PDA

View Full Version : What Is the New "Thanks"-Button All About?

Drömmarnas Stig
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I searched the forum for an answer but couldn't find one.
Can anyone tell me what this button is for?

I thought it might be for giving reputation points, but then again there is already a button for that.
I don't want to find out by trial-and-error as my biology teacher once taught me that would be the main difference between humans and apes... well that and the thumbs...

Aeternitas
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
It is a feature members can use to thank others for posts that they find useful, productive, etc. When a member thanks someone for a post, the fact that he thanked him appears under the post, along with the names of all others who thanked him.

QuietWind
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I searched the forum for an answer but couldn't find one.
Can anyone tell me what this button is for?

I thought it might be for giving reputation points, but then again there is already a button for that.
I don't want to find out by trial-and-error as my biology teacher once taught me that would be the main difference between humans and apes... well that and the thumbs...

I think you should find out by trial and error......here, give it a try on my post. :thumbup

Chlodovech
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
The thanks button brings you the possibilty of letting Skadi know how fond you are of somebody's post - in contrast with the anonymous rep. points.

Skadi-scientists are the best you'll find on the internet. :clap

All those gadgets are cool, they add some flavour to this forum. :thumbup

Oswiu
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I'm addicted to these, like that Gollum with his Precious!
As for Droemmarnas Stig's comments on trial and error, well, that just confirms my proud Inselaffe status! :)

QuietWind
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
There are only two things that I do not like about the "Thanks" feature: some posts I feel deserve a rep point, and some posts I like to give a personal message along with. :) I am saying this so that if people don't see me using "Thanks" alot, then it's not because I don't like all of you or your posts. I will probably be using the good old fashioned rep feature much more than the "Thanks" feature.

Sigurd Volsung
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
... I will probably be using the good old fashioned rep feature much more than the "Thanks" feature.

Same here, although the "Thanks" feature is a pretty cool addition. :)

QuietWind
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Same here, although the "Thanks" feature is a pretty cool addition. :)

I agree, but everytime I hit it, I always want to add a big smilie (of various expressions) next to where I gave thanks. :) So, insert smilie of your choice into any Thanks you get from me.

Drömmarnas Stig
Sunday, February 5th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Thank you all for the clarification!
If I had waited a bit longer before asking I would have found out by myself. Now more and more topics become self explanatory regarding the new feature as more and more people are using it.

Leofric
Sunday, February 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM
One of my favorite aspects of the Thanks button is that it makes it so we don't have to post just to let everyone know that we think a particular previous post is great. So if I read one of Frans_Jozef's or Blutwölfin's posts and I think (as usual) that it's fantastic, and I think it's so fantastic that I want to let everyone know that I think it's fantastic and even bring it to people's attention, well all I have to do now is click the Thanks button. That way, everyone can see that I have read and loved the post, and anyone searching for new thanked posts will see the post I thought was so great — and I won't have to waste my time or the server's resources with a reply just to say "Wow, F_J/Bw-in! Great Post! :thumbup "

Drömmarnas Stig
Saturday, February 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Something I noticed today:
The "thanks"-function no longer seems to add reputation points.

I received a couple of thanks but got no points for it. I clicked the "thanks"-button myself a couple of times to observe the points of the receiver. Nothing changed.

Did someone change it or is it just a flaw in the system?

Slå ring om Norge
Saturday, February 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Something I noticed today:
The "thanks"-function no longer seems to add reputation points.

I received a couple of thanks but got no points for it. I clicked the "thanks"-button myself a couple of times to observe the points of the receiver. Nothing changed.

Did someone change it or is it just a flaw in the system?

I have experienced exactly the same, but as I wanted to credit the quoted posting with a a thank, by using the thankbutton,this time a RP was added!

I do not see the pattern yet, but this random RP effect is better.

QuietWind
Saturday, February 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
If you wish to issues a rep point, use the rep feature (the little white scales-- or angel as I call it). :)

Drömmarnas Stig
Saturday, February 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
If you wish to issues a rep point, use the rep feature (the little white scales-- or angel as I call it). :)
Thanks, but I kind of knew that already...
It's just that the thanks button had the feature to add exactly one rep. point regardless of the rep. power of the respective member.
This seemed to have been off tracks today, but maybe it's fixed again as I received one point from "thore_hund" (funny name btw).

This doesn't matter at all really, just something I noticed and felt like sharing. ;)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I tried using the Thanks button many times today but not only didn't it work, it deleted the Thanks icon itself. What is happening? Is there a limit on using this feature? Also, the last poster at the very bottom of the thread just before it changes to a new page--that unfortunate guy doesn't get a Thanks icon by which to thank him on my computer.

Thorburn
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I tried using the Thanks button many times today but not only didn't it work, it deleted the Thanks icon itself. What is happening? Is there a limit on using this feature? Also, the last poster at the very bottom of the thread just before it changes to a new page--that unfortunate guy doesn't get a Thanks icon by which to thank him on my computer. It works for me. Does anybody else have this problem?

The Thanks button will always disappear, as the Thanks feature is Ajax based. Once you expressed your thanks, the button will vanish.

Siegmund
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM
It works for me. Does anybody else have this problem?
It usually works for me as well. But sometimes I do need to refresh the page for the button to operate.

Fjörgyn
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Works for me fast and normal.

If it don't works and the button won't work or the thanks will not shown, I delete just my browser-cache and restart the browser, after then it works again.

