PDA

View Full Version : MMA: Who is the Best?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Personally, I like MMA very much. In fact, I am addicted to it. There are at least three, maybe four organizations in mixed martial arts, each with their champions in each weight class. There are people at Skadi who follow this sport and know more than I do about it so, what do you think, who is really the best at each weight class??

In the heavyweight class, I like the Russian, Fedor. Any argument here?

Drömmarnas Stig
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM
UFC (octagon) has the best middleweights, Pride FC (the japanese org. fighting in a boxing ring) the best heavyweights.

I watch the UFC frequently.
I would say that Andrey Arlovski (albeit he lost to Tim Silvia recently), Chuck Liddell (still), Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin and ever more Kenny Florian are the top players.
TUF (the ultimate fighter; reality show) introduced us to some great talents:
Michael Bisping (205 lbs), Ed Herman, Kalib Starnes and Kendall Grove (185).

My all-time favourite is Randy Couture because he is the perfect fighter and role-model. No trash-talker like most, but a very well-mannered and flawless person. The perfect messenger to the sport.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, June 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Randy Couture was a great athelete and fighter. In one fight with Chuck Liddell, he actually outboxed him!

UFC: Does anybody think Ken Shamrock has a chance against Tito Ortiz in their upcoming fight?

Eberhardt
Friday, June 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Shamrock is most likely going to be beaten down like he did in the last fight against Ortiz, but we'll see.

Personally: Matt Hughes, Andrei Arlovsky(sp?), Wanderlei Silva (I hate the guy but he's one of the most unpredictable fighters I've seen in a while), and you can't forget about Mirko "Cro-cop".

I like Bisping a lot. He's a very promising fighter, so I'm hoping he'll do well in the UFC.

Don Frye is my all-time favorite, but does anyone know if he still fights? He's getting to that age where he could be retired, though I have no idea.

Drömmarnas Stig
Friday, June 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Don Frye is my all-time favorite, but does anyone know if he still fights?

Incredibly enough he will make his return to the UFC soon enough.
He is well over 40 and well beyond his prime, but still looking good (much better than Shamrock).
Don't forget that Freddie Mercury a.k.a. Dan Severn dominated the UFC from his mid 30's to early 40's.
Don Frye is amazing. The way he transformed from a pure wrestler to a well-rounded mma-athlete with decent submission skills is unbelievable.

He wouldn't have a chance againt the young guns of course, but of all the "old-timers" he is by far the best, including Shamrock.

Eberhardt
Friday, June 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM
He wouldn't have a chance againt the young guns of course, but of all the "old-timers" he is by far the best, including Shamrock.
True, but he has a lot more heart than the rest of the old-timers as well. Look at his fight with Shamrock when Frye held out against a toe-hold for minutes to finish a round. Then came back and mauled Shamrock. So if the younger fighters give him a beating he'll most likely withstand the punishment and wouldn't give until the ref called it. I heard that in a certain fight he actually had his arm broken in a submission hold, but never tapped.

Theudiskaz
Friday, June 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
UFC: Does anybody think Ken Shamrock has a chance against Tito Ortiz in their upcoming fight? Ken Shamrock doesn't have a chance. He's getting old, he's not in great shape and frankly, I think he's an idiot. I regret the fact that Tito Ortiz has been disrespectful to him, but Ortiz is sharper, younger and trains vigorously, high altitude conditioning etc.

IMO Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin (from my home town), Chuck Lidell, Andrei Arlawski, and Stewart Griffin are the best fighters right now, and yes, Michael Bisping is sure to do well. He's all business.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Ken Shamrock doesn't have a chance. He's getting old, he's not in great shape and frankly, I think he's an idiot. I regret the fact that Tito Ortiz has been disrespectful to him, but Ortiz is sharper, younger and trains vigorously, high altitude conditioning etc.

IMO Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin (from my home town), Chuck Lidell, Andrei Arlawski, and Stewart Griffin are the best fighters right now, and yes, Michael Bisping is sure to do well. He's all business.

I really enjoyed Michael Bisping's frankness and openess on Ultimate Fighter. Nobody is sorry he won. He does have a lot of improving to do before he becomes a contender but he is undefeated now, so you have to respect this guy.

Tito will probably kick Ken's butt but Tito should appologize, afterward, for his disrespectful words to Ken and let Ken retire with grace and dignity. Otherwise, Ken is so lame that he may haunt Tito forever.

Glynd Eastŵd
Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I'm also a big fan of Fedor. His 'ground and pound' tactics seem to be pretty primitive compared to other competitors' technique, but he has perfected them, and they are highly effective in the ring. I don't think he's ever been beaten, apart from the time when he had to retire from the ring due a laceration on his eye.

Another favourite of mine is the Japanese fighter, Genki Sudo. He's also really entertaining to watch. The agility with which he fights with is nearly unmatched. His entries are also sometimes ridiculous. :D