PDA

View Full Version : Good Boxing Workouts?

Taras Bulba
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 07:38 AM
Does anybody know of any websites with good advice for boxing workouts?

Awar
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 04:04 PM
I think it's best if you go to a gym and ask around.
It's best if you start out with a punching bag, just to learn how to hold your fist ( not to break your arm ) and to get some stamina and ( basic ) speed.

There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says:

Bruce Lee didn't learn Kung-Fu from a web-site! :D

Vojvoda
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 04:17 PM
It's best if you start out with a punching bag, just to learn how to hold your fist ( not to break your arm ) and to get some stamina and ( basic ) speed.

:rofl

Yes, the best overall workout is the punching of the bag, good for the body and the mind!

Stríbog
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Does anybody know of any websites with good advice for boxing workouts?

Go to a meat locker, and punch a hanging side of raw beef. Drink plenty of raw egg milkshakes, and chase a chicken to improve your quickness. :-D

Awar
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 08:06 PM
Oh! ..and Pushkin! DON'T GO TO ANY DUELS! You'll get killed! ;)

Taras Bulba
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 08:42 PM

Thanks I'll take that advice!

:D good advice! Trust me I know that, I was just looking for basic advice.

Oh! ..and Pushkin! DON'T GO TO ANY DUELS! You'll get killed!

Oh, but I like duelling! :D

Scáthach
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 09:26 PM
You could join an amateur boxing club. My cousin did that a couple of years ago and is now the Leinster champion boxer (couldn't resist sorry LOL) but anyway, the emphasis is on talent if you will and self defence rather than an attempt to knock out your opponent. Still excellent to watch. All you men should take it up! :D

Taras Bulba
Saturday, November 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM
You could join an amateur boxing club. My cousin did that a couple of years ago and is now the Leinster champion boxer (couldn't resist sorry LOL) but anyway, the emphasis is on talent if you will and self defence rather than an attempt to knock out your opponent. Still excellent to watch. All you men should take it up! :D

Yes I do agree that Boxing is fun to watch. Too bad that most of the matches you see on TV these days are with blacks and hispanics, with the occasional white guy.

As for the amateur club, I've been trying to find one in my area but I haven't had much luck. Most people in my area are a bunch of soft yuppie sissies!

Pomor
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 05:26 AM
Punching a bag is good, but its much better to participate in actual fights. My friends and I gather in our garage once a week usually on weekends, we pull the cars out and go for boxing. One of them is a boxer with 5 years experience, so he guides and teaches us. Very important to have mouth-guards, so you don't have your teeth broken or your lips cut.
One thing is for sure - after several months of boxing I know that I can knock down a guy of the same wieght as me, unless he has some boxing or some other fighting experience. Nothing can teach you to fight faster than boxing. Karate is good and maybe even better than boxing only if you dedicate your life to it, but not in a short period of time.

Vojvoda
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
My friends and I gather in our garage once a week

We used to do that when I was around 10 years old.My father bought me a pair of children's boxing gloves.Oh, the tears! Friends became enemies:lol

Awar
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 06:24 AM
I'm afraid I could kill someone, the last time I fought...... nah, wait...the time before the last time I fought, I bitchslapped the guy to the ground.

cosmocreator
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM
The best workout is grappling (wrestling). If a grappler gets a boxer on the ground (and he will), the boxer is finished.

Taras Bulba
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 07:04 PM
The best workout is grappling (wrestling). If a grappler gets a boxer on the ground (and he will), the boxer is finished.

I agree. I'm rather good when it comes to grappling. I'm just trying to get into boxing as well.

Awar
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Excercise anything daily, and you'll be good at it.
Laying a couple of punches on the opponents face can easily demoralize him and in the least make his eyes water and nose bleed, so he can't fight with full capacity.

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, November 2nd, 2003, 11:21 PM
Rocky Marciano > Clay,Ali

Nordhammer
Friday, November 7th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Go to a meat locker, and punch a hanging side of raw beef. Drink plenty of raw egg milkshakes, and chase a chicken to improve your quickness. :-D

That only works for Italians. :D

Nordhammer
Friday, November 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
If you have the opportunity, take Ninjutsu. That's all you need. ;)

Grappling and learning proper balance and how to manipulate another's balance is important.

