PDA

View Full Version : German Settlers in the Ukraine

Zyklop
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yes and I can bring up the way German settlers treated Ukrainian peasentsThis personally interests me. How did they treat Ukranian peasants?

Taras Bulba
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Long story short for now, Catherine the Great invited Mennonite settlers from Prussia into Ukraine as a means of keeping the rebellious Ukrainian peasents under control, particularly by taking away land from Ukrainians and giving it to the Mennonites. So in many quarters of Ukrainian society, there was no love for the German settlers.

However there were bright spots as well. But I'll have to go into more detail about that later.

Zyklop
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Long story short for now, Catherine the Great invited Mennonite settlers from Prussia into Ukraine as a means of keeping the rebellious Ukrainian peasents under control, particularly by taking away land from Ukrainians and giving it to the Mennonites. So in many quarters of Ukrainian society, there was no love for the German settlers. Actually, Catherine The Great invited German settlers to colonize abandoned land. The Germans build communities there and kept among themselves. How can they keep rebellious Ukrainians under control?

Taras Bulba
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Many of the German settlers owned Ukrainians as serfs. Most famous example was Taras Shevchenko.

Zyklop
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Many of the German settlers owned Ukrainians as serfs. Most famous example was Taras Shevchenko.Moryntsi was a German village? I seriously doubt this.

Siegmund
Monday, May 15th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Split from Strange: The American way of Nazism (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=54203).

Taras Bulba
Monday, May 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Moryntsi was a German village? I seriously doubt this.

Do you deny that Shevchenko's master was Pavel Engelhardt?

Taras Bulba
Monday, May 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Actually, Catherine The Great invited German settlers to colonize abandoned land.

Not entirely....the Zaporozhian kozaks lived near the areas and staunchly resisted the growing enchroachments of both the Russian imperial government and foreign settlers.

Zyklop
Monday, May 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Do you deny that Shevchenko's master was Pavel Engelhardt?Sounds Jewish.

Jäger
Tuesday, May 16th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Sounds Jewish.
How come? Pavel is czech, and Engelhardt is quite common in Germany.

I don't really doubt that some germans might have surpressed others in an econmic way, but I am also interested in this, so if Bulbas could provide more information I would be glad to hear it.