PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the smilies go?

cosmocreator
Wednesday, October 1st, 2003, 09:56 PM
I've had problems when I leave the smilies window open, then continue reading posts. I just clicked on a link in a post and it happened again. The smilies window maximizies automatically and becomes all blurred and flashes. I'm unable to click the close X at the top right because the whole screen is flashing incongruent smilies.

Thorburn
Thursday, October 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM
I've had problems when I leave the smilies window open, then continue reading posts. I just clicked on a link in a post and it happened again. The smilies window maximizies automatically and becomes all blurred and flashes. I'm unable to click the close X at the top right because the whole screen is flashing incongruent smilies.
Thanks for reporting it. Which smiley window - the one one can open when one posts, or the one one can open at the bottom of a forum?

Is that a reproduceable behavior? Sounds almost as if you have been running low in resources.

cosmocreator
Thursday, October 2nd, 2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for reporting it. Which smiley window - the one one can open when one posts, or the one one can open at the bottom of a forum?

Is that a reproduceable behavior? Sounds almost as if you have been running low in resources.

The one you open when you post. What do you mean running low in resources?

Thorburn
Thursday, October 2nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
The one you open when you post. What do you mean running low in resources?
Under Windows, there is an area in memory called system resource area that is used by the input manager (so-called user resources) and the graphic display interface manager (so-called GDI resources) for keeping track of all of the windows that are open in a session and for drawing objects on the screen. The system resources limit their data to a single 64Kb segment of conventional memory (within the first 640 kB block; the reason for this is that the Intel processors can access data from a 64Kb segment much faster than from a wider area). If either of these segments becomes full, programs will fail to load and Windows will become unstable - regardless of how much other free memory there is.

When you open and close windows, GDI resources are used in order to draw them and the objects therein onto the screen. Ideally, the used GDI resources should be released whenever a window is closed and a program is terminated, but, alas, this does not work flawlessly.

Consequently, if you work on a machine for a long time, continually starting and terminating programs, or opening and closing windows, or simply filling existing windows with ever new content, it will happen that you eventually "run out of resources". Needless to say that browser pages that contain tons of images and animated graphics (like the smiley page) are particularly resource-intensive.

Problems similar to the one you described happen when the available free GDI resources run lower than 10% (at 0% the machine will definitely crash): objects start to flash and are incompletely drawn, windows fail to open or to close, &c.

Although you can temporarily free some resources by terminating unused open applications and windows, it is definitely recommended to reboot once problems occur, what will free all the occupied system resources again.

Kind regards,

- Thorburn

cosmocreator
Thursday, October 2nd, 2003, 09:07 PM
That sounds like what happened.

cosmocreator
Thursday, October 30th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Wonder if it would be possibly to split it into 2 or more pages? It always overloads my RAM. Probably happens to others as well.

Or maybe you could click on "Show All Smilies" which takes you to a page which is broken down into sub-section "Standard Smilies" "Angelic and Devilish Smilies" "Fruits and Vegetables" etc. Then you could click on the sub-section you want.

Allenson
Friday, October 31st, 2003, 01:44 PM
Wonder if it would be possibly to split it into 2 or more pages? It always overloads my RAM. Probably happens to others as well.

Or maybe you could click on "Show All Smilies" which takes you to a page which is broken down into sub-section "Standard Smilies" "Angelic and Devilish Smilies" "Fruits and Vegetables" etc. Then you could click on the sub-section you want.

Ineed, this happens to me as well. Personally, I don't worry about it too much as I am a bit emoticon-shy but they can be useful in conveying a feeling or sense.

Whenever I click on 'show all smilies' my monitor gets all crazy as if it had injested some magic mushrooms. :)

Thorburn
Friday, October 31st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Wonder if it would be possibly to split it into 2 or more pages? It always overloads my RAM. Probably happens to others as well.I fear that is technically not possible.

I never had this problem, though, not even with an old Pentium MMX 233 with Windows 95 and 64 MB RAM.

We do not plan to add any more smilies, though. ;)

- Thorburn

cosmocreator
Friday, October 31st, 2003, 10:22 PM
I fear that is technically not possible.

What about my 2nd suggestion of breaking them down into sub-groups? Same thing? There has to be a solution. Isn't it just one main page from which a person can click on a link to a 2nd page?

Thorburn
Friday, October 31st, 2003, 10:31 PM
What about my 2nd suggestion of breaking them down into sub-groups? Same thing? There has to be a solution. Isn't it just one main page from which a person can click on a link to a 2nd page?
Not possible either, as the vBulletin software currently offers no possibility to split the page up or to create sub-groups.

What happens actually when "your RAM gets overloaded"?

- Thorburn

cosmocreator
Friday, October 31st, 2003, 11:15 PM
Not possible either, as the vBulletin software currently offers no possibility to split the page up or to create sub-groups.

Then, the solution is to write the software. Not suggesting you should do that, just saying that is the solution.

What happens actually when "your RAM gets overloaded"?

As dalonord said, it's like it's on magic mushrooms. The image on the screen gets all broken up and flashes.

Blood_Axis
Thursday, June 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
:-O I just noticed there was some heavy pruning in the smilie list! :scratch

Div.Nordland
Thursday, June 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
At the top of the Smilie-popup is a dropdown-list "Choose a category". :hitler

Blood_Axis
Thursday, June 22nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
At the top of the Smilie-popup is a dropdown-list "Choose a category". :hitler
OH, the things one learns in old age! :D

Danke, mein Führer! :fobey:

mischak
Friday, April 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
What ever happened to the set of smilies the forum had originally? Was there a reason they were changed? I now see most of them as "post icons" now, but I preferred them to all yellow ones we have currently. It's not particularly important, but I just wondered why they were changed and if it's possible to bring the others back.:confused: