PDA

View Full Version : 'The Americans are conceited and arrogant,' Jones says

Phlegethon
Saturday, September 27th, 2003, 02:45 AM
http://www.faz.com/IN/INtemplates/eFAZ/images/leer.gif
'The Americans are conceited and arrogant,' Jones says

Germany's Steffi Jones talks about the national team, World Cup competition, U.S. superstars and homosexuality

Steffi Jones is considered one of the most internationally renowned women soccer players. Following a stint as a professional soccer player in the United States, she was reactivated to play for Germany's national team at the Women's World Cup. Jones was the first female soccer player to reach stardom in Germany after becoming league champion and national tournament winner with FFC Frankfurt. She also played professional soccer alongside superstar Mia Hamm in Washington D.C.

You have won almost every important title in women's soccer. What does Germany need to do to become world champion for the first time?

I was only 26 at the last World Cup in 1999 in the United States, so I wasn't mature enough. I'd played in enough national matches and I was self-confident. But I'd never played in front of so many people - that was my first big tournament with 60,000 or 70,000 fans. It made me pretty nervous. The Americans ran all over us in the quarterfinals. But in the past four years we were able to catch up. We've become much more athletic and psychologically we're much stronger. German athletes were top performers in the U.S. professional soccer league this year. This World Cup is going to be a lot different. I don't have respect for the Americans anymore.

But there are still the strong Chinese and the Olympic winner Norway.

That's true. But the United States is the opponent that you really want to beat. The Americans are conceited and arrogant and overflowing with self-confidence. But athletically, we're stronger. I'm convinced that we have players with better technique. Few of them have the hunger to win. They play for the money, and because they can get advertisement deals. I've seen five national matches. It was nothing, just a bunch of messing around.

What role do the looks of an athlete play in marketing?

Looking good is important. So are charisma, being able to express yourself, smiling a lot and not always being negative as well as playing well.

And sometimes undressing?

It would be exciting to appear naked once. I'm not someone who would entirely rule it out. Of course, it must come across nice athletically. But it wouldn't help women's soccer.
There's another topic that seems to always come up with women's soccer.

That some players look manly?

The issue of homosexuality.
That's already improved a lot. When I began playing for the national team, everyone kept asking: Are you attracted to women? Do you like men? Nowadays it's no longer an issue. And besides, you'll not find any player who would come out publicly.

Interview was conducted by Michael Ashelm of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Sep. 26, 2003

Greeneyeddevil63
Saturday, September 27th, 2003, 07:45 AM
I guess we are.

dinarid love
Friday, October 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM
I guess we are.
yep...

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, October 11th, 2003, 02:14 AM
well...

Arrogance is bliss :D

Sigrun Christianson