PDA

View Full Version : Physical Attraction: Evolutionary or Arbitrary?

Hardrada
Sunday, June 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Dear forum members,

I think that there is an element of tribal "recognition", in that we feel drawn, or attracted to the familiar....

Perhaps there's an evolutionary selective basis to this...is it possibly the human race's way of ensuring pure bloodlines, which themselves confer selective advantage in certain areas.

For instance, a lack of melanin, and its resultant de-pigmentation in the Northern races, is believed to have conferred a selective advantage on blonds and freckly red-heads, when the ice sheet receded after the last Ice Age. As a consequence, the tribes which had a larger contingent of blond and red-headed genes in their make-up, fared better in areas where there was less sunlight...
Which might explain why there is a strong presence of blondism and rufosity, the further North you go in Europe..?

(Personally, I much prefer northern climes as a holiday destination, and I'm at my happiest when the weather is bright but cold. I can't abide too much sun, unless it's accomapnied by sharp frosty weather..!!)

Furthermore, are we attracted to each other tribally, subconcsiously, or is physical attraction entirely a matter of personal taste....?

Equally, do opposites attract, ..? as I have noticed that a lot of small women, tend to partner up with big men...is this some unconcious way of trying to level out the genes for height, or do they just prefer a big lad to protect them...?:D

What does the group think..?

All the best,

H

RedJack
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I think people tend to be attracted to others of the same race rather than those of a different race. That opposites attract thing really only works in a minor way.

Bridie
Friday, June 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
On a psychological level, I think that we are attracted to those who we intuit will complete us. This encompasses many factors.... from being attracted to those have similar qualities to people that we had relationships AND unresloved issues with in childhood ---- it is the sub-conscious' attempt as an adult to resolve the still present issues from childhood that affect the psyche and prevent "completeness" as a person..... to being attracted to those who are our polar opposites in order to "balance" out our personalities. And the more polarised with regards to a certain characteristic a person is, the more they will feel attracted to their opposite. So a really fearful person may be strongly attracted to bold, fearless people, as a means for the person to learn from their friend/partner to become less fearful. (Kind of like having someone else's mood or personality rub off on another.)

Our polar opposites imo will always create an emotional response in us.... sometimes it will be love, sometimes it will be hate.... but the two emotions are closely related and often dependant on each other, so that's not really surprising. You know what they say.... hate isn't the opposite of love... indifference is.

Although, obviously we will feel more at ease with those we share at least some common ground.... perhaps it may be a similar background (social class, style of parenting etc), or a similar way of dealing with conflict etc etc. I think that the characteristics that we are attracted to that are "similar" to ours, as opposed to "opposite", will be our more moderate characteristics that don't need balancing. Eg, person "A" is timid and this is an issue for them so it needs balancing, thus they are attracted to fearless people. Yet "A" also moderately compassionate. This latter characteristic is a virtue for them rather than a problem, so they will most likely be attracted to others that display this quality also.

Now, I believe that all physical form is symbollically interpreted, so as far as physical attraction goes, we tend to be attracted to those physical characteristics which represent certain psychological traits to us which we find desirable. Eg, Person "A", who is attracted to fearless/bold people, may assign the characteristic of "boldness" to a strong jaw, or great height etc.... and would therefore be attracted to these physical characteristics. "A" might also sub-consciously find big eyes symbollic of compassion, thus they will also be attracted to those with big eyes.

That's my take on attraction between people; excluding primal, instinctive, sexual attraction.... this is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Heksulv
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 02:43 AM
I don't know about other people, but I find that people of a similar subracial makeup as myself are more attractive to me.

That's not to say that another person who's not alpine/dinaric/pontic isn't attractive - I mean that the looks that I find most attractive are within a similar subracial group.

Anyone else agree?

Oswiu
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 03:50 AM
I don't know about other people, but I find that people of a similar subracial makeup as myself are more attractive to me.

That's not to say that another person who's not alpine/dinaric/pontic isn't attractive - I mean that the looks that I find most attractive are within a similar subracial group.

