PDA

View Full Version : Random Nietzsche Quotes/ You know you're obsessed with FW Nietzsche when...

Conquistador
Friday, July 11th, 2003, 05:08 AM
If anyone would like to share any quotes that they may have of Nietzeche's, please post them in this thread. Thank you.

316. Milieu and arrogance — One unlearns arrogance when he knows he is always among men of merit; solitude breeds presumption. Young people are arrogant because they go about with their own kind, each of whom is nothing, but wishes to be important. ("Human, All Too Human: Man in Society")

328. Humanity — The humanity of famous intellectuals consists in graciously losing the argument when dealing with the nonfamous. ("Human, All Too Human: Man In Society")

358. Demanding pity as a sign of arrogance — There are people, who, when they become angry and offend others, demand first that nothing be held against them, and second, that they be pitied because they are prey to such violent attacks. Human arrogance can go that far. ("Human, All Too Human: Man in Society")

hardcorps
Friday, July 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM
One must test oneself to see whether one is destined for independence and command; and one must do so at the proper time. One should not avoid one's tests, although they are perhaps the most dangerous game one could play and are in the end tests which are taken before ourselves and before no other judge. ('Beyong Good and Evil')

Jack
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 03:42 AM
“As a waterfall becomes slower and more floating as it plunges, so the great man of action will act with greater calm than could be expect from his violent desire before the deed”
- § 488, “Human, All too Human”, Friedrich Nietzsche.

:smilies

hardcorps
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Here's another I like:

'Bad! Bad! What? Is he not going - backwards?' - Yes! But you ill understand him if you complain about it. He goes backwards as everyone goes backwards who wants to take a big jump.- ('Beyond Good and Evil')

Exquisitely inspiring stuff!

To me Nietzsche is the ultimate psychologist as much as anything else - I understand Freud kept the complete works of N in his study. When I need psychological solace I cut out the middleman (Freud), and his cronies, and go straight to the source. Somehow he understands everything! I suppose it largely has to do with the many tragedies he suffered throught his life and what he learned as he overcome them (as much as he possibly could).
:drsuess

Siegfried
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 11:25 AM
153 Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.
Beyond Good and Evil

164 Jesus said to his Jews: "The law was made for servants—love God as I love him, as his son! What have we sons of God to do with morality!"
Beyond Good and Evil

Conquistador
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Here's my favorite. :D

204. Darkness and excessive brightness juxtaposed — Writers who do not know how to express their thoughts in general, will in particular prefer to select the strongest, most exaggerated terms and superlatives: this produces an effect as of torchlights along confusing forest paths. ("Human, All Too Human: From the Soul of Artists and Writers")

katherine
Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 04:03 AM
well, God is dead.

Jack
Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 06:52 AM
Whoever does not know how to put his thoughts on ice should not engage in the heat of argument.
- § 315, “Human, All too Human”, Friedrich Nietzsche.

The disciple of the martyr suffers more than the martyr
- § 582, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche.

Shared joy, not compassion, makes a friend
- § 499, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche.

One is punished most for one's virtues
- § 132, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche.

With hard men intimacy is a thing of shame - and something precious
- § 167, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche

Love brings to light the exalted and concealed qualities of a lover - what is rare and exceptional in him: to that extent it can easily decieve as to what is normal in him
- § 163, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche

It is inhuman to bless where one is cursed
- § 181, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche

'One can only truly respect he who does not look out for himself' - Goethe to Rat Schlosser
- § 266, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche

In revenge and in love woman is more barbarous than man
- § 139, "Human, All too Human", Friedrich Nietzsche

OnionPeeler
Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 07:11 AM
THE HAMMER SPEAKS
"Why so hard?" the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. "After all, are we not close kin?'
Why so soft? O, my brothers, thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?
Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your hearts? So little destiny in your eyes?
And if you do not want to be destinies and inexorable ones, how can you one day triumph with me?
And if your hardness does not wish to flash and cut and cut through, how can you one day create with me?
For all creators are hard. And it must seem blessedness to you to impress your hand on millennia as on bronze-harder than bronze, nobler than bronze. Only the noblest is altogether hard.
This new tablet, O my bothers, I place over you: become hard!
Zarathustra

Rahul
Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 01:39 PM
For us, the falsity of a judgment is no objection to that judgment—that's where our new way of speaking sounds perhaps most strange. The question is the extent to which it makes demands on life, sustains life, maintains the species—perhaps even creates species. And we are even ready to assert that the falsest judgments (to which a priori synthetic judgments belong) are the most indispensable to us, that without our allowing logical fictions to count, without a way of measuring reality against the purely invented world of the unconditional and self-identical, without a constant falsification of the world through numbers, human beings could not live—that if we managed to give up false judgments, it would amount to a renunciation of life, a denial of life. To concede the fictional nature of the conditions of life means, of course, taking a dangerous stand against the customary feelings about value. A new philosophy which dared to do that would thus stand alone, beyond good and evil.

