PDA

View Full Version : How Similar Do You View the Colonies/New World?

Bridie
Wednesday, April 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I wonder if anyone will actually be brave enough to answer this :D ....

Do Europeans tend to view Australia, America (north and south), New Zealand and other countries that began as European colonies of some sort, as being pretty much the same? Socially, culturally, racially etc....

Jäger
Wednesday, April 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, America is an exception though, but the Commonwealth .. yes.

Graumahd
Wednesday, April 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Yes, I would also say that -except USA- (it´s something different, I´d say) people of European heritage in former colonies belong to our "traditional" European folkgroup.

Prince Eugen
Wednesday, April 19th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yes the vast majority of U.S.Americans have a mentality a little bit different from their European Ancestors.Australians,Africaners etc are more close to European mentality than Americans!
If i must immigrate against Europe i would choose Argentina as very close to my GrecoRomancy heritage and mentality!

Nordgau
Thursday, April 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Do Europeans tend to view Australia, America (north and south), New Zealand and other countries that began as European colonies of some sort, as being pretty much the same? Socially, culturally, racially etc....

The United States, because of their importance, are mostly regarded for themselves anyway here. Canada and Australia are npticed here more or less as great, unaffected spaces covered with trees or sheep, respectively, into which one can drop out of all the turbulence here. :D

But generally, yes, the difference in many basic aspects between the Anglo-Saxon-North European-stamped former British settler-colonies and the Ibero-American world is certainly noticed here.

Allenson
Thursday, April 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Canada.....are noticed here more or less as great, unaffected spaces covered with trees...... into which one can drop out of all the turbulence here. :D

Sounds just about right to me. ;)

I have some English-Canadian (ooops! hyphenation!! ;) ) heritage and I've always wondered if I could use that to leverage citizenship and go stick my head in the Cape Breton Highlands (http://www.northeasthighlands.com/todo/cbh.htm) in an effort to get away from this mess that we've made. :P

Bridie
Thursday, April 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

Allenson
Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Some Issues of Concern

Colonials:
This is not a forum to provide a touristic view of Europe. It is neither a forum for claiming such or such European origins. The views of the peoples from the Colonies about Europe, especially those living in the US of A and Canada, are, a priori, distorted and of no interest to the preservation of Europe. Furthermore, the issues that concern North America are strange and not exportable to Europe; consequently, a nuisance and a waste of resources to Stirpes, thus strongly discouraged.

Whilst we count with a reduced number of Colonial residents on Stirpes, who we consider friends and kin to us, we do not welcome the massive assembly of Colonials.

Please, if you belong to the category of Colonials and want to visit us, respect our space of political discussion and keep a profile as low as possible.

Maybe that's why. ;)

Strangely, there is no mention of Hispanic American Colonials in this statement. ;)

Milesian
Wednesday, May 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Strangely, there is no mention of Hispanic American Colonials in this statement. ;)

Wouldn't they be included in the term "Colonials" along with Non-Hispanic American Colonials?

Would it not be rather strange if they did get a special mention? :)

Allenson
Wednesday, May 24th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Wouldn't they be included in the term "Colonials" along with Non-Hispanic American Colonials?

Would it not be rather strange if they did get a special mention? :)

My point was that there is specific reference to North America with no mention of the southern continent--in the passage that I quoted. Coincidence? I think not.

So, of course they (Hispanic Colonials) would fall under the broad parachute of "Colonials" but the lack of mention there and the specific mention of the Anglophonic north is curious indeed.

Really though, it's no matter. :thumbup

Milesian
Thursday, May 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
My point was that there is specific reference to North America with no mention of the southern continent--in the passage that I quoted. Coincidence? I think not.
Perhaps there is a percieved difference in opinion which is largely concentrated (although not solely so) to the northern half of the continent, re-enforced by the general trend in members who sign up from that region?

So, of course they (Hispanic Colonials) would fall under the broad parachute of "Colonials" but the lack of mention there and the specific mention of the Anglophonic north is curious indeed.
Not really, I think we all know Mynydd's opinions on certain issues by this time.
But it should not be thought that so-called "Hispanic" Colonials get preferential treatment in comparison with their northern neighbours, as I can vouch that they do not.
The point is that Stirpes is a European website rather than Germanic, Nordicist, White Nationalist, etc. As such, it is only logical that it should be discerning about it;s member base in the same way that Skadi should about non-Germanics (hello :D), or TNP should about non-Nordics.

