PDA

View Full Version : HST- Hypertrophy Specific Training

Evil_Ash
Wednesday, December 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
HST - Hypertrophy Specific Training was developed by Bryan Haycock and incorporates latest scientific research to optimize and maximize your training results.
I have been working out using the HST principles for about a year now with very positive results and much better gains then conventional training methods.

I have attached a summary of the HST principles.

Feel free to comment on this method. I used now for a while and it definately improved my gains.

For more reading go to : http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

sceagacros
Wednesday, December 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
Very interesting -and something to think about.
Some off the top of my head concerns would be -that in general most people experience bigger gains as they learn to train smarter and escape the begginers inevitable tendency to overtrain with less than optimal loads.This seems at odds with this system -but dont get offended at my questioning it -I really will make a serious effort to find if substantiating scientific evidence exists.
As for the rest of the principal ideas - these are not new or revolutionary at all .I find an overwhelming amount of "new" systems these days (suspiciously coinciding with the increase of money spent by the public on books , tapes , supplements ect.)That all have these "revolutionary methods" that are not new at all to decades long iron veterans.IMHO there really hasn't been any "new" systems since Dorian Yates "fine tuned" Arthur Jones' HIT system . All the "new" revolutionary systems seem (again just MHO) to basically reiterate these "conventional time proven techniques while claiming that they are different.
Let me respectfully address the four major points of HST:
1)mechanical load-I refuse to believe that even the guy making money off inventing this system is going to anytime anyplace EVER claim this is not conventional, and none of his assertiona regarding/explaining it are in any way unique from LONG, LONG time conventional wisdom.
2)acute vs. chronic stimuli- From the onset I find his assertion that the once a week hit on a muscle isn't enough suspect because it imply's that conventional wisdom hit's the muscle once a week- simply not true most muscle groups are known (and have been since ARNOLD) to recover in 48 hours , the exception would be the back wich is recommended to let recover for 72.Most conventional systems concerned with bodybuilding are hitting things twice a week except at the highest levels of the sport where chemicals play an undeniable role in altering the bodies normal anabolic state and the amount of time spent in it and the stress TO THE JOINTS and IMMUNE SYSTEM are so intense that longer recovery times are absolutely needed.My main concern here would be that I assume it would be the begginer / novice using this system and if they are an all natural body builder they are basically going to over train if they dont balance some of these assertions with other info sources.It's hard to build muscle if you're sick all the time and if you're lifting amounts that allow you to hit major muscle groups 3 times a week or more you could be lifting much more intensive loads twice a week and adding much more size.
3)progressive load-nothing new here we've been doing forced reps,negatives ect.ect.ect. for years when unable to simply throw on another plate to increase the work load -pre-exhausting has also been in existance for decades although for the beginner/novice it has no real benefit.
4)Strategic reconditioning- seems like a different way to get across the idea of progressive loads and add that all crucial "fourth principal" every money making system needs.

Hey , you invited responses so please dont get offended at mine - I wish I could take more time but unfortunately have to go take lunch . I will edit/post more when I return as I love discussing weight training and even though I dont agree with this system in as far as it being new in any way or non conventional- I'm sure you are a fine fellow and look forwards to an engaging and mutually enjoyable chat .:)
I would also wonder what your "conventional" training consisted of before?Looking forwards to hearing from you.

Respectfully'
Sceagecros

Evil_Ash
Wednesday, December 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your input and no offense taken. I can only give you my opinion and what my results are using HST. I am sure that there are plenty of great and not so great systems out there. BTW. The author (since you can't invent training methods) of this does not financially benefit from this system because it on his site freely available. He does not sell any books about it either. The only thing he has on his site is supplements that you can buy from anywhere else too and are not specific or needed for the HST.

I agree with you that this system is not really "new" or revolutionary and I don't think that Bryan claims that in any way. What it does though is to put down a good structure for efficient workouts.
I for example have fine tuned my programm to my own personal needs and if you go to the forum of tha HST page you will find that most users start adjusting the system to their personal needs after the 2nd or 3rd cycle.

As I mentioned before, this system lays down a good basis for a structured workout program that is crucial for people that want to see constant gains to keep their motivation up. Unfortunately there are way to many "brickheads" out there that senslessly hit the gym daily and exhauset themsleves with minimal success (especially after the first few weeks once the body has adjusted to the new stress). And the only thing they complain about is that they "plateued" at a certain weight and have a hard time passing that limit.

You also mentioned the risk of overtraining. Well believe it or not but the risk of overtraining with HST is very minimal if you do it right. Most of the time you are working up to your limit that you can lift a for certain reps therefore conditioning you body for the heavier loads that are coming later in the program (these max loads are recalculated after each completed cycle). This progressive cycle ensures and ever increasing load without stressing your body to the point of overtraining.