- From Chapter 1 Of Beyond Good And Evil

Much of Nietzsche is like the Vaisheshika line of thought.

And I have liked that quote, OP, Thanks.

Moody
Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 04:21 PM
"The maintenance of the military state is the last means of all of acquiring or maintaining the great tradition with regard to the supreme type of man, the strong type. And all concepts that perpetuate enmity and difference of rank between states - for example nationalism, protective tariffs - may be sanctioned in that light".
[Nietzsche, Thw Will To Power, 729]

Might I add that there is a feeling abroad here that Nietzsche was a "nihilist" as if by profession; this is not so.
While he studied Nihilism, and recognised that this Nihilism was a condition of late European culture and therefore infects us all [and he did not exempt himself from that, calling himself at one time - with that relish of irony he knew so well - a 'perfect nihilist'], his whole philosophy was engaged with OVERCOMING Nihilism.

friedrich braun
Thursday, November 20th, 2003, 07:59 AM
A couple of years ago I saw some of these points posted at a board devoted to my favourite philosopher FW Nietzsche. I saved them, and periodically add some of my own points to this list. Feel free to do the same.

You know you're totally obsessed with Nietzsche when….

1. You grow a moustache, just like his, even if you're female.

2. You insist that you're an Atheist from "instinct".

3. You only respond when being addressed as “DER ÜBERMENSCH".

4. When you turn 30, you leave your home and the lake of your home, etc.

5. You learnt German specifically to read his works.

6. You attempt to learn all the languages that he knew.

7. You stand next to your local street preacher and read loudly from "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".

8. You find you become nauseous when you listen to Wagner.

9. Before doing anything, you announce firmly: "This is an expression of 'Der Wille Zur Macht!'"

10. You always write like he did.

11. You own every book he wrote.

12. Your personal library contains every book his did.

13. You travel to all the places he went.

14. You hand out copies of "The Parable of the Madman" to Priests.

15. You insist that "gay" means "joyful".

16. You maintain that "Kant was an idiot" whenever someone mentions him.

17. You can recite entire chapters of his work verbatim. In English and German.

18. You attach a large portrait of him above your bed.

19. You denounce Plato as a "bore" whenever he's mentioned.

20. You keep trying to explain to people that "God is dead".

21. You think there was a problem with Socrates.

22. You learnt how to play music, in order to honour his compositions.

23. You claim to be an "immoralist."

24. You were saddened, yet remained "hard", upon hearing of Hollingdale's death.

25. You keep the same routine he did, before his collapse.

26. You're suspicious that your sister may try to distort things you write.

27. You custom make t-shirts with his picture on them.

28. The walls in your room are covered with his aphorisms.

29. You climb mountains.

30. You look at modern bands while thinking: "Only sick music makes money nowadays."

31. You study Philology.

32. You become a Philology professor.

33. You find that he features in all of your dreams.

34. You post on 'The Nietzsche Channel' message board.

35. You created and maintain 'The Nietzsche Channel'. (We're glad you did, though)

36. You purchase every book about him.

37. You write angry letters to the publishers of such books, if their facts are wrong.

38. You find yourself thinking of others as "decadent".

39. You name your pet "Zarathustra", or "Dionysus".

40. You proclaim yourself to be a "free spirit".

41. Happiness, to you, is "The feeling that power increases--that resistance is overcome."

42. Suffering an injury, you repeat "Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus."

43. You refuse to pity.

44. You celebrate his birthday.

45. You never, ever, ever drink alcohol.

46. You live alone, and take consolation with the fact that you must be a Beast, God, or Philosopher.

47. You read portions of his work religiously, before going to sleep.

48. You speak to your heart.

49. You change your name to Friedrich or Wilhelm, even if you're female.

50. You name your daughter Ariadne.

51. You stubbornly pretend to be a "Polish nobleman."

52. You good-naturedly complain that Stendhal robbed you of the best atheist joke, which precisely you could have made: "God's only excuse is that he does not exist."

53. You add to this list.

Parzifal_
Thursday, November 20th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Hey you forgot:
1. You carry a stick when going to meet a woman.
2. You declare to all woman that "Man is at the root...base, but woman is wicked"

.....Remember!!??

Triglav
Thursday, November 20th, 2003, 11:44 PM
I was leafing through Nietzsche's books yesterday a little and reading up on my favourite chapters. This is my random quote for today:

"Goethe conceived a human being who would be strong, highly educated, skillful in all bodily matters, self-controlled, reverent toward himself, and who might dare to afford the whole range and wealth of being natural, being strong enough for such freedom; the man of tolerance, not from weakness but from strength, because he knows how to use to his advantage even that from which the average nature would perish; the man for whom there is no longer anything that is forbidden--unless it be weakness, whether called vice or virtue.

Such a spirit who has become free stands amid the cosmos with a joyous and trusting fatalism, in the faith that only the particular is loathesome, and that all is redeemed and affirmed in the whole--he does not negate anymore. Such a faith, however, is the highest of all possible faiths: I have baptized it with the name of Dionysus."