Anyone else agree?
I broadly agree, and suppose it could even be called a generally observed phenomenon. People often vaguely resemble their spouses, for instance. I don't know if it's instinctive though, so much as a learnt thing based on our conditioning in youth. I think we look for something not too different from our own families. This is probably stronger in people who have been more brought up to feel a greater attachment to their family versus outsiders, thus explaining why it's a far from universal trend.

I find pure Nordids rather disconcerting, to tell the truth, as I never really knew such people in my childhood. I'm roughly Atlantid, phenotypically speaking, and do tend to 'fancy' other Atlantids, AtlantoMediterranids and closely allied Pontids [this can be tested by merely considering what celebrities you think are more beautiful!], and can thus echo the comments made by my Welsh fellow in your classifications thread that you are a very pretty girl. ;) :D

Sciz
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
I don't know if it's instinctive though, so much as a learnt thing based on our conditioning in youth. I think we look for something not too different from our own families.
I have to agree with you on this. I tend to be attracted to strong-willed individualists. I've thought about it before and come to the conclusion that it was because all of the women in my family, on both sides, were strong, independent women who knew what they wanted and weren't afraid to get into a brawl if need be. They have to be that way to be able to put up with the men in my family who are doubly so.

As a result, women who are too prissy or who don't follow their dreams and expect a man to do everything for them irritate me. :thumbdown If I wanted to spend time with a child, I'd become a teacher.

As far as subracial attraction, that depends. I'm Keltic Nordic, and while I'm definitely most strongly attracted to KNs, I find I'm also strongly attracted to borreby women as well. Alpine women come in third. I can objectively see the beauty of other Nordids, but there's absolutely no feeling there for me.

Sciz
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Also, while I think opposites attract initially, with some exceptions, it's mainly the underlying similarities in personality that lead to a stable, long lasting and enjoyable relationship. I think this holds true regardless of similarities or differences in subracial type. :thumbup

Hardrada
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Anyone else agree?

Heksulv,

This was precisely the point I was strying to establish, and it appears that, to most, attraction is not heavily influenced by racial sub-grouping.
Personally, as a Tronder/Falian subtype, I find Nordic women profoundly attractive, and yet I married a petite brunette...!!:D
My four children are an interesting mix, they all have fair skin, and the boys are very blue - eyed...but none of them have my red/blond hair..it'll be interesting to see who they pair up with, when they're older..

Skol,

Hardrada.

Bridie
Saturday, July 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Personally, as a Tronder/Falian subtype, I find Nordic women profoundly attractive, and yet I married a petite brunette...!!:D

That's so funny... I think a lot of people end up marrying someone who isn't really their physical "type" in general. My Mum, for example, said she always liked olive skinned, dark haired/eyed guys, yet ended up marrying my Dad who has white blonde hair, pale blue eyes, and such fair skin that he never tans at all - his freckles just get darker! LOL

And I must admit that I have always had a bit of a thing for tall, red-headed guys (my boyfriend of 4 years in high school had bright red hair and bright blue eyes) - yet I married a relatively short, dark haired guy (although he still has bright blue eyes and very fair skin that freckles easily. ;) ) Apparently I'm Skandonordid with some Troender influence.

Psychologically, my husband and I are opposites in many ways, yet this is fine.... he actually has characteristics that are so similar to both my mum and my dad, that these traits are familiar to me and I guess that makes me feel comfortable. I couldn't have married someone too much like me - it would have driven me insane!! :headbang

:lol

The Horned God
Sunday, July 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
I'm Atlantid and I've been attracted to blonds, brunets and red heads in the past phenotypically anything from Irish Brune to Atlantid to the quasi Nordic which most blonds in Ireland seem to be, can be attractive to me.

True Nordics look slightly foreign to me, but I certainly find good looking examples attractive, I don't think it is racial sub-type which is the main factor in whether or not the "attraction light" goes on in my head; things like health, relative facial symmetry, temperment, and tone of voice, are more important.