PDA

View Full Version : Keep it simple: War of the wurdz

Verđandi
Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound? Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

More... (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dail ynews.com%2Fnews%2Fci_4016936)

Janus
Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM
And what about dialects?They pronounce words different so should they now write them differently too?
Baaad idea but maybe some of the totally illogically spelled words should be changed...

Jehan
Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
There's a similar tendency in french, although not as drastic, where they want to add "s" at the end of every plurar noun instead of using the traditional alternative spellings. Ex: chevals instead of chevaux, journals instead of journaux, etc. Removal of particularly complex grammar rules(and believe me, there are many in french!) is also discussed.

I think it's pretty dumb. How hard is it to learn to spell correctly, really?:fcrazy:

The man who mentioned prefixes and suffixes has a very good point too. Languages have very logical structures, which would probably be threatened by such measures.

And that might be fear-mongering, but if we can simplify spelling, why not simplify vocabulary? That would be a doubleplusgood idea!!!:thumbup

Leofric
Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
There's a similar tendency in french, although not as drastic, where they want to add "s" at the end of every plurar noun instead of using the traditional alternative spellings. Ex: chevals instead of chevaux, journals instead of journaux, etc.
At least that would be a return to an earlier spelling rather than further departure from the earlier days. It was French spelling reform under Charlemagne that really began the process of breaking up Romance into several different languages, and that made it really distinct from Latin. Had the spelling reforms never occurred, you would be able to read and understand Latin natively (though your native pronunciation would be pretty different from theirs, of course) — as well as being able to communicate quite readily with all other speakers of Romance. A modern spelling reform that would help re-bridge the gap might be a good thing.

This propsed spelling reform in English is simply atrocious. It would only drive the wedge between English and her sister Germanic languages further. Studies on spelling reforms like this have shown that it wouldn't really do anything to improve literacy or even appreciably speed the rate of acquisition of written language (it's still an arbitrary code that must be memorized through brute force). The benefits of such a change would be nil. The costs would be great. The historical spellings make L2 learning of other Germanic languages (as well as Romance languages, by the way) by literate English-speakers a lot easier than they would otherwise be. To cut them off would only help isolate the Anglosphere further from its neighbors, both linguistically and culturally, and we isolate ourselves enough without that help.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, July 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Didn't German undergo this a few years ago? Returning to English, this is just another way to lower standards in schools. Believe it or not, elementary schools have greatly reduced the time and effort they once spent on spelling. Teachers now talk about spell check when this topic comes up. I think it is just another way to lower standards and make minorities look better. Besides, do you want a whole nation spelling as badly as I do? That even scares me.

Taras Bulba
Sunday, July 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
And the decline of the English language continues. Sup gee man!

Tripredacus
Monday, July 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Is this to make it easier on the citizens or the illegals? What else must be changed to appease them?

Sciz
Tuesday, July 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I agree with Dr. Solar Wolff that it's just another way to lower the standards. I can't believe they teach children in elementary school to use spell check :-O. I say break them of that habit early by having them try to use spell check on some Welsh.

Next on the agenda will be teaching leet shorthand such as:

"zomg!!11 u suxxorz, stfu!!"

Perhaps we can emasculate the language even further by reducing it to a series clicks and grunts. This way we could simplify the written word down to a binary system of dots and dashes.