Northwest (much poorer)
M-170cm/F-159cm

Central
M-173cm/F-161cm

Central-southern China
M-169cm/F-157cm

South-central western China
M-168cm/F-157cm

Very impressive height for the northeastern and northern regions, especially considering China is still a developing country. Compare to the average Korean (173cm) and average Japanese (170cm)

Janus
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I've made a map based on that data there.Unfortunatly the statistics are quite lacking of some important provinces like guangdong or henan but whatever.

Agrippa
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
That shows clearly that the Nord- and Mittelsinid populations are the taller and the Suedsinid and Palaemongolid ones shorter as it should have been expected.

Janus
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
That shows clearly that the Nord- and Mittelsinid populations are the taller and the Suedsinid and Palaemongolid ones shorter as it should have been expected.

Indeed but I miss data about the southern provinces likr guangdong and the "autonomous" regions of the minorities like tibet or guangxi.

Agrippa
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Especially for areas like Tibet environmental factors (hard unergonomic work, bad nutrition, bad health) must be considered too anyway.

Cnooc
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
brief translation

1 Harbin city (Northeast Manchuria) 177.2 163.3
2. Shenyang city (central Manchuria) 177.0 163.3
3 Changchun city (central Manchuria)176.8 162.9
4 Hebei province (west and north of Beijing) (175.5 162.7
5 Beijing 175.5 162.6
6 Tianjin 175.6 162.3
7 Inner Mongolia 175.3 162.0
8 Shandong province (south of Beijing) 174.2 162.0
9 Jiangsu province (north of Shanghai)173.0 161.3
10 Shanghai 172.5 161.1
11----20略
21 Shanxi province 170.1 159.5
22 Shaanxi province 170.0 158.3
23 Hunan province 169.8 157.5
24 Hubei province 169.7 157.6
25 Chengdu city (southwest) 168.9 157.7
26 Chongqing province (southwest) 168.9 157.6

As expected, the northern cities have on average taller populations, and the average for cities are greater than those of the surrouding countryside, as the rural areas of China are still quite underdeveloped.

I am quite suprised that Chongqing and Chengdu, the southwest provinces have lower height averages than Guangzhou, as the tibeto-burmic/nordsinid population of the southwest have more leptosomatic body builds. But then it is just as expected, Guangzhou is the richest province in China, due to the fact that the CCP started its economic liberalization policies 10 years earlier than the rest of the country (due to its proximity to Hong Kong), thus the affluence does play a big role. But once the Three Gorges Damn is built and the southwest is opened up like the rest of China has, I expect the height to surpass Guangzhou.

Janus
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Especially for areas like Tibet environmental factors (hard unergonomic work, bad nutrition, bad health) must be considered too anyway.

That applies on the rustbelt or,eventhough not as much as on tibet which is quite an extreme,aswell but the height there is the highest in whole china.Anyways it would for sure be interesting to see the avarage height of the southsinids and the minorities.

Nomad
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Northeastern Chinese are mostly (90%) recent immigrants from Shanxi, Hebei and especially Shandong. What could be the reason for their taller average height?

Asianist
Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I am quite suprised that Chongqing and Chengdu, the southwest provinces have lower height averages than Guangzhou, as the tibeto-burmic/nordsinid population of the southwest have more leptosomatic body builds. But then it is just as expected, Guangzhou is the richest province in China, due to the fact that the CCP started its economic liberalization policies 10 years earlier than the rest of the country (due to its proximity to Hong Kong), thus the affluence does play a big role. But once the Three Gorges Damn is built and the southwest is opened up like the rest of China has, I expect the height to surpass Guangzhou.

======================================== ===

I think you have to consider the fact that as many as 100,000 victorious Manchurians and Shandong-ers, enlisted in the Fourth Field Army of PLA, moved to and settled down in Guangzhou city in 1949~50, whom were led by the commie marshall Lin Biao, supported by the Russians.

Janus
Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Uhm the guangdong province isn't even listed there

CyberNinja
Monday, April 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
http://club.travel.sohu.com/read-hunan-154957-0-6.html
Simplified translation...

M=male F=female

Northeast
M-177cm/F-163cm

North
M-175cm/F-162cm

Coastal north
M-173cm/F-161cm

Northwest (much poorer)
M-170cm/F-159cm

Central
M-173cm/F-161cm

Central-southern China
M-169cm/F-157cm

South-central western China
M-168cm/F-157cm

Very impressive height for the northeastern and northern regions, especially considering China is still a developing country. Compare to the average Korean (173cm) and average Japanese (170cm)

You are COMPLETELY wrong!
I don't know the source of the data you post,but I can tell you,do not believe chinese agitprops.They incline to boast.
I have been to China for several times.
In my view,average China Males(Beijing) donnot exceed 1.72
In SiChuan Province (SW of china),Males don't exceed 1.66

Asianist
Monday, April 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
If the people living in the remote countryside of Sichuan were counted in, the average height might be less than 166 CM, but the average height for the native young males in Beijing City, say between 18 and 30, could be 175 CM....meanwhile please bear in mind that, as a capital, Beijing got a lot of people from the outside, especially from the south....it's the only city the southerners love to live in the north China.

Nomad
Monday, April 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
You are COMPLETELY wrong!
I don't know the source of the data you post,but I can tell you,do not believe chinese agitprops.They incline to boast.
I have been to China for several times.
In my view,average China Males(Beijing) donnot exceed 1.72
In SiChuan Province (SW of china),Males don't exceed 1.66

lol, ok cyberninja, how tall are you, 160cm? 170? does being shorter than the average north Chinese make you feel small? ;)

These statistics are roughly equaled by those of other studies, see this for example (these statistics seem slightly wrong--the average Shandongnese seems shorter than the average inland northerner to me). http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/node/389

For what it's worth, I'm a very tall, blue eyed and blonde haired english male. I've known enough Chinese to know that the average for a northern man is above 173cm, infact the average Beijinger seems taller than the typical english guy. The farmers are shorter, but more muscular.

CyberNinja
Tuesday, April 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM
lol, ok cyberninja, how tall are you, 160cm? 170? does being shorter than the average north Chinese make you feel small? ;)

These statistics are roughly equaled by those of other studies, see this for example (these statistics seem slightly wrong--the average Shandongnese seems shorter than the average inland northerner to me). http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/node/389

For what it's worth, I'm a very tall, blue eyed and blonde haired english male. I've known enough Chinese to know that the average for a northern man is above 173cm, infact the average Beijinger seems taller than the typical english guy. The farmers are shorter, but more muscular.

Have you been to China?

brightkelly
Saturday, May 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM
The numbers are from a Chinese chatting forum...and the forum didn't tell the source of the numbers. The numbers didn't take the rural people into account.
I'm actually from China, I'm a girl, 162cm. The average height for a Beijing girl is about 162cm, however you know from people's experience if you're just about the average height you'll feel short most of the time...
I go to college in Harbin. Not to boast, but quite a lot of men are taller than 177cm, especially the middle school students.
My home's in Beijing, there are 22 male students in my class in middle school. They're mostly around 175cm, the shortest one is 169cm, and the tallest one is 188cm.

fareast
Tuesday, May 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I think it's very exaggerated.