to the fact that bmp files take up a lot of space so compressed types are preferable.

... now I see there's no gallery at all for the timebeing, so this can obviously wait.The gallery is still accessible if you click on "Gallery (http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog)" on the navigation bar. The random thumbs from the index are just currently disabled for load purposes.