PDA

View Full Version : Guess the Ethnicity of this Mediterranid Girl

Evolved
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 03:40 AM
What do you think? Guess ethnicity. :)

Awar
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 03:53 AM
From that photo, she could even be Dinaric.

Vojvoda
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 03:59 AM
I guess she really isn't from India, correct?

"Haso, pazi metak! Hvala Mujo"

Marduk
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Middle-East ?

I don't think she's from India.

Loki
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM
India is my first and only guess.

Nordhammer
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 05:50 PM
The swarthy masses all look alike don't they? :D

Mestizo!

Milesian
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Although it seems obvious, she does look Indid to me.
So I'll go with the obvious answer. Indid it is.

StrÝbog
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 08:48 PM
The swarthy masses all look alike don't they? :D

Mestizo!

Yup, that's why Colin Farrell and Sylvester Stallone are not really any different racially, regardless of what SNPA and McCulloch would say :)
The girl isn't Mestizo, because she is just a dark Caucasoid variant. Indic is my call.

Nordhammer
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Yup, that's why Colin Farrell and Sylvester Stallone are not really any different racially, regardless of what SNPA and McCulloch would say :)
The girl isn't Mestizo, because she is just a dark Caucasoid variant. Indic is my call.

Change the tune every now and then, that record is getting old. ;)

Marduk
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I reiterate my guess : she lools like a typical middle easterner woman. What makes you think she's indic ?

dan-dan
Sunday, October 12th, 2003, 09:45 PM
I reiterate my guess : she lools like a typical middle easterner woman. What makes you think she's indic ?

It is so depressing that so many people call out "Indid" purely because she is wearing a sari type outfit. Besides that, "Indid" a completely made up category. What is it supposed to mean? "Iranid" might mean something. She could be seen as an "Armenoid" type. Or something, not 'indid'.
She's portugese!

Evolved
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Amalia Rubin (http://www.hennaworks.com/amalia.htm) she is a Sephardic jew. ;)

Marduk
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 01:53 AM
I was not so far from the truth, since Sephardic jews and Arabs are cousins. ;)

Marduk
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 01:55 AM
She's a little too fat to my taste, it seems to be a common default to Oriental women. As a matter of fact, many Arab women (mostly from Northern Africa) suffer that problem. Due to food ? :D

cosmocreator
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM
It is so depressing that so many people call out "Indid" purely because she is wearing a sari type outfit. Besides that, "Indid" a completely made up category. What is it supposed to mean? "Iranid" might mean something. She could be seen as an "Armenoid" type. Or something, not 'indid'.
She's portugese!

You should take some time to learn about race before you post on the subject.

Louky
Monday, October 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Darn! I got here too late. That's just what I thought when I saw the picture.

Very clever, LG33!

dan-dan
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 07:59 PM
You should take some time to learn about race before you post on the subject.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me, then, on exactly what Indid means, in terms of a person's physiognomy? Or Mongoloid, for that matter...
In fact, provide me with even one (reputable) citation defining either of these fantastical categories and you will be rewarded with $10, CASH!
And, dear cosmo, merely making remarks concerning my ignorance without offering to set it right make a person look a little...how you say....ignorant, if not stupid, themself. Okay?

Loki
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me, then, on exactly what Indid means, in terms of a person's physiognomy? Or Mongoloid, for that matter...
In fact, provide me with even one (reputable) citation defining either of these fantastical categories and you will be rewarded with $10, CASH!
And, dear cosmo, merely making remarks concerning my ignorance without offering to set it right make a person look a little...how you say....ignorant, if not stupid, themself. Okay?

The Mongoloid race is a "fantastical category"? If I understand you correctly in this, then I would have to agree with cosmocreator that you need to learn the basics about race first, and then return to participate in the forum at a later stage.

THobbes
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 08:24 PM
What do you think? Guess ethnicity. :)

she is clear from morroco!

Allenson
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 08:39 PM

Here's a definition dan-dan:

1. Anthropology: Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central and eastern Asia.

Let's keep the insults to PMs or not at all, eh?

I've asked you this before dan-dan. Why are you here? You seem to enjoy refuting things and yet you offer nothing to back up your statements. In case you hadn't figured it out yet, this part of Skadi is a race forum where we discuss human physical anthropology. If you don't want to discuss this, then perhaps you should visit other online forums.

anfernee
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 08:51 PM
well she could have been an indian with mostly aryan genes and that what makes her caucasian looking

Nordhammer
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 09:20 PM
http://www.skadi.net/~nordhammer/12facesofCaucasoid.jpg

http://www.skadi.net/~nordhammer/faces of India.jpg

dan-dan
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Here's a definition dan-dan:

1. Anthropology: Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central and eastern Asia.
Let's keep the insults to PMs or not at all, eh?

What about epicanthic folds, cheekbones and wavy hair? What about all of the above, but with white skin? What about long-headed northern chinese, short-headed southerners? What about the range, from white to black, found among east-asian peoples, the varation of phenotypes. You have already plead ignorance as to this subject, which is fine. What has changed since then? And yes, insults should be left out!

Allenson
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 09:35 PM
[quote=Allenson]Here's a definition dan-dan:

Let's keep the insults to PMs or not at all, eh?QUOTE]

What about epicanthic folds, cheekbones and wavy hair? What about all of the above, but with white skin? What about long-headed northern chinese, short-headed southerners? What about the range, from white to black, found among east-asian peoples, the varation of phenotypes. You have already plead ignorance as to this subject, which is fine. What has changed since then? And yes, insults should be left out!

I was merely prividing you with a definition that I found online.

I said that I am not familiar with the various subtypes but that I recognize a member of the greater Mongoloid family when I see one....I can do that with relative ease.

Of course there is variation within a race or even a subtype. It would be silly to say otherwise.

