PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions concerning Race and Sub-Race

rusalka
Friday, October 10th, 2003, 06:46 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this thread but General Anthropology was my best bet. So here we go, I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm not quite sure about how the shape of the head speaks for sub-racial types. I mean, of course I know it is a very determining factor, but although I understand the size and the general shape of the head, I was wondering about the back of the head. Okay, to be more specific, some people have really straight napes, their head doesn't have a roundness to it at the back; and some people have this much more emphasized. Speaking of myself, the upper part of the back of my head is very round and it is much higher compared to where my nape is, and ends with a really thin neck. There's a very visible angle and curviness. So, what does a straight shape imply and what does a very round shape imply?

2. Okay the Caucasians race and the Blacks and the Asian race. Why is there a lot more variety in the eye and hair color and general facial features in the Caucasians and a lot less in the others? I mean, okay, of course Asians don't ALL look the same but the hair and eye color is the same, and they almost always have straight hair. The skin tone varies a lot in them but in general I think they look much more similar in themselves compared to the Caucasians. Same thing for the Blacks. If there is not a good admixture of "white" elements, light colored eyes or hair color other than dark brown or black is not seen. Why the limited variety?

Well I said a couple of questions but that's all I could think of now, I guess I forgot the others while typing these ones :shrug

Vojvoda
Friday, October 10th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this thread but General Anthropology was my best bet. So here we go, I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm not quite sure about how the shape of the head speaks for sub-racial types. I mean, of course I know it is a very determining factor, but although I understand the size and the general shape of the head, I was wondering about the back of the head. Okay, to be more specific, some people have really straight napes, their head doesn't have a roundness to it at the back; and some people have this much more emphasized. Speaking of myself, the upper part of the back of my head is very round and it is much higher compared to where my nape is, and ends with a really thin neck. There's a very visible angle and curviness. So, what does a straight shape imply and what does a very round shape imply?

2. Okay the Caucasians race and the Blacks and the Asian race. Why is there a lot more variety in the eye and hair color and general facial features in the Caucasians and a lot less in the others? I mean, okay, of course Asians don't ALL look the same but the hair and eye color is the same, and they almost always have straight hair. The skin tone varies a lot in them but in general I think they look much more similar in themselves compared to the Caucasians. Same thing for the Blacks. If there is not a good admixture of "white" elements, light colored eyes or hair color other than dark brown or black is not seen. Why the limited variety?

Well I said a couple of questions but that's all I could think of now, I guess I forgot the others while typing these ones :shrug

BRACHYCEPHALIC (Gr. for short-headed), a term invented by Andreas Retzius to denote those skulls of which the width from side to side was little less than the length from front to back, their ratio being as 80 to 100, as in those of the Mongolian type. Thus taking the length as 100, if the width exceeds 80, the skull is to be classed as brachycephalic. The prevailing form of the head of civilized races is brachycephalic. It is supposed that a brachycephalic race inhabited Europe before the Celts.

DOLICHOCEPHALIC (long-headed), a term invented by Andreas Retzius to denote (as opposed to " brachycephalic ") those skulls the diameter of which from side to side, or the transverse diameter, is small in comparison with the longitudinal diameter or that from front to back. Retzius, though inventing the term, did not define it precisely. Paul Broca applied it to skulls having a cephalic index of seventy-five and under, and this limit is generally adopted.

MESOCEPHALIC, a term applied by anthropologists to those skulls which exhibit a cephalic index intermediate between the dolichocephalic and brachycephalic crania. Taking the longer diameter of a skull, i.e. the one from front to back, as 100, mesocephalic skulls are those of which the trans verse diameter varies between 75 to 80.

This is a good learning site:

http://www.geocities.com/pbateman852/index.html

Milesian
Saturday, October 11th, 2003, 12:38 AM
In answer to the back of the head, the area is called the Occupit.
Some groups have a tapering backhead (such as Nordics for example) while others have rounded occupits (such as Meds for example).
My own is described as profusing (or powerfully jutting out from the neck) and rounded. Thus it may possibly be indicative of a Med influence (in my case it would be an ancient Proto-morphic Med type)

rusalka
Saturday, October 11th, 2003, 05:55 PM
In answer to the back of the head, the area is called the Occupit.
Some groups have a tapering backhead (such as Nordics for example) while others have rounded occupits (such as Meds for example).
My own is described as profusing (or powerfully jutting out from the neck) and rounded. Thus it may possibly be indicative of a Med influence (in my case it would be an ancient Proto-morphic Med type)
After careful observation (:) ) of my head I can say the following:

- The back of my head is narrower than the front. From the top of my ears, it starts to get narrower. The widest part is the top of the ears, which I think is called the parietal bone, judging from the link providenje gave. the Occupit, as you said, is extremely round for me, but it's not wide and round, it's a smallish area. So I'm kind of confused, it feels very round, it's certainly not flat, but it's also tapering because it gets narrower to the end. So I'm really confused now :) From this this link:

http://www.geocities.com/pbateman852/cfanalysis.htm

at the top, where it is marked as "b" I have a small rise after that area and then it goes down to the area marked "l" with an apparent angle, forming a small round shape at the occupit. To the back of my neck, it continues down with the round shape, not getting flat at all, like you said, my occupit is jutting out from my nape as well, there's definitely a clear angle there. But as for "tapering", it's also there. and very visibly, if I got it right.

@providenje: I could only use the skull bones and cranial index information from that site, because all the other information looked like a lot of maths, which I'm terrible at :) (as you can see from what I have written above!) Can you maybe explain more in layman's terms to a newbie. Thank you :)