PDA

View Full Version : Things Our Mothers Said...

QuietWind
Tuesday, April 11th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I was posting earlier a saying my mother often said, and I thought it would be nice to make a thread where we can all share those little gems of thought from our mother. :)

"Everyone is crazy but me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee."

"It isn't a shame to be poor, but it's a shame to be dirty."

About Roaches: "It's not a shame to have them, but it's a shame to keep them."

These are just a few from my mom, but she had many more. Usually I recall them when things trigger it. I'll add more when they come to me.

Oswiu
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Odd that this one got no replies.

A parenting philosophy of the my mitochondrial-donator;

"A crack a day..."

And there it ends. A crack is a smack or slap for a bad child. My Mam seems to have adapted the "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away" and yet felt that any justification in terms of prevention of bad things for the crack was unnecesary, cracks having their own intrinsic value to the moral upbringing of a child.
:D

Another one, which I dread to hear is "Oh aye, you, 'n all.." It usually is followed by a good telling off!

Blood_Axis
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
"Once a faggot, always a faggot" :-O

Don't ask me in what context she said that -you don't wanna know :D

Jäger
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
When the telphone rang, and she missed it, or the door bell or whatever, she says "Was gut is kommt wieder, das Böse soll ausbleiben" translated something like "If it was good, it will come again, and the bad should be avoided anyway."

Esther_Helena
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I haven't seen my mom since I was 12, and people don't usually put sayings into letters. I can, however, tell you some things other women in my life tend to have said/say a lot.

Great Aunt - If you do as good as you look, you'll do alright.
Family Friend - Don't you know crack kills? *Said when someone's pants fall too low*

That's all I can think of right now.

GreenEyes
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
"I know it's really early to think this now, but think about whether or not this person will be a good father to your children" said by my mom, in the context of referring to my not so great ex-boyfriends

"You can't take the spots off a leopard" - Grandma always says this, though I know it's already a popular saying.

Landerun
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
My parents always said: "You your feet under our table stretch so long heard you what we say you!" :-O

If I mourned times again a loving afterwards, my dad always said: "Other mothers have also beautiful sons!" :~(

And my granny always says, if we converse about the war: "One may not deny the right to the pleasure German soldier as heroes to be designated! They were heroes and for that fought, to which today many of our men are no longer ready - to the faith in us lives!"

My granny is for me one of the wisest women, I am met who ever!:)

Mein Dad says often: "Never think of having thought, because the thinking of the thoughts is an unthinking thinking of the thoughts!"

Frau_Hierl
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
"Don´t make your life more difficult than it is."

"Don´t believe in people so fast, they have to prove before."

"Not the talking has worth, but acting!"

"You give your trust to false friends, be smarter."

Fallen_Empire
Friday, April 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM
"Be what you want to be, do what you think you've got to do and always trust in yourself!"

"Stand always behind things you do because you believe in them!"

QuietWind
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 04:38 AM
When the telphone rang, and she missed it, or the door bell or whatever, she says "Was gut is kommt wieder, das Böse soll ausbleiben" translated something like "If it was good, it will come again, and the bad should be avoided anyway."

This one reminds me of a similar one my mom would say.....(although I don't think my mom's was as true as this one is.) About forgotten things, she'd say.... "If it was important, you wouldn't have forgotten it." This applied to words, objects, going places, etc. Another variation that she'd use was, "Well, it must not have been important."-- said after you mentioned forgetting something. Now that I'm old I think how false her saying was. I forget things all the time that are important! :P

Northern Paladin
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 04:54 AM
"Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you going to get.":D

"Spencer you know better than that"

"No one in this world cares more for you than your family"

Thumelicus
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 05:55 AM
"Ist der Ruf erst ruiniert, lebt's sich weiter ungeniert". It translates roughly to: once your reputation has been ruined, then you can live as you please.

It has the same kind of ambiguous double meaning to me as "Viel Feind, viel Ehr", which was also another one of my mother's favorite sayings.

Oswiu
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Now that I'm old I think how false her saying was.
This is worrying! Jennifer's 29, so I've got only three years of youth left! :-O
Or does oldness begin at 27? :(

Prince Eugen
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
''Are you still involved with that neonazis atheists?'' what allways said after a depate!

Fallen_Empire
Monday, May 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hahahaha... My Mom said something similar to Prince Eugen's Mom: "Your job is to be a Nazi!" :D

Alice
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
"There's naught so queer as folk."

"Pull up the ladder, Jack, I'm all right!"

Alice
Tuesday, April 16th, 2019, 05:53 PM
"When the monkeys leave Gibraltar England will fall."
"You'll rue the day!"
"I'll get my pound of flesh!"
"Quit mithering me, Alice."
"Sit up straight, young lady."
"What did your last slave die of?"

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Wednesday, April 17th, 2019, 05:00 PM
"You will go to prison one day", and I went there ...
"That is the Real Life : Dallas TV series"
"Do you belong to the Italian sex-ring?" to two female saleswomen when purchasing jeans troussers for me

But both parents were bringing up sentences , because of hate .

Father :
"That would not be a True Jacob"
"We will get the American System"
"We will become a Courts Farm society again"
"In court one is in 'Gods' hands"
"Reputation ruined makes life even better"
"Cash money is the best money" (Nur Bares ist Wahres)
"A waning moon looks like the modern letter '(a' ,
a waxing moon looks like the shape of the former letter 'z)' "

Unsorted , without apparent sense .