PDA

View Full Version : Downtime

Thorburn
Wednesday, September 24th, 2003, 01:24 PM
The Web Services - and with them Skadi Forum - have been down for the last 8 hours due to technical issues on the server level.

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards,

- Thorburn

Thorburn
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
The whole Skadi server was cut off for three days from the Internet by our uplink due to (repeated) extensive spamvertizing by apparently well-meaning members.

Having been on a journey, I only had learned about this today, and thus could only make now arrangements to have the server reconnected. Please do not spamvertize (= unsolicited bulk-advertizing via email) this server, this forum, or any of the server's services.

Our uplink has zero tolerance for this, and in the worst case scenario all services would be permanently suspended.

I saw that Loki was so kind to create a temporary discussion forum during Skadi's downtime ( on http://www.forums.skadi.net ). As it is technically impossible to merge or synchronize the databases, however, I would ask every author to copy & paste articles he desires to have preserved from the Nordish forum to Skadi forum.

Kind regards,

- Thorburn

Braveheart
Thursday, October 23rd, 2003, 04:46 AM
So what you're saying is that someone sent out thousands of emails essentially saying, "Come visit www.skadi.net"? And for that your host deactivated this website? That's ridiculous becase you yourself cannot control what anyone else does. For example, I could chose to send out thousands of emails advertising this site, and I could do so without your knowledge or consent. So, why should you then be punished for something I did out of my own free will?

Thorburn
Sunday, October 26th, 2003, 08:32 AM
So what you're saying is that someone sent out thousands of emails essentially saying, "Come visit www.skadi.net"? And for that your host deactivated this website? That's ridiculous becase you yourself cannot control what anyone else does. For example, I could chose to send out thousands of emails advertising this site, and I could do so without your knowledge or consent. So, why should you then be punished for something I did out of my own free will? Yes, that is what I am saying, and that is why we were just cut off for the second time. A Nigerian money fraud chain letter, sent to thousands of people, carried the URL to an article on our forum. Our upstream provider received six complaints and we were disconnected for another day. Needless to say that neither we, nor any of our services' users had anything to do with it. Ridiculous? Yes. - Unfair? Yes. - But that are the rules of our uplink, and we did not make them. Obviously, anyone can spamvertize his site and pretend he has nothing to do with it. Spam is a real problem, and that way our uplink wants to keep it under control. I hope the site will stay up for now...

My special thanks and regards to Sigrun for having negotiated the reconnection.

- Thorburn

Thorburn
Wednesday, July 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
We are currently reconfiguring the server. Additional brief downtime periods might occur within the next days.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Aeternitas
Sunday, July 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately, the Althing has suffered a DDoS attack (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FDenial-of-service_attack) today. This is the first time that the Althing has suffered an attack. Fortunately, we had a recent backup available and we have been able to restore the forum from it. Since the backup was a day old, some of the recent posts, reputation points, PMs and everything else from the last day have been lost. The members who have registered during this time will also have to re-register. We apologize for the inconvenience.

MockTurtle
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM
This could be a pointless question, but is there any means of knowing the reasons behind the attack or who is responsible?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Brynhild
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Well, that explains a few things, including a thread that I lost.

Glad I didn't abuse anybody...... LOL

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hmm, this was unfortunate. I was wondering what happened yesterday. I was planning to spend a little time on the forum since it was Sunday and I had more time. Now some of my posts have been lost for sure. But at least not much data was lost after this attack. Thank you, Aeternitas.

P.S. I'm wondering if the author of this low behaviour can be found? He should be reported because hacking is illegal everywhere.

Aeternitas
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to locate the source. A botnet (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FBotnet) was used for the attack.

If a machine receives a denial-of-service attack (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FDenial-of-service_attack) from a botnet, few choices exist. Given the general geographic dispersal of botnets, it becomes difficult to identify a pattern of offending machines, and the sheer volume of IP addresses (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FIP_Address) does not lend itself to the filtering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_%28networking%29) of individual cases.The reasons could be various, either someone hates the Althing, or they were bored or experimenting how to kill servers, etc., we don't know.

Thusnelda
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I´m glad that we had a recent backup. :) Thanks to the administration! I hope the board can go one without such attacks in the future.

GroeneWolf
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That explains why I couldn't get to the Althing yesterday. Aren't there ways to partily block such atacks? Since this probaly won't be the last one.

Plushtar
Monday, July 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hmm, this was unfortunate. I was wondering what happened yesterday. I was planning to spend a little time on the forum since it was Sunday and I had more time. Now some of my posts have been lost for sure. But at least not much data was lost after this attack. Thank you, Raven.