Taras Bulba
Friday, November 7th, 2003, 08:31 PM
If you have the opportunity, take Ninjutsu. That's all you need. ;)

Only problem with Ninjutsu is that theres so much BS mythology around it. It's probally be better to just study martial art techniques used by military/police special forces. Although when you do, never rely on US army material. Contrary to Hollywood myths, US special forces are the least trained in unarmed combat out of any special force in the world. Ironically Russia's special forces(Spetsnaz) are the most trained in unarmed combat in the world.

Nordhammer
Saturday, November 8th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Only problem with Ninjutsu is that theres so much BS mythology around it. It's probally be better to just study martial art techniques used by military/police special forces. Although when you do, never rely on US army material. Contrary to Hollywood myths, US special forces are the least trained in unarmed combat out of any special force in the world. Ironically Russia's special forces(Spetsnaz) are the most trained in unarmed combat in the world.

Well, regardless of any mythology, the art must be judged by itself. From my experience it is the best martial art.

The instructor is of course crucial as well. Just make sure you get someone who is properly certified. Someone who has actually trained in Japan is a good standard. Unfortunately any person can open a dojo if they want to.

Evolved
Saturday, November 8th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I recommend the Tae-bo Bob Body Opponent (http://www.boxingzone.co.uk/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=69&sku=BB%2DBOB&dealtime)! :D

http://www.boxingzone.co.uk/store/assets/product_images/BillyBlanks/PunchBags/BOB.jpg

http://www.boxingzone.co.uk/store/assets/product_images/BB-BOB_1s.jpg

I used to be a Junior Bantamweight but now I'm a Junior Strawweight. :box

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, November 9th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Both Wend and Cosmocreator are correct to a certain point. Nothing beats actual boxing to improve combat skill-----but you just can't get out there without instruction. First, you must learn boxing defense so you don't get your brains beat out and then, and only then, can you start to add some offense. These punches, the jab, straight right (for righthanders) left hook and uppercut must be taught by someone who has actually done it in the ring.

Once you are on the ground, and it always comes to that unless you knock out your opponent quickly, you must learn to control your opponent there also. Control in a contact situation means control of his elbow. All his movements can be deducted and countered if you control or just "feel" through this bodypart.

On any skilled man or man stronger or more physically gifted than yourself, angles must always be used on him and he must be kept off balance both physcally and in his mind. Also, the environment around you must be used as a weapon.

Pomor
Thursday, November 13th, 2003, 04:55 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Original caption: 6/27/1959-New York, NY- Referee Ruby Goldstein (l) rushes in to stop the fight as Sweden's Ingemar Johansson stands over Floyd Patterson in the 3rd round of the title bout at Yankee Stadium here, June 26. It was the seventh time Johansson knocked Patterson down in the round. By knocking out Patterson, Johansson became the first World Heavyweight Champion in Sweden's history.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/watermark/67/11156331/BE053533.jpg

Vojvoda
Thursday, November 13th, 2003, 05:04 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Original caption: 6/27/1959-New York, NY- Referee Ruby Goldstein (l) rushes in to stop the fight as Sweden's Ingemar Johansson stands over Floyd Patterson in the 3rd round of the title bout at Yankee Stadium here, June 26. It was the seventh time Johansson knocked Patterson down in the round. By knocking out Patterson, Johansson became the first World Heavyweight Champion in Sweden's history.

Gee, I wonder why his name is barely ever mentioned....

Taras Bulba
Thursday, November 13th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Gee, I wonder why his name is barely ever mentioned....

:lol It's because he's Arabic :lol

BTW Wend, kick ass picture for your signature!

Angelcynn Beorn
Thursday, December 25th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Go on to google and do a search for 'stickgrappler' . You should find a site with a huge amaount of information on all manner of fighting techniques. The boxing material is mainly technical and is second to none. Including almost complete transcripts of Jack Dempseys famous boxing manual.

Also go to www.mma.tv/ This is probably the best site on the internet for information about the martial arts/fighting scene at the moment, as well as giving excellent advice on both getting fit and on mixed martial arts.