PDA

View Full Version : Unthankful Button?

Godiva
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM
As I logged on to Skadi today I saw a new thread that piqued my interested. "Quotes about Women" was the title, and I thought quickly to find the good quotes about women that I knew to add to the thread in "The Eternal Female Principle." Once my browser loaded the page and my eyes scanned the first post and my heart began to sink. I was very hurt by Phlegethon's posts and wished to express my ungratitude for his posts for all of Skadi to see. I did not, however, want to give him negative rep. I just wanted him and others to know that I was unthankful for his post and I wanted to do this without wasting a post on that thread.

I was wondering if Skadi could have an unthankful button for those of us who find ourselves trapped, we don't want to give negative rep, don't want to waste a post, and don't want to send a private message, but do want to let the poster and the public to know how we feel about the post. I can understand if this suggestion doesn't happen, but I did want to let people know that I felt this way. Thanks.

Phlegethon
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 01:56 AM
And I want a spank button. ;)

Nordraserei
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 02:54 AM
And I want a spank button. ;) How gentlemanly of you. :thumbdown :blueroll:

4. Vulgarity, bawdiness, drunkenness, lewdness, obscenity, profanity, curses, discourteous and ungentlemanly conduct towards female Members, disrespectful conduct towards elder Members, and other objectively unrefined conduct, even if only in retaliation, are not permitted.

Phlegethon
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 03:08 AM
It is a perfectly legitimate means of conditioning.

Thorburn
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I was very hurt by Phlegethon's posts Oh, his misogyny is a forum institution, department of entertainment. You don't need to take it personal or serious, albeit he might be serious. Don't take it to your heart. :)

I was wondering if Skadi could have an unthankful button for those of us who find ourselves trapped, Hmmmm... excellent idea but, halas, not easily to implement, as one would have to rewrite the whole "Thanks" button software.

And I want a spank button. ;) I have a punch button. :fbox:

Bridie
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I am not sure if an unthankful button would be productive on here. I'm under the impression that it would lead to more fights and clashes, which negative reputation frequently has.
I'm going to have to agree with you again (even though I probably don't really have the right to have an opinion here, being a newbie and all). And I think that the displaying of people's disapproval on other's posts in such a way may lead to many members feeling inclined to censure what they say, lest they are so easily scorned, iykwim. Confrontation and disagreement is fine if you can substantiate your position, but it seems a bit cowardly just to basically say - "well I don't like it" without any reasoning behind it imparted. That sort of mentality could very well stunt constructive discussion. :)

That's just my 2c worth.

</IMG>

Phlegethon
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I have a punch button. :fbox:

Nah, no punch. I'll have a beer instead.

Phlegethon
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I'd say please take Phlegethon's remarks with a pinch of salt. He is mean, but not always that mean, me thinks :)

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Phlegethon
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Yep, everyone has the right to my opinion.

Thusnelda
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I find the idea of an unthankful-button interesting, too. Not only because of Phlegs thread.

Patria
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Why we need this additional buttons - the current "Thanks" and maybe a future "Unthankful" button?

Is there something wrong with the reputation system?!

Oswiu
Friday, March 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
It's a daft idea - I'd be scared to death of posting anything with that prospect hanging over me!
Let the mods moderate, let people have a laugh if they want to, let the overly sensitive develop a thicker skin and let's not clog up the space at the bottom of each post! Skadi is one of the best operating fora I have ever seen, as it strikes a good balance with its various 'features'.