PDA

View Full Version : Do You Need Quick Reply and Quick Edit?

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
These two functions slow down the display of any thread quite a bit, i. e. it takes significantly longer for your browser to render the page. Reason is that they produce an enormous amount of HTML and JavaScript code.

Positive about them is that they probably help to reduce the load a bit (not significantly, though, because all queries but the ones for displaying an extra reply/edit page have to be issued once you submit -- it just happens in the background. In addition, the web server is more busy transferring the HTML code needed for them to your browser.)

We switched them off for the time being to see how things work out without them. We will have a look at the results and will then decide if we bring them back or not. As they do not produce extra query load, we shall also consider your opinion, naturally. So please vote in the poll and tell us what you think.

Oswiu
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Funnily enough, my cursor instinctively headed for the Quick Reply button to write this - and it wasn't there! :-O

I voted for "Yea", although I would have preferred a "ye-es, I suppose so" option. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by Quick Edit, but I suppose I will once I see this Reply of mine...

EDIT: No, the edit thingy that I was thinking of is the same as ever. Was there an old feature that I've never noticed?

Aeternitas
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I vote for this:

I used them occasionally. I can live with or without them. Either way is fine.I almost never used quick reply, so I wouldn't even notice that it's gone. Quick edit was the option to edit posts without having to load a new, separate page. It was a nice feature that came in handy if one didn't need to add a reason for the edit. The quick delete option was also a handy feature at times, IMO. Pages built up quick enough - for me, anyway, but if dumping this stuff improves the forum in any way, then I don't mind. :)

Div.Nordland
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Never used that function :D

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Oh my!!! :-O

Please bring them back! Not only I am used to it, but it is so user-friendly & functional...

Now many people will be thinking twice to make a post... :(

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM
EDIT: No, the edit thingy that I was thinking of is the same as ever. Was there an old feature that I've never noticed? Yes, if you clicked on the "Edit" button you could edit your post on the same page. Now a new page is loaded.

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Let me elaborate just a bit :P

Not only it is very convenient, but for me, it also serves a very practical purpose:

I spend most of my day at work. Since I have access to the internet, it is from there that I mostly surf Skadi (as the remaining time of my day is not nearly enough for my real life activities).

For that purpose, not only I use a "lighter" version of Skadi in the eye (I have chosen to hide banner, avatars and signatures), but I also find the "quick reply & edit" functions to be extremely useful, as I can post & edit fast and easily with just one click (well, two clicks).

If I was to wait everytime for a reply window to load, and then wait for it to load again in order to edit my posts if needed, you realize that I would be missing much precious time.

That, plus the smilie panel to the right would strike my colleagues as something awkward :P

Therefore I can't stress enough the importance of the quick reply & edit function, for all of us white collar salary slaves who are too bored to work :victory

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Fair enough. You have it back -- with one instead of two clicks. Be it then you want to quote somebody. :fwink:

Edit: This takes really much longer to load. But what the heck. Maybe as a compromise we could switch off the WYSIWYG editor in Quick Reply/Edit?

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Fair enough. You have it back -- with one instead of two clicks. Be it then you want to quote somebody. :fwink:
:emb Awwwww...thanx!!!! :fgift:

(p.s. I just love this feature :AWW)

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Edit: This takes really much longer to load. But what the heck. Maybe as a compromise we could switch off the WYSIWYG editor in Quick Reply/Edit? I wonder if a page loads any faster without WYSIWYG. Does somebody notice a difference to yesterday?

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I wonder if a page loads any faster without WYSIWYG. Does somebody notice a difference to yesterday?
For me the loading time is practically the same, with or without it. And I think that WYSIWYG is extremely useful. But I don't want to be asking for too much :emb

Alizon Device
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I often post a reply in haste, when something really interests or annoys me, only to find small but embarrassing spelling and punctuation errors.
The 'Quick edit' is handy for me to brush away these errors before anyone reads the post.

Haldís
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM
For me the loading time is practically the same, with or without it. And I think that WYSIWYG is extremely useful. But I don't want to be asking for too much :embYes, I use it also. Please switch it on again. :P

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Yes, I use it also. Please switch it on again. :P
Yes, please do...what harm can a little thing like that do anyway? :P

Haldís
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Yes, please do...what harm can a little thing like that do anyway? :P
It will be so much nicer :P

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
It will be so much nicer :P
Yes, and it will make our lives much easier..pleeeaase :D ;)

Haldís
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 09:59 PM
Yes, and it will make our lives much easier..pleeeaase :D ;)Yes, I always use it to format the articles I paste :(

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:04 PM
Yes, I always use it to format the articles I paste :(
Likewise. And it saves us precious time from manually adding [][/]tags to everything :)

Haldís
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Likewise. And it saves us precious time from manually adding [][/]tags to everything :)
I don't even know most of the tags... :)

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
I don't even know most of the tags... :)
We'll keep nagging you forever if you don't bring it back, Thorburn ;) :D

Thorburn
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
We'll keep nagging you forever if you don't bring it back, Thorburn ;) :D http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=62932&stc=1&d=1150924698 :fwink: :P

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:24 PM
http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=62932&stc=1&d=1150924698 :fwink: :P
:sofa

Thorburn
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
You know what's amazing? I never noticed until now that one can change the size and mode of the Quick Editor. :-O

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
You know what's amazing? I never noticed until now that one can change the size and mode of the Quick Editor. :-O

How is that? :scratch

[edit: I just figured it out, yay!! :AWW]

Haldís
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
You know what's amazing? I never noticed until now that one can change the size and mode of the Quick Editor. :-O That's why we needed it back... because it's as comfy as the normal editor. Thanks so much, Thorburn :cheekkiss

Thusnelda
Friday, June 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
I think its a good fuction, but somehow I never used it, anyway. Im not used too, I guess thats the reason. ;)