PDA

View Full Version : Cronulla: Woman Charged Over Race Riot



Horagalles
Tuesday, June 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Woman charged over race riot

From: AAP
By Adam Bennett
June 11, 2006

A 22-year-old Cronulla woman has been charged and a teenage boy has come forward in relation to the Cronulla riot after police released photographs of six people wanted for questioning over the December violence.
The photographs of the six people, five men and one woman, were released by detectives from Strike Force Enoggera.
A police spokeswoman said the woman, who was pictured on the front page of a The Sunday Telegraph today, went to Hurstville police station around 1.15pm (AEST) where she was arrested by detectives from Strike Force Enoggera.
Following questioning she was this evening charged with riot and affray and throw missile and will appear in Sutherland Local Court on July 6.
She was allegedly among an angry mob who attacked people of Middle Eastern appearance at North Cronulla beach.
A 17-year-old male, also among the six pictured, attended Miranda police station shortly before 5pm (AEST) and was assisting police with inquiries into an incident at Cronulla railway station on Sunday December 11 in which two people were attacked in a railway carriage.

Police have not heard yet from the remaining four males.

In the riot, bottles also were thrown at police officers, vehicles and an ambulance.
The arrest and questioning came after NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney defended the delayed release of the photographs.
"I said at the time of the Cronulla riots and the post-Cronulla riots that these investigations would take as long as was required," he said.
"They weren't set by timeframe and we will continue our investigations to identify those who were responsible for riotous behaviour and civil disorder.
"And we will continue our investigations to bring those responsible for that behaviour, which was completely unacceptable, and we'll bring them before the courts."
NSW opposition leader Peter Debnam today criticised the speed of the investigation, saying the NSW Government "consistently refuses to put the resources into locking those people up".
Mr Debnam questioned why photographs of Middle Eastern men involved in reprisal attacks had not been released, and called on the government to offer $20,000 rewards for information leading to the conviction of offenders.
"I think it is about time a $20,000 reward was put up for each conviction, whether they were involved in the violence at the riot at Cronulla or whether they were Middle Eastern thugs (involved in the reprisal attacks)," he said.
"Let's actually get serious about rounding these crims and thugs up.
"We saw this morning, photographs of six people from the Cronulla riots. We haven't seen the photographs of the 200 Middle Eastern thugs.
"I've always said that this Labor Government will not lock up Middle Eastern thugs." Photographs released of 20 people earlier this year led to 16 males being arrested and charged, while inquiries are under way to identify the other four.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19436689-2,00.html

They looked for the Whites, but not the Mid Easterners....