Thusnelda
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I tried using the Thanks button many times today but not only didn't it work, it deleted the Thanks icon itself.
I had this problem with my Opera 8.x-browser all the time. Last week, I´ve downloaded the new Opera 9.0-version. Since then the "thanks"-function works again. :)

Nicola_Canadian
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Somewhat releated questions -

What is the difference between the reputation and the reputation power? How do they change?

Does the number of posts being thanked is added somewhere and affecting the reputation?

Besides, I used to see who is viewing the thread and now I can't... Why is it so?

Thanx

Siegmund
Sunday, July 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
What is the difference between the reputation and the reputation power? How do they change?

Does the number of posts being thanked is added somewhere and affecting the reputation?
You might find this thread (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=38512) helpful.

fog
Sunday, January 21st, 2007, 04:06 AM
I would like to be able to thank myself sometimes... :D

Also, a thumbs down button would be nice.

Oswiu
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I think there's a software glitch somewhere... On the main page at the top, it says I've received more Thankses than even Aeternias. :scratch
How can this be, when she is a good responsible intelligent hardworking young woman, without whom the forum would collapse, and I'm a sleazy lowlife bum? :P

Thusnelda
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Don´t be so hard to yourself, Oswiu. Oh, and now you got one "Thanks" more on your account. :P

OneEnglishNorman
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have unfairly been awarded positive reputation and thanks for posts which are largely ignorant, ill-informed & childish, which I do not deserve, what should I do?

;)

Glynd Eastŵd
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I have unfairly been awarded positive reputation and thanks for posts which are largely ignorant, ill-informed & childish, which I do not deserve, what should I do?

;)

Leave the forum immediately.

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM

;)

Keep on doing that stuff , but cut out all bon mot, intelligence and foxy adroitness and get yourself a well-deserved ban for trollism.:P

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Leave the forum immediately.

Optioning for a solo career already? ;)

Oswiu
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Optioning for a solo career already? ;)
It'll be like the Jackson 5 breaking up, all over again... :weep

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, February 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
It'll be like the Jackson 5 breaking up, all over again... :weep

Yup, people give up to easy, and the tension which they cultivated themselves get so high, that breaking up is thought as a good and the only solution.

But a broken bridge can be overhauled, and beautiful ones SHOULD be restored by all means, patiently and perhaps one small step after the other, but each with determination and constantly aware of its best destiny.
That's how greatness comes to the world.

Frieden
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
How do you thank someone and send them a thank you message at the same time? I can only thank people; or I haven't figured out how to message thank.

Æmeric
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Click on the members username. You have the option of sending them a pm or you can view their profile & type them a quick message. But the messages written on the user profile pages can be read by anyone.

Frieden
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hm. I don't think I understand. So if you send a private message it is automatically classified as a thank?

What I mean is, people have sent me "thanks" but with messages attached to them. That is what I am trying to understand how to do.

SlíNanGael
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I gather you are referring to reputation points? "Thanks" and reputation points are not given simultaneously. You can thank someone or give them a reputation point, or both but they are disjoint.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm179/SliNanGael/frieden.png

Frieden
Sunday, July 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
AH! Excellent, thank you.

Berrocscir
Monday, September 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm afriad I'm having trouble thanking members for their posts. Every time i thank someone, the site says I've already thanked them for the post (which is not the case) just a minor point, but I'd hate fellow Skadians to think I don't appreciate them!

Nachtengel
Tuesday, September 30th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I'm having trouble too, but instead of saying I already thanked the member, it opens up a new page and asks me to log in again, what is very annoying.

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, October 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hmm, I noticed nothing odd about the thanks button. Everything works normal on my end. Could it have something to do with javascript activation on the browser? I have to activate javascript for the forums so I can surf the quick links, give reputation and other popup windows. Maybe the thanks button is in the same category.

Maelstrom
Tuesday, October 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm afriad I'm having trouble thanking members for their posts. Every time i thank someone, the site says I've already thanked them for the post (which is not the case) just a minor point, but I'd hate fellow Skadians to think I don't appreciate them!

I'm having the same problem too.

Witta
Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Here's a suggestion, the 'Thanks' button should be changed to a 'Hail' button.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/278/postthanksp.gif

Thusnelda
Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Here's a suggestion, the 'Thanks' button should be changed to a 'Hail' button.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/278/postthanksp.gif
:D

We could implement a negative button with thumbs down on it as well: The "Fail" button. :P Hail or Fail. ;)

Seriously, I don´t think that´s a good idea. "Hail" is a salute and not the same as thanking someone.

Sigurd
Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Well, one could certainly codify old salutes. Member A posts this smiley: :victory and Member B "Hails" him for it. ;)

Jokes aside, I have to agree with Valkyrie. Hailing someone and thanking someone are not the same. For instance, I sometimes thank posts which I don't agree with but find well-argued, well-presented and thought-inspiring.

SaxonPagan
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Just found out (having been on here since October!) how to send those "Reputation" points :)
My apologies to all those who have sent me one and had nothing back for their efforts but I'm onto it now!

I never had any problems with the "Thanks" button because it's easy to find but you have to go looking a bit for the Reps. Also, I thought you needed a certain level of seniority before being able to send them but I now realise that anyone can.

Anyway, I didn't want members to think I had a policy of not giving any out and this seems like a relevant thread on which to mention it.