PDA

View Full Version : Thin skin and dark patches

Rubezahl
Monday, December 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM
My skin is pale, thin, and quite transperant, especially beneath the
eyes, so the blood vessels there are somewhat visible, a thing which results in dark patches (a family trait).

Does anyone know how frequent are 'dark circles under the eyes' in the world's European population?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers.

Allenson
Monday, December 19th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know how frequent are 'dark circles under the eyes' in the world's European population?

I think that this trait is more commonly seen in Dinarids and Armenoids than in other types...

cosmocreator
Tuesday, December 20th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I see it mostly in Pakistanis/East Indians.

Rubezahl
Tuesday, December 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Sorry matey, I have no Pakistani/Indian ancenstors.
And, I was classified as some eastern european nordish type,
with no trace of dinarid/armenoid blood.
I have deep-set eyes, which might explain the somewhat shadowy eyes effect.
The light skin makes the patches more noticeable.

Heksulv
Saturday, December 24th, 2005, 05:17 AM
I have the same thing with relatively light skin, as does my mom's entire side of the family. I've been classified as Pontid [west mediterranian] so maybe you have some south-Slavic ancestry?

ceruleancleric
Friday, December 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I have the same thing, from my mother's side of my family. None of my siblings has it though. People always think I have eye shadow on or something. I would be interested in knowing more about that trait.

Bismark
Friday, December 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
The skin under the eyes is the thinnest on the body. The many blood vessels in this area can show through the delicate skin, contributing to the appearance of dark under-eye circles, especially if the vessels become dilated. Fat pads surround the eyes, and the muscles that enclose the upper and lower eyelids hold the fat pads (and skin) in place. As we age, skin and muscle lose elasticity, which can result in sagging around the eyes.

Dark circles can be caused by several factors:

* Genetics Darkness under the eyes runs in families and is more prominent on fair skin, and is more common in fair skined families.

* Lack of sleep, or Poor-quality sleep causes blood vessels to become more visible through the skin. General fatigue.

* Dark circles below the eyes is also a symptom of Anemia.

Rubezahl
Sunday, January 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Anemia? I see...
Well anyway not all the surface below the eyes is dark, so it's
not such a big problem.
The new pope has this trait; but, then again, he's over 80!