PDA

View Full Version : Classify my greek relatives

Theudiskaz
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I am a skando-nordic American of English, German, Scottish and Irish descent. My fathers cousins share my English and German heritage through their mother's (My great Aunt) side but are Greek and Spanish on his father's side. Their last name is Zikakis. I wondering if they are phenotypically fully mediterranid and if so what subtype. The first two pictures are of one uncle the third is of another.

Also, could any greek-speakers tell me what "Zikakis" means?

Pervitinist
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I think they are all Dinarid-Mediterranid mixed. The man in the middle on the second pic (the one with the beer) seems to have some Negrid influence as well.

Theudiskaz
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I think they are all Dinarid-Mediterranid mixed. The man in the middle on the second pic (the one with the beer) seems to have some Negrid influence as well.The Negroid one is not a relative of mine. :thumbdown I only referred to the man who was in both of the first two pictures.

The first two pictures are of one uncle the third is of another.

Galaico
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I am a skando-nordic American of English, German, Scottish and Irish descent. My fathers cousins share my English and German heritage through their mother's (My great Aunt) side but are Greek and Spanish on his father's side.
Aha... that explains your attitude, you're half Spanish...;)

Now serious, your uncle seems to be Pontid-Dinarid, the other guy looks somewhat Alpinised IMO.

Theudiskaz
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Aha... that explains your attitude, you're half Spanish...;) Attitude?!:grind What attitude?;)

Now serious, your uncle seems to be Pontid-Dinarid, the other guy looks somewhat Alpinised IMO.
You mean the one in the bottom picture?

Galaico
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
You mean the one in the bottom picture?
Yep.

Blood_Axis
Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM
The only two people that look like typical Greeks (greek Greeks :P) are the two women (who are pred. Med, btw). The others would appear to be somewhat "exotic" in Greece (more west med than east).

Agrippa
Friday, September 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM
First is Atlanto-Pontid + Dinarid or vice versa.
2nd rather a gracile Mediterranid with Alpinoid influences.

Pro-Alpine
Friday, September 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
More on the Dinarid side.

Vasilis
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Also, could any greek-speakers tell me what "Zikakis" means?

In Greece we have Greek, Albanian, Turkish and Slavic(?) surnames.

F.e. the names Karamanlis, Karahasanis are Turkish.

The name Karajan(nis) is Turkish-Greek. From the Turkish word 'Kara' meaning black, and the Greek name Jan(nis) (=John)

The names Prekas, Botsaris, Dousis etc are Albanian

The names Papadopoulos, Ekonomou, Triantafilou, etc are Greek

Zikakis is not a Greek name, it sounds Turkish to me, but i'm not sure.

Theudiskaz
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
In Greece we have Greek, Albanian, Turkish and Slavic(?) surnames.

F.e. the names Karamanlis, Karahasanis are Turkish.

The name Karajan(nis) is Turkish-Greek. From the Turkish word 'Kara' meaning black, and the Greek name Jan(nis) (=John)

The names Prekas, Botsaris, Dousis etc are Albanian

The names Papadopoulos, Ekonomou, Triantafilou, etc are Greek

Zikakis is not a Greek name, it sounds Turkish to me, but i'm not sure.
Thanks, I guess.:| If indeed their surname is of Turkish origin their Turkish ancestors must have come into Greece in the 1400's and have married only ethnic Greeks ever since, because none of them shows the slightest hint of Turkic racial features, ie Turanid etc.

What about the surname Doukakis/Δουκάκης ? Is that of Turkish origin?

Japetos
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Zikakis should come from Crete.

Vasilis
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure if Zikak(is) is a turkish name.
The Greeks have adopted many turkish words, habits, etc. Lots of traditional 'Greek' foods are really Turkish. Greek coffee is Turkish, sujuk(akia), baklava, muzaka, tzatzik(i), imam baildi etc are Turkish (i'm not sure how you spell all these in English)

Having a turkish name does not necessarily mean you have mixed with a Turk.
Albanians for example have adopted the Turkish religion. That does not mean they are arabs.

Not all Greek names ending in -akis are Cretan.

'Doukas' means duke in Greek. Doukakis could be translated as 'little duke' (?)
I'm not a glossologist though.

Anatomia
Saturday, December 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks, I guess.:| If indeed their surname is of Turkish origin their Turkish ancestors must have come into Greece in the 1400's and have married only ethnic Greeks ever since, because none of them shows the slightest hint of Turkic racial features, ie Turanid etc.

What about the surname Doukakis/Δουκάκης ? Is that of Turkish origin?

The origin of names have nothing to to with the ethnic composition of the peoples. example: Papadopoulos is not a Greek name. Poulos or ' Poulo' has its root in the Italian language which means 'child of'. These names were adopted by the Greeks in the Peloponese when it was conquered by the Venetians(? not exactly sure). Same goes for many Turkish sounding names.
Many Greeks from Asia Minor and Constantinople had Turkish sounding names like Oglu or Kara. This were given for administrative purposes and other different reasons.

Slavic surnames on the other hand are rare in Greece, but might have something to do with intermixture. Slavic surnames in Greece can be found in Northern Greece.