PDA

View Full Version : What is the estimated date of the proto-Capoid/-Khoisanid split ...

vingul
Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM
... from the remnant African population? Any suggestions?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 07:04 AM
According to Coon who reviewed the evidence, up until about 2000 years ago all of South and East Africa was inhabited by Capoids. These were not necessarily Bushmen or Hottentots or Sandloopers or any of the mixed peoples which are said to still inhabit lakes and river enviornments of East Africa, instead they were a full-sized people. Louis Leakey in his book Stone Age Races of Kenya finds fossil evidence for this type and Coon heavily relied upon it. As Negroes moved eastward and the Nilolitic Negroes moved South, and as the Hammitic peoples moved into East Africa, these full size Capoids were forced into marginal areas where it was harder to make a living--or they were forced to adopt more modern economies, or they were forced to interbreed with the newcomers. Those pushed into marginal areas became reduced in stature. Negroes, as they do everywhere, wanted non-Negro women and so there exists a whole history of South and East African "tribes" which turned Black after originally being Yellowish. The ruins at Zimbabwe are attributed to a mixed population of Capoids and Bantus. So, I guess the answer to your question is that any divergence is almost modern in origin.

vingul
Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Did not Coon also theorize that the early Capoid population migrated southeastward and southward throughout eastern Africa from a more northerly source, perhaps as far north as the southern Mediterranean coast, before they were dispossessed and gradually reduced?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, July 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Did not Coon also theorize that the early Capoid population migrated southeastward and southward throughout eastern Africa from a more northerly source, perhaps as far north as the southern Mediterranean coast, before they were dispossessed and gradually reduced?

As I remember it, Coon thought that North, East and South Africa were all inhabited by Capoids until the Bantu expansion which is very recent. I forget where their first home was but all these areas are sunny and dry so it could be anywhere.