PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of the So-Called Life Rune

Siegfried
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 08:13 PM
I was wondering what the the Life Rune (or Algiz Rune) really means, and how it was originally used. According to the National Alliance (http://www.natvan.com/rune.html), 'the Life Rune signifies life, creation, birth, rebirth, and renewal', but according to the article at http://www.stormfront.org/ns/gamada.html , this meaning got attached to it during the 19th century, and the real meaning remains in the dark.
Here's what http://www.ipcc.com/market/newage/runes.html#algiz has to say about the rune:

This is the place to stay when you are in need of a safety zone. As a mirror to teiwaz, the warrior goes to the sanctuary to reflect and heal the wounds of the battle. This is a place to feel the full pain and not to shy away, for there is a lesson here. Meditation on this rune should involve the painful things in life and what is to be learned from the anguish. Facing the pain will make you stronger and wiser for the next battle.

So, if anyone has some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Allenson
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 01:19 AM
I've always know the Algiz rune as a 'protective' rune and/or one of 'safe refuge'....thus corresponding to the quote in your post. It has also been associated by some researchers with elk antlers....the shape is somewhat reminiscent of the antlers of certain Ungulates. :)

Moody
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 05:03 PM
I've always know the Algiz rune as a 'protective' rune and/or one of 'safe refuge'....thus corresponding to the quote in your post. It has also been associated by some researchers with elk antlers....the shape is somewhat reminiscent of the antlers of certain Ungluates. :)

Yeah - it is called Elk-Sedge in the Anglo-Saxon row [this was a plant with nettle-like properties which presumably resembled antlers - the AS rune-poem speaks of it hurting the hand of he who grasps it].

Of course, we're talking here of the Elder Rune row - in the Younger rune row, as used by the Vikings, the same rune is called 'Man', due no doubt to its anthropomorphic shape.
It is also similar to the Egyptian Ankh ['life'], as well as to the tau cross.

[The Elder rune row used a sign similar to 'M' for 'Man'. I believe that Wulfilas used this in his translation of the Bible into Gothic every time the word 'man' occured].

I view the Algiz rune as portraying the gesture of open-armed sun-worship, rather like Blake's 'Glad day'. This is when it is expressed by the body as a whole.
However, as a single hand-gesture, it signals 'protection', as is said above.

It can also be seen to symbolise sacrifice in the Odinic sense, hung as Odin was on the World Tree for 9 nights to receive the runes.
From here it also takes on tree-symbolism, being reminiscent of the Irminsul.

Pythia
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Invocation. Drawing energy up from the earth and down from the sky, for healing and/or personal empowerment.

i liked the reference to its similarity to the tau cross re: sun worship. Never thought of it that way! Thanks!

arvak
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
The Algiz, eloyx rune represents the divine power of the Valkerie in the reflective power of protection of the soul. And the awakening to their divine power in which to be spiritually guided.

Wotansthrone
Saturday, June 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM
As others have stated already I interpret it to mean life, protection, and defense. As one usually stands in this position when invoking the gods and goddesses, it can be seen also as a connection between them and us.