PDA

View Full Version : Frisian Paganism Tattoo Input

ubbe
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know who the cheif god was in the pagan frisian pantheon? Was it Donar, Freyr, or Wotan? Now were the Frisians part of the Ingaevones? I want to get a new tattoo and am torn between a boar,Skidbladnir, a raven or mjolnir . If so then I'd probally go with a boar or other symbol of Freyr cause Im also Dutch. Also if anyone has a good llink to pagan symbols please post!!!

I dont want to get a tattoo for one god and then later find out my ancestors didnt even worship him. Im not a poser.

The Black Prince
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know who the cheif god was in the pagan frisian pantheon? Was it Donar, Freyr, or Wotan?
Wodan / Wda
(Same as Odin, Wotan, Wden, Wuotan or inn)
Was the chief god of the Frisians, the Frisian word for wednesday(wdnesdg, old Eng.) is woansdei/wnsdei.

Thonar
(Same as Thorburn, unor, Donar, rr, Thunar)
The Frisian wurd for thursday (unresdg, old Eng.) is toansdei.

Ing
(Same as Inguz, Yngvi, Freyr)
Probably one of the most populair gods.
Frisian for the English/Englishmen is Ingelsk, Ingelsen.
The name Ingaevone is derrived from Ing.

Freya
(Not sure either the same as Aesir:"Frge, Frja or Frigg" or Vanir:"Freo")
There's a theory that the name Frisian is derrived from this goddes of love, the other theory is that its derrived from the wurd 'free' (fry, in Frisian).
Friday is called 'freed' in Frisian.

Other important gods for the Frisians where: Forsite (Fosite, Foste), Stavo.
And these, Nerthus and Baduhenna, were also of importance although there names probably have been Romanized.

Now were the Frisians part of the Ingaevones?

Yes, together with the Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Warns and some smaller tribes whose names are now long forgotten.