PDA

View Full Version : Death Penalty: Which execution method is preferable?

Slå ring om Norge
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Death Penalty: Which execution method is preferable?

Sigurd Volsung
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Hung, drawn and quartered for acts of treason! :P

On a more serious note, I voted 'hanging'; it is not so gory (why would the excessive amounts of blood be needed?), and it can be agonizingly painful for the condemned - gives them time to think about what they have done wrong ;)

Theudiskaz
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Hanging and beheading.

QuietWind
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 03:06 AM

On a more serious note, I voted 'hanging'; it is not so gory (why would the excessive amounts of blood be needed?), and it can be agonizingly painful for the condemned - gives them time to think about what they have done wrong ;)

What is there to think about? It's a little late for thinking abut what they did when they are gasping for their last breath.

Gorm the Old
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 03:13 AM
If hanging is done correctly, the neck is broken and death is instantaneous. Only in a badly bungled execution would death be by strangulation. In the words of Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado", "Let the punishment fit the crime." For acts of terrorism in which innocent people are slain to make a political statement, I recommend revival of the ancient punishment of burning at the stake !

Southern Jarl
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Throw 'em to the bogs!:D

I'll go for hanging as well, however, I think this method provides a rather quick death; the condemned only suffers if his neck doesn't snap. In that case he chokes to death - then it's quite agonizing.
Should stoning be an option? It's a rather "muslim" way...:D

Ahren_
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Ordinarily I would go with the Guillotine. It's a swift and spectacular way to go out. :bigeek

Though if I were to leave it up to the gods, I would nail the condemned person to a flagstaff and wait for nature's judgement when the lightning strikes. But I can honestly say I have very little understanding of the Germanic gods and their taste in execution. :)

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/images/wea00603.jpg

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM
The Allies hung the Nazis. Dr. Ernst Kaltenbrunner didn't complain or object about his fate and he had his Ph.D. in law. If it is good enough for Ernst, it is just plain good enough.

Sigurd Volsung
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
What is there to think about? It's a little late for thinking abut what they did when they are gasping for their last breath. The pain that they have caused to others - only for a brief moment I am sure, but it is pain to think about nonetheless.

Mjölnir
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Shooting---right in the head. Kaliber 7,62 mm Full Metal Jacket.

M.,

Moody
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I voted for hanging due to its relationship to the Odinist traditions of hanging [although victims were also stabbed when hanged].

I also added a vote for ceremonial sacrifice for that reason - the Odinist hanging was very much a ceremony.

The role of hangman is a respected & skilled one; it is usually passed down through the generations.
This [the hangman] is one caste that needs to be re-introduced.

However, while I would have hanging as the mainstay, I also favour a scale of other methods to be used [such as shooting at one end of the scale and burning alive at the other], which would relate to the type of crimes committed and to the rank of the victim [ie., firing squad is appropriate in some military executions, especially when dealing with men of rank].

In the main, executions should be public [exceptions being the military as afore-mentioned], and the bodies of victims left on display for nine days and nights as a warning.

Bring back the noose in England - now!

Theudiskaz
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Agreed. ( speaking to moody lawless) Hanging/strangulation is the classic Germanic method of execution. I think that for many Anglo-Saxons, still, hanging is the first thing that comes to mind, when they think about execution or justice.

SouthernBoy
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Gas
I support "nitrogen-asphyxiation (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n17_v47/ai_17374449)" in particular, because the subject's organs can still be donated afterward. :)

Georgia
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Capital Punishment - hanging. Georgia

CountBloodSpawn
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
hanging has always been a popular form of execution, when the Austro-Hungarian armies invaded parts of eastern europe during world war I, they usually took care of any Leninists trying to incite revolution by hanging

although if impalement were one of the choices I would have voted that too

Flag-Soil
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Head on a stake as a warning to others, like the good old days.

Taras Bulba
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM
My preferences is towards shooting, with hanging coming in second. Im old fashioned.

SouthernBoy
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM
The membership is quite violent here. :P

Sigurd Volsung
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 10:38 PM
The membership is quite violent here. :P You can say that again! Too bad nobody has opted for the "stoning" category, that would be a laugh. :P

Jack
Tuesday, March 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
Impalement.

Jack
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 01:07 AM
You'd be surprised at how common that beleif is and how often it is at the root of the hearts of those who are against the death penalty.

I am for the death penalty, a quick bullet to the head or a beheading. Of course I'm looking at the cost effectiveness of it. A lifer may live 40+ years in jail with free food, healthcare, etc. I'd rather that money be spent on a child than some waste of flesh. A bullet costs mere pennies. As far as suffering, what's done is done and 9 of 10 times the criminal feels justified and will not change, in that instance punishment only offers the victims family and the state a sadistic form of pleasure.
If you do it right, an impalement results in death over a few days.

Slå ring om Norge
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Of course I prefer that the executions are performed as bloting to the gods.

Or else, what a waste...:2rant

Vart nionde år firades en stor offerfest vid templet i Uppsala.
Det templet var det mest betydande i landet.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offerfesten_vid_Uppsala_tempel

Hur offerfesterna gick till finns naturligtvis inga säkra uppgifter om, men Adam av Bremen berättar i sin krönika om dem. En gyllene kedja fanns runt templet. Den lyste på långt håll mot dem som närmade sig templet. Inne i templet fanns tre gudabilder. I mitten satt Tor, den mäktigaste guden. Oden och Freja hade sina platser på var sida om Tor. Vid de stora festerna offrade man både djur och människor för att riktigt behaga gudarna. Kropparna fick sedan hänga i träden utanför templet. Vid ett tillfälle kunde man se sjuttiotvå kroppar i trädet.

nätdeutsch
Friday, August 11th, 2006, 03:27 AM
and for how I'd like it.....
i just dont want to die. if at all,
I want to go down fighting.

Istigkeit
Friday, August 11th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I'm generally one for theatrics, so I picked guillotine:P. I agree with SubGnostic, that death is more of an amnesty, but their still being gotten rid of. Also, the psychological damage of knowing you're about to be killed can be enormous (going mad can be painful), hence why mock executions were invented for torture.

Wasn't being a ceremonial sacrifice considered an honour by most cultures?

SuuT
Friday, August 11th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Why is there no "all of the above relative to the crime" option in the poll?

At any rate: there's my vote.

VilhelMina
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 01:58 AM
*laughs*

Stoning....wouldn't that take some time? "my arm hurts!"

What about the Iron Maiden, branks, heretics fork?

Inquisitional chairs??

:P

Berliners Remember
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 03:16 AM
If i had to choose my own death, i think i would most likley go with the firing squad.

Janus
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
*laughs*

Stoning....wouldn't that take some time? "my arm hurts!"

What about the Iron Maiden, branks, heretics fork?

Inquisitional chairs??

:P

Nah stonings won't take so much time if Obelix is helping.
Well also some nice medieval methods were forgotten like tickling to death with the help of a goat or nice musical chinese variant in which you're brought to a field and some men hit the drum for several days in the same rhythm as your heart has and when they suddenly stop it after some days your heart stops beating,too hrhrhr.

Nah seriously,I'm against death penalty.

Leofric
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Discussion of whether capital punsihment should occur has been moved to the poll thread entitled "The Death Penalty - Yes or No?"
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=43167

Please continue to use the current thread to discuss exactly how we ought to kill the mangy curs. :)