As to your question about my previous training method: I used to train a lot using different methods for different needs. I took a break for a couple of years due to moving and so on and got back to weight training about 2 years ago.
I used to the train more conventionally where I would hit most of my muscles once a week and leave enough time to recover. The problem was though that I would hit certain limits in weights that I could lift and I had a hard time overcoming this.
Since I use the HST principles I feel that my workout is more efficient and I have much better gains then ever before.

sceagacros
Thursday, December 22nd, 2005, 01:14 AM
In light of your response , I will re-assess my take on this system.Good point on authorship vs. "inventing" , but as I read the link provided - the site does seem to insinuate a few things , mostly that the HST system is an improvement upon conventional training regimens and based on superior and deeper knowledge of hypertrophy at the cellular level(I'm willing to admit it could just be me - but I re-read the link you provided just to be sure- and still drew the same conclusion).I would emphasize that this is insinuated , but done in such a way as to definitely infer that HST is not only different ,but an improvement upon conventional techniques.Perhaps a working definition of what I'm meaning when I say"conventional techniques" would be beneficial , for the purposes of this dialogue.
I include in "conventional techniques" any and all effective techniques and or knowledge that is widely known and practiced by professional , semi-professional , and serious enthusiasts- and is freely and widely desseminated throughout the body building , power lifting and strength training community with out being classified into a "system".
If you are saying that HST is a SYNTHESIS of some of these principals and techniques then I would agree with you - and all this has just been an interesting and welcome break from my daily monotony!My point is basically that - today , so many people that have been in or around the hard-core lifting community, put a few of it's principles together in various ways and present it to the largely uneducated (in these principles) public , slap the term "system" on it and perpetrate the perception that there are "secrets" to gaining mass .Unfailingly , whenever I examine these "systems" I'm left with a feeling of misrepresentation as I feel they prey on the neophytes lack of knowledge that these principals have been being used and refined by many for years to "Guru-ize"(I know , I know - I just made it up) themselves(usually for financial gain).They remind me of Real-estate agents(I'm qualified to use this analogy as I used to be one) that basically make thier living by putting a lot of effort into maintaining the appearance of having access to knowledge not openly available . When in fact anyone with the willingness to do a little research(especially in todays internet age) can quite easily avail themselves of 99% of the "wisdom" of these "gym guru's" (as well as learn to do themselves what their real-estate agent is going to take 5-15% of their buying / selling price to do).Ok , enough with the realestate analogies!
I'm not questioning that this HST system has worked for you - I take you at your word that it indeed has.I'm just not thoroughly convinced that this guy is offering his HST system from some altruistic sense of humankindness.
I will also take you at your word that if done right over-training is not a factor , after all -you ARE the one actually implementing it ,so it only follows.
This may not be the case here , but sometimes a particular "system" / presentation of the basic principals can be inspiring to one previously losing motivation in what we both know can be a very boring and monotonous pursuit day in and day out over the long haul.And even if thats all that HST is-a new way of packaging the old boring cliches then I say GOOD!Whatever motivates is allright by me.:thumbup

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, December 22nd, 2005, 04:00 AM
This article seems to touch upon it but doesn't go into detail---the fact that at various stages of life, different training methods work best. For instance I believe as a person ages they are able to do fewer sets and reps and get even better results at least as far as strength is concerned. As a teenager, it was hard for me to get stronger although I could do plenty of volume. This reversed later in life so that at 45 I was much stronger than at 19 and had bigger arms and legs while doing only Olympic style lifts in a Russian system.

Evil_Ash
Thursday, December 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Sceagacros,

I agree with you that the change to HST might have been just a needed change in routine. As we all know changing your routine is what keeps to body from adapting to your training which is bad for gains.

I also take back my statement about the author not benefitting from his program. Hi might very well make money off it in some other ways even though his program is freely available on his site.

But going back to the training itself:

The most interesting mart of HST for me was that some of his claims are the opposite of what you hear from others. Most people train a bodypart 1-2 a week whereas HST wants you to train it everytime you work out (Fullbody workout) and he backs his claims up with scientific research papers.
I have attached a summary of his article

sceagacros
Friday, December 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evil Ash ,
You've earned my respect over the course of this thread . I've enjoyed the dialogue and have changed from a stance of being somewhat dismissive of the HST system , to one of giving it the benefit of the doubt .I really don't feel that theres any thing more of value that I can contribute to this thread , but I look forwards to interacting with you, and benefiting from your 2 cents - on others in the future - you sir , are a gentleman...:thumbup

*lest you think me rude I want you to know that I did click on and read your above linked attachment -It's coming back as 0 views for some reason and even though I've opened it several times trying to change the 0 view status - for now it continues that way , I don't really know how these things work or if the two views of mine will be credited at some future time or not - but I did want to make you aware that I did open and read the attachment and appreciate your taking the time/effort to provide it.:)

Evil_Ash
Friday, December 23rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
I also enjoyed our discussion and have to give you probs for being very polite and open to new concepts and not hardheaded and single minded like a lot of other people when it comes to weight training.:thumbup:thumbup