Answer me this then dan-dan: What terminology do you like to use when discussing such matters? Again, you refute but offer nothing in return. you claimed that you are not an agent-provocateur but I'm having my doubts.

dan-dan
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM
I was merely prividing you with a definition that I found online.

I said that I am not familiar with the various subtypes but that I recognize a member of the greater Mongoloid family when I see one....I can do that with relative ease.

Of course there is variation within a race or even a subtype. It would be silly to say otherwise.

Answer me this then dan-dan: What terminology do you like to use when discussing such matters? Again, you refute but offer nothing in return. you claimed that you are not an agent-provocateur but I'm having my doubts.

I would simply prefer it if people would not mix terms which are only relevant in the broadest "racial" terms with terms which have specific meaning concerning phenotype. Mostly people on this site do not, but unfortunately most people rely solely on Coon's 'races of europe', and are completely unqualified to make any comment on non-europeans, with the exception of saying that they seem 'mongoloid' or 'negroid'.
Despite the fact that Coon was an old huckster with questionable methods, I'm sure he himself would question using those terms in those contexts, too...
My first postings on this site were comments on a swedish girl who everybody labeled 'mongoloid' and therefore non-swedish. It is from there and onward that I've formed my opinion of the intellegence and quality of this site. There are people who post here who are intellegent and insightful, but there are many whose only frame of reference for life outside their suburban wasteland is a copy of a book that was about 20 years out of date when it was first published, let alone now. I am not a provocateur, but it can be hard to keep a straight face in light of some of the ill-informed tomfoolery to be found on this site.

Loki
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I would simply prefer it if people would not mix terms which are only relevant in the broadest "racial" terms with terms which have specific meaning concerning phenotype. Mostly people on this site do not, but unfortunately most people rely solely on Coon's 'races of europe', and are completely unqualified to make any comment on non-europeans, with the exception of saying that they seem 'mongoloid' or 'negroid'.
Despite the fact that Coon was an old huckster with questionable methods, I'm sure he himself would question using those terms in those contexts, too...
My first postings on this site were comments on a swedish girl who everybody labeled 'mongoloid' and therefore non-swedish. It is from there and onward that I've formed my opinion of the intellegence and quality of this site. There are people who post here who are intellegent and insightful, but there are many whose only frame of reference for life outside their suburban wasteland is a copy of a book that was about 20 years out of date when it was first published, let alone now. I am not a provocateur, but it can be hard to keep a straight face in light of some of the ill-informed tomfoolery to be found on this site.

Then you are obviously too smart for us, dan-dan. You'd better find another forum with a high enough intellectual average for your genius. Sorry that we have dragged you down and underappreciated your brain power and underestimated your exhaustive knowledge on anthropology.

dan-dan
Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Then you are obviously too smart for us, dan-dan. You'd better find another forum with a high enough intellectual average for your genius. Sorry that we have dragged you down and underappreciated your brain power and underestimated your exhaustive knowledge on anthropology.

I already have found another forum, but I always find myself coming back here. Why?
It's your beard, Loki.
I find it INTOXICATING.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, October 15th, 2003, 01:48 AM

I don't think anthropologists of the past were complete on determining racial types. I think all measurements have to be taken in reference to each other.

Saying something like the nose is long yet low-rooted and low-bridged. Therefore they are Mongoloid. That is incomplete. That is one trait. There needs to be proportions like the Zygomatic Arches are 85% of the Auricular Head Height which is 65% of Glabello-Occiputal Length, for example.

We may not always agree totally on classifying someone. But we can tell a Dinaric from an Brunn. No one who is vaguely knowledgeable would confuse the two. We can also tell a Mongoloid from a Negro.

Allenson
Wednesday, October 15th, 2003, 05:06 PM

You seem not to like the term Mongoloid. Do you have another term in mind with which to describe the major branch of humanity that is native to eastern and much of central Asia?

What terms do you see as being mixed "which are only relevant in the broadest "racial" terms with terms which have specific meaning concerning phenotype."?

Well dan-dan, you'll have to pardon our ignorance. Many of us come here (and other places...be they books, websites, etc.) to learn. I'd like to add that if you carefully read through the anthropology forums here, you'll find citations to many authors besides Coon. So, while his subracial scheme is likely indeed the one that posters here are more familiar with, I think you'll find evidence that (gasp!) there is quite a lot of interest in learning beyond Coon's TRoE.

You're a pretty presumptuous fellow aren't you? I find it quite curious and utterly fascinating that you have such an insight into the minds of people who post on this forum. How do you do it? Where does your genius stem from? Why are you wasting time with us thralls? Do you wish to educate us all and enlighten us as to ways of the world?

Hindi
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Well there are thousands of Punjabi women looking like this Med type Jewish girl..my mother has the same type of skin and features she has..:)

Amalia
Wednesday, September 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I have to say, its strange to find a forum thread entirely dedicated to my ethnicity. So let me clarify.

Hi, I am Amalia Rubin, you posted my photo (which since ahs been removed, not due to this forum, but due to a change in websites) I am an ashkenazi Jew, so I am mediteranean and polish russian. I am also a small part Mongolian (as in 6.25%)

Yes, Hindi, I am frequently mistaken for Punjabi or Pakistani. I am also frequently mistaken for Egyptian, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and several other ethnicities.

Just wanted to clarify.

Allenson
Wednesday, September 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hello! :)

It's been almost three years since this thread was started....

dan-dan kind of hijacked it. I vaguely remember him. ;)

Amalia
Wednesday, September 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
haha. Yeah, but it was so weird to find a forum thread devoted entirely to what ethnicity I might be! (I liked that photo..haha...its long gone now...but everyone thinks I am part Tibetan these days.)

It was pretty fun reading the thread.