PDA

View Full Version : Found out village my family is from

ubbe
Thursday, June 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Well last week there was an article in a local newspaper about a musuem opening up in the Netherlands dedicated to a neighborhood on the southside of Chicago, IL called Roseland. Roseland was mostly Dutch until the 1960s. It was founded in 1849 when almost the entire population of the village of Eenigenburg emigrated to the US. Anyways it was lost to time what village my family came from until this article showed up. All we knew was that our family was one of the original families of Roseland. Eenigenburg is located in North Holland in the municipality of Harenkarspel. Cool thing is this accounts for multiple generations on my fatherside due to the fact that there were only 20 or so families living in isolation in Roseland for a deceent amount of time and they all came from the same village in the fatherland.

ubbe
Friday, June 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well thanks to the mormon genealogy database I can now trace my family back all the way to roughly 1700. It seems my family lived in the same area near Schoorl a couple miles off the coast NW of Alkmaar in North Holland/ West Friesland for 150 years before emmigrating to the US in 1849. Once coming to the US, my family intermarried with families from the same region of North Holland exclusively until my Dad broke the cycle and married a Polish girl.