PDA

View Full Version : Do you celebrate ANZAC day?

Bridie
Monday, April 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
ANZAC day tommorrow! :) :thumbup One of my favourite holidays of the year!

So what do you do on ANZAC day? Nothing much? Do you go to dawn service? Do you go to watch the marches, or do you march in them?

We go to the dawn service every year, then go off to a cafe for a big fry-up brekkie. :D After this we go to watch the parade in the city. My dad marches.... a few years back my grandpa did too. And a few decades ago my great-grandfather did. So sad to see that there are getting to be so few old diggers with us now. :~( :~(

I've noticed that in Perth now that the dawn service and the parade is getting more and more popular every year. :thumbup It must be the same in other capital cities?

Jehan
Monday, April 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
What is the ANZAC day? Australian National Zionist Annihilation Congress?:P

Bridie
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Australian National Zionist Annihilation Congress?:P
:fhaha:

Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. :)

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.htm

Cole Nidray
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Did they ever do anything besides invade Europe on the wrong side in two world wars? Did they ever do anything cool like battle Aboriginal hordes or undertake elaborate public works projects for the good of Australian citizenry? Not that brave military sacrifice to one's nation shouldn't be honored as it is of course something to value greatly, but let's not be under the illusion the government was as noble as the men it used as shocktroops for the Brit-Jew wars against Germany.

Bridie
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 06:41 AM
HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE VALIDITY OF OUR DAY FOR REMEMBERING AND HONOURING OUR SOLDIERS AND HEROES!!!!

Its our day to take time out to remember those who died, sacrificed and suffered in the name of Australia. I couldn't care less about the righteousness of the those wars right now - whether or not we fought on the right side - its not a day to honour our govt's decisions of those days.... its a day to remember and appreciate the young Australian men and women who lost so much. Its a day to say we care.

In my mind, and in the mind of many Aussies, its the true Australia Day.

Mind your own business Ulfhednar!!!! :thumbdown

Veritas ∆quitas
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I agree that it's good to take time out to remember our war dead, whether the politics of that time were "just" or "unjust" makes no difference. These men believed in what they were doing, and did it for us. They were as much a victim of the government as they were to opposing armies.

Rhydderch
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Did they ever do anything besides invade Europe on the wrong side in two world wars?They fought bravely against expansionist Germany and its allied countries (ANZAC day is a commemoration of Gallipoli in particular, fighting Germany's noble allies, the Turks). If you were German I'd forgive you for your patriotic feelings, and pride in your nation's power and accomplishments in war, but regardless of the legitimacy on either side, war is a contest and one can hardly complain when his enemies fire back on him. If Germans want to celebrate their victories over us, that's fine with me, so long as they don't scream when we celebrate our victories over them ;)

Did they ever do anything cool like battle Aboriginal hordes or undertake elaborate public works projects for the good of Australian citizenry?Built the Great Ocean Road if I remember rightly, but I'm afraid there wouldn't be anything cool about battling Aborigines.

Not that brave military sacrifice to one's nation shouldn't be honored as it is of course something to value greatly,Especially when they're defenders, rather than offenders :D

but let's not be under the illusion the government was as noble as the men it used as shocktroops for the Brit-Jew wars against Germany.Again, be a patriotic German if you want, but don't take a swipe at our patriotism. We're not all Hitler-worshippers here you know.

Bridie
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM
don't take a swipe at our patriotism
:thumbup

If Germans want to celebrate their victories over us, that's fine with me, so long as they don't scream when we celebrate our victories over them ;)
I don't see it as celebrating victories over anyone. Lest we forget... that's all. I go to the dawn service and march to support the men who sacrificed so much. To honour my great-grandfather, grandfather and dad. :) Its a very emotional day for me and my family.

But all that aside, did you do anything for ANZAC day Rhydderch?

Chlodovech
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
The graves of your boys - probably the best infantry men in the world - are in good hands...

http://static.flickr.com/53/134957735_19bed791ba.jpg

Honouring your war dead is the only decent thing to do, regardless of the bigger political picture at this or that moment in history. :thumbup

Veritas ∆quitas
Tuesday, April 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I particularily like the ANZACs for their fight against the Turkish scum.

"Their name liveth forever more."

http://www.anzacdaytour.com/images/anzac.jpg

Rhydderch
Wednesday, April 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I don't see it as celebrating victories over anyone. Lest we forget... that's all.Yes, that's true. I was talking more hypothetically, and not so much of ANZAC day itself. But the same applies, which ever way you look at it. I just mean it's a bit rich to expect us to treat their heroes, who were our enemies, as if they did something great. They did it for Germany (and at our expense), not for us :)

I go to the dawn service and march to support the men who sacrificed so much. To honour my great-grandfather, grandfather and dad. :) Its a very emotional day for me and my family.Which war did your father fight in? I suppose he'd be too young for World War II, would that be right?

But all that aside, did you do anything for ANZAC day Rhydderch?Just a holiday this time, although we often watch the Melbourne march on TV. There are marches in all the local towns too.

Bridie
Wednesday, April 26th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Which war did your father fight in? I suppose he'd be too young for World War II, would that be right?
Yes, he's only 57. :) He's a Vietnam Vet. :) My Grandpa fought in WW2 and my great-grandfather fought in WW1.

Arthur-Robin
Thursday, April 27th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I have 2 sides of opinion on ANZAC day:

On the one hand I respect the great sacrifice the soldiers made,

but on the other hand I hate this western world/liberal democratic system and therefore I don't identify with ANZAC day because this is the system they were really fighting for despite that what they were made to believe they were fighting for was semi-different to what this system has turned out to be like today (I say semi because it is crazy how I hear these RSA spokesmen today seeming to mostly (maj) like the way things are and say "we would [fight for this] if a war happens now/tomorrow"). I personally believe the consequences/symptoms/side effects around us are evidence that we fought on the wrong side, if Hitler had won the war we would not have all these swine politicians/bankers/businessmen/media-people stuffing up our lives, Europe would have been untied 60 yrs ago, alternative energy would not still be (purposely) so far off (slow), and we'd be on Mars by now.