P.S. I'm wondering if the author of this low behaviour can be found? He should be reported because hacking is illegal everywhere.
You, too! I thought I had wrote something that offended the moderators. If I can remember what I posted and where, I will try to rewrite what I did.

lei.talk
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Unfortunately, the Althing has suffered a Distributed Denial-of-Service attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack) today...
Fortunately, we had a recent backup available
and we have been able to restore the forum from it.

how does blocking the entrances
to this forum

disturb the extant content? :confused:

Ĉmeric
Monday, July 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Was there another attack? All the posts from the last 3-days are missing. I assumed the Althing was down for routine maintenance.

Aeternitas
Monday, July 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
The database was corrupted. The problem couldn't be fixed, so we had to restore the most recent backup which didn't contain a damaged database. Unfortunately, the posts from the last days were lost.

Erhard
Monday, July 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
This purging of posts, twice now and whether malicious or inadvertent, defeats communication on this board. But it's not like I'm expecting some sort of legacy, either. ;)
Yes, the administration deletes the posts maliciously, including its own posts and our staff posts, just to piss you off and because it's such a good advertisement for the board. :ner-ner0:

In this case, a vBulletin standard script which should have fixed the language templates and phrases (there was, for example, "Signatur editieren" instead of "Edit Signature" displayed in the English language set, and it wouldn't even change by manually editing the template) went berzerk. :confused:

As far as I understood, there is a vBulletin button in the Admin CP which should fix such things by replacing all unaltered templates and phrases with their originals, but for unknown reason it destroyed the post table. Maybe it's buggy, because these scripts aren't used often und therefore also not tested extensively, in particular not on boards with lots of additional non-vB features.

So sorry for the lost posts, but I hope you understand that it's for us as cumbrous and annoying as for you ... if not more. :(

Kreis AnnA
Monday, July 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, the administration deletes the posts maliciously, including its own posts and our staff posts, just to piss you off and because it's such a good advertisement for the board. :ner-ner0:

In this case, a vBulletin standard script which should have fixed the language templates and phrases (there was, for example, "Signatur editieren" instead of "Edit Signature" displayed in the English language set, and it wouldn't even change by manually editing the template) went berzerk. :confused:

As far as I understood, there is a vBulletin button in the Admin CP which should fix such things by replacing all unaltered templates and phrases with their originals, but for unknown reason it destroyed the post table. Maybe it's buggy, because these scripts aren't used often und therefore also not tested extensively, in particular not on boards with lots of additional non-vB features.

So sorry for the lost posts, but I hope you understand that it's for us as cumbrous and annoying as for you ... if not more. :(

I wasn't ascribing blame or conspiracy by management, although such paranoia can be arrainged :D. Actually, I have participated on boards that were hacked and purged. Also, I would think there were viruses and other messy things floating about on the Internets thanks to the indulgently malicious.

Aeternitas
Monday, July 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
There wasn't a hack this time. Simply, a script which was supposed to run normally, corrupted the database and that's when the virtual "hell" started. The usercp stopped responding, threads, posts and forums couldn't be accessed, etc. Things like these happen once in a while, which is why it's good that we perform regular backups. It's as annoying to us, as it is to you, however, one should always look at the bright side. Other forums that were hacked had to start from scratch. A little wind is more bearable than a tornado. ;)

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
It's as annoying to us, as it is to you, however, one should always look at the bright side. Other forums that were hacked had to start from scratch. Running a message board is difficult. You are doing a fine job. :)
A little wind is more bearable than a tornado. You must understand the irony of a European talking about a tornado. ;)

Mrs. Lyfing
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
I miss the Althing when its down. I am glad its doing better. We must nurse her. :D

Jute
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I am glad to hear it was no hack. It seemed like it was one though, when it happened. All the threads disappeared suddenly :(

I have been busy trying to save some posts, from my internet-cache.

Some people may not know that they have "cached" versions of most webpages they visit. Click "Work Offline" > History > And try to click on pages, some will appear as you last viewed them, so you can recover good posts or discussions this way. You can also increase the disk space dedicated to caching webpages to save more in Options. Caches can expire after a short time, though.

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
There wasn't a hack this time. Simply, a script which was supposed to run normally, corrupted the database and that's when the virtual "hell" started. The usercp stopped responding, threads, posts and forums couldn't be accessed, etc. Things like these happen once in a while, which is why it's good that we perform regular backups. It's as annoying to us, as it is to you, however, one should always look at the bright side. Other forums that were hacked had to start from scratch. A little wind is more bearable than a tornado. ;)
That's some annoying business...I admire your courage!

Anyway, last time I logged in and the forum was under maintenance, I had a notification for 2 PMs. When the forum was restored from an earlier back-up, they were gone. So what I mean to say is, whoever it was...PM me again ;)

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
I was worried that the Althing was down again, but I am glad it returned soon. Unfrotunately I lost some posts, but I will repost some of the material.
Thanks for solving the problems Aeternitas.