PDA

View Full Version : Etymology of the racial slur "coon"

Glynd Eastŵd
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but it's been plaguing my mind for a while now, and I'd like to set things straight. Is the famous physical anthropologist Carletoon Coon the inspiration for this word? If so, how did it come about? Thanks.

Sigurd Volsung
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Probably refers to the Portuguese word for slave pens or barracks "baracoons". Could also have meaning as a shortening of "raccoon", as raccoons have a tendency to steal. Possibly from Dr. Carleton Coon, who, in the mid-1960's, theorized that blacks were less evolved than whites.

Source:http://www.rsdb.org/

Glynd Eastŵd
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 01:48 AM

How strange and ironic. Thanks for the info.

lei.talk
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Possibly from Dr. Carleton Coon, who, in the mid-1960's,
theorized that blacks were less evolved than whites.from direct personal experience,
that particular epithet was in popular usage
during the forties and fifties.

nicholas
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Are you suggesting blacks have a tendency to steal? I think anyone of any color will steal under the right circumstances and in some instances stealing is justified.

I always thought the word "coon" was more closely related to the dark circles under the eyes of racoons and blacks.

Nordgau
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
"coon was orignally a short form for raccoon in 1741.then by 1832 meant a frontier rustic, and by 1840 a Whig. The 1834 song 'Zip Coon' (better know today as 'Turkey in the Straw') didn't refer specifically to either a White or a Black and the 'coon songs' of the 1840s and 50s were Whig political songs. By 1862, however, coon had come to mean a Black and this use was made very common by the popular 1896 song 'All Coons Look Alike to Me,' written by Ernest Hogan, a Black who didn't consider the word derogatory at the time." From "I Hear America Talking" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Von Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1976), Page 54.
(Source (http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/40/messages/642.html))

Theudiskaz
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Listen guys, the reason they are called "coons" is really simple. When you come across a negro in the dark, the only thing you can see is their eyes shining, just like a raccoon (which is often referred to simply as a "coon" in America.) This is the only explanation I have ever heard. All of the complex etymologies are just politically correct attempts to avoid the fact that you can only see their eyes in the dark.;)

Enibas
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Coon, the short form for Raccoon, is somethimes used in the USA as a racist swearword for blacks. This word comes from the age of the slavery. The Farmers breed a special hound dog for hunting racoons, the coonhound. If a black slave escaped form the farm the took coonhounds to catch him.

Nordgau
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Har, har, har, one certainly couldn't say that African Americans didn't deliver noteworthy contributions to American culture. :D

All Coons Look Alike to Me
Ernest Hogan, 1896

Talk about a coon a having trouble
I think I have enough of ma own
It's alla bout ma Lucy Jane Stubbles
And she has caused my heart to mourn
Thar’s another coon barber from Virginia
In soci’ty he’s the leader of the day
And now ma honey gal is gwine to quit me
Yes she’s gone and drove this coon away
She’d no excuse to turn me loose
I’ve been abused, I’m all confused
Cause these words she did say

Chorus:
All coons look alike to me
I’ve got another beau, you see
And he’s just as good to me as you, nig!
Ever tried to be
He spends his money free,
I know we can’t agree
So I don’t like you no how
All coons look alike to me

Never said a word to hurt her feelings
I always bou’t her presents by the score
And now my brain with sorrow am a reeling
Cause she won’t accept them any more
If I treated her wrong she may have loved me
Like all the rest she’s gone and let me down
If I’m lucky I’m a gwine to catch my policy
And win my sweet thing way from town
For I’m worried, yes, I’m desp’rate
I’ve been Jonahed, and I’ll get dang’rous
If these words she says to me

Repeat Chorus

http://www.health-bytes.com/Health%20Quiz/Hogan_Oval.jpg

Ernest Hogan was a native of Bowling Green, Kentucky. Ernest Hogan grew up in the Shake Rag District of Bowling Green in the 1860's and 1870's. As a teen, he joined a traveling minstrel show, where he honed his musical and comedic talents. His first big hit, which you are about to hear, was the first of a new genre of music, which he coined "ragtime", in 1895.

Scott Joplin was quick to pick up the ragtime style in his 1898 composition, Maple Leaf Rag. However, it was Ernest Hogan who went on to become the world's most popular African-American entertainer of his time. He was the first black entertainer to produce (and star in) a New York Broadway show, The Oyster Man, in 1909.

Ernest Hogan died of tuberculosis later that year at the age of 44.

Many of Hogan's songs utilize racist humor, such as using the word "coon" and stereotyped behaviors. Later in his life he regretted having to use this form of humor, yet it was his only means of access to the racist entertainment world of his day.

Regardless of the titles and words of his songs, the music itself had a profound influence on the development of original American music of the 20th century.

Patrioten
Saturday, June 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Are you suggesting blacks have a tendency to steal? I think anyone of any color will steal under the right circumstances and in some instances stealing is justified.I myself am very much suggesting that blacks in particular have a disproportionate tendency to steal and engage in other criminal behaviour. Are you saying they dont? Blaming poverty is just a bullshit excuse.

nicholas
Sunday, June 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I myself am very much suggesting that blacks in particular have a disproportionate tendency to steal and engage in other criminal behaviour. Are you saying they dont? Blaming poverty is just a bullshit excuse.

If you say blacks steal and those same blacks live below poverty level then indeed there is a correlation. As far as I know, the greatest number of people living below poverty level are blacks.

One must also consider demographics in regards to geography. Most poor whites I see live in trailer parks, whilst poor blacks tend to live in inner city settings.

Explain why you think poverty is a "bullshit excuse".

Siegfried
Sunday, June 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
If you say blacks steal and those same blacks live below poverty level then indeed there is a correlation. As far as I know, the greatest number of people living below poverty level are blacks.

One must also consider demographics in regards to geography. Most poor whites I see live in trailer parks, whilst poor blacks tend to live in inner city settings.

Explain why you think poverty is a "bullshit excuse".

Why are blacks disproportionately poor?

Glynd Eastŵd
Sunday, June 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Lets not turn this thread into one of those things, please.

Siegfried
Sunday, June 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Lets not turn this thread into one of those things, please.

You're right. Let's get back on topic.

Allenson
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Listen guys, the reason they are called "coons" is really simple. When you come across a negro in the dark, the only thing you can see is their eyes shining, just like a raccoon (which is often referred to simply as a "coon" in America.) This is the only explanation I have ever heard. All of the complex etymologies are just politically correct attempts to avoid the fact that you can only see their eyes in the dark.;)

This was always my understanding.... It is amazing how at night, often there is nothing but a pair of eyes bobbing along. ;)

As far as "coon" having anything to do with Carleton Coon--the fact that "coon" was in usage long before Coon's day pretty much seals the deal.

Oswiu
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I asked as an aside in another thread about the origin of K.I.K.E. Anyone have any idea?

Ĉmeric
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
In some parts of America there are coon hunting clubs. There is one a few miles from where I live but I'm not a member so I do'nt know which kind of coon they hunt.:D

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Are you suggesting blacks have a tendency to steal? I think anyone of any color will steal under the right circumstances and in some instances stealing is justified.

I always thought the word "coon" was more closely related to the dark circles under the eyes of racoons and blacks.

This is my understanding, combined with the fact that racoons smell very bad.

Weg
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I asked as an aside in another thread about the origin of K.I.K.E. Anyone have any idea?

I had read this : http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ/11-Miscellaneous/section-14.html