Perhaps you could debate Mynydd's own personal opinions, but I think casting aspersions on Stirpes' policies is stretching things a bit far. It's policies towards Colonials are not due to an extension of any one person's own personal views, but merely logical considering that website's particular area of interest.
In fact, the policy really extends to the rest of the world outside Europe. The only reason the New World Colonies even rate a special mention is because of their peculiar past history with Europe.

In any case, it is not as if non-Europeans are expressly forbidden.
I mean, there are even American members of staff! :D
A small number of (highly) intelligent non-Europeans is no great problem. It is simply a danger in as much that allowing large numbers of non-Europeans would inevitably threaten Stirpes' identity as a European forum (you know how immigration works ;) ). I would hope that doesn't cause any resentment or bad feeling in people.

Really though, it's no matter. :thumbup
You are quite right, it doesn't really matter at all.

BTW, I forgot to say that its good to see you again, a chara :thumbsup

Bridie
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM
What the hell is with the use of the term "colonials" to describe Australians, Americans, New Zealanders etc anyway? Hmmmm.... all are countries now right?? Not colonies. Calling us colonials is, imho, insulting. Not that anyone would care.

Milesian
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM
What the hell is with the use of the term "colonials" to describe Australians, Americans, New Zealanders etc anyway? Hmmmm.... all are countries now right?? Not colonies.Calling us colonials is, imho, insulting.
Queen Elizabeth II is still Australia's head of state, right? Colony. ;)

Seriously though, I doubt it's intended as an insult. It's simply a term of convenience to include all these countries which have been colonised by Europeans and their descendents. It's much the same as Europe being reffered to as the Old World, despite the fact that science suggests it is exactly the same age as the rest of the planet.

If you can suggest a more pleasing term though, please do.

Not that anyone would care.

Awww....of course I care.
Just as I'm sure you care about my poor hands, and wouldn't want me to type out "The United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc" everytime when I could simply be lazy and type "colonies". :)

Bridie
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Queen Elizabeth II is still Australia's head of state, right? Colony. ;)
:-O :fangry:

:lol

I doubt it's intended as an insult.
I didn't think that it was intended to be insulting really, just that it is ignorant. :P

It's simply a term of convenience to include all these countries which have been colonised by Europeans and their descendents. Fair enough. :)

If you can suggest a more pleasing term though, please do.
How about instead of "colonial" we all say "superior"? :victory

Awww....of course I care.
Just as I'm sure you care about my poor hands, and wouldn't want me to type out "The United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc" everytime when I could simply be lazy and type "colonies". :)What? Are you really that lazy?... you sure you're not really an Aussie then? :bounce (you know, us Aussies are great at shortening words.... barbie, cossie, aggro, arvo.... for a reason. Too bloody lazy to print out or say the whole thing. More than two syllables? Got to go!)

Nevertheless, typical bloody Irishman.... I can't be angry with someone so charming :D ....

Milesian
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
:-O :fangry:

:lol
Sorry, I couldn't help but be mischevious there ;)

I didn't think that it was intended to be insulting really, just that it is ignorant. :P
Touché :D

How about instead of "colonial" we all say "superior"? :victory
For you? Anything. Even lies :P

What? Are you really that lazy?...
If you knew me, you wouldn't need to ask that question!

you sure you're not really an Aussie then? :bounce (you know, us Aussies are great at shortening words.... barbie, cossie, aggro, arvo.... for a reason.
I have a friend called "Cossie". :-O
Perhaps I need to have a word with him........

Nevertheless, typical bloody Irishman.... I can't be angry with someone so charming :D ....
You have impeccably good taste, m'lady :thumbup

Bridie
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM
For you? Anything. Even lies :P
:D I can handle lies.... but only if they cater to my vanity, of course. :chleading

I have a friend called "Cossie". :-O
Perhaps I need to have a word with him........
Hmmmm.... yeah, a cossie is usually a bathing suit here....

Milesian
Friday, May 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM
:D I can handle lies.... but only if they cater to my vanity, of course. :chleading
Of course, what other lies are worth telling ?:D

Hmmmm.... yeah, a cossie is usually a bathing suit here....
Yes, I thought so.
Try not to read too deeply into that ;)

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 5th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Yes, America is an exception though, but the Commonwealth .. yes.

The difference being? For ourselves, relation to the Crown. Such as it is between Dubliners and Orangemen. That's really the only thing exceptional about the States, but without the Celtic issue.