PDA

View Full Version : Gay couple denied U.S. entry as a family

cosmocreator
Friday, September 19th, 2003, 07:23 PM
:rotfl

http://canada.com/national/story.as...25-B1FD4F777325

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gay couple denied U.S. entry as a family
Thursday, September 18, 2003

TORONTO -- A gay married couple said they were refused entry into the United States after a U.S. customs official at the Toronto airport wouldn't accept their customs clearance form as a family.

Kevin Bourassa and Joe Varnell said they abandoned their trip to Georgia because the customs official insisted that they fill out individual forms as single people.

After complaining to a customs supervisor, Bourassa said, the couple were told that they wouldn't be allowed into the United States as a family because the country doesn't recognize same-sex marriages.

"Then we realized we weren't going to be allowed into the country, we had to make a real hard decision,'' Bourassa, claiming a violation of human rights, said in an interview from their Toronto home. "We could have filled out separate forms, but how much of your dignity do you want to have chip away? We feel we had an affront to our dignity, so we decided to go back home.''

Bourassa said he and Varnell were heading to Braselton, Ga., to speak at a human rights conference featuring Coretta Scott King, the widow of human rights activist Martin Luther King Jr.

Bourassa, who works full time as an advocate for same-sex marriages, and Varnell, a banking manager, were married in 2001 before the Ontario Court of Appeal recognized last June the right for gays to legally marry.

Their 2001 ceremony was then recognized as a legal union in the province in light of the court decision.

The couple's lawyer, Doug Elliott, said he spoke to Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham early Thursday and Graham advised him to deal with Deputy Prime Minister John Manley because he would have more authority over border issues.

Elliott said that although the U.S. customs official was enforcing American law by not allowing Bourassa and Varnell into the United States, "he was doing it on Canadian soil.''

Evolved
Wednesday, September 24th, 2003, 01:50 AM
http://www.publicagenda.org/issues/factfiles_detail.cfm?issue_type=gay_righ ts&list=10

http://www.publicagenda.org/issues/factfiles_detail.cfm?issue_type=gay_righ ts&list=11

I don't know about executing them, but I would ban homosexuals from entering the country and expel those who live here already. And certainly end all this fluffy, light-hearted propaganda aimed at homosexual acceptance. I don't want to raise my family around gays, or have them confused by the media that being gay might not only be "ok" but that it's even "the cool thing to do." It's not cool, it's not natural. :insulted

Sentinel
Thursday, September 25th, 2003, 05:20 PM
They should have done some research on U.S, laws regarding family passports and same sex marriages then none of this would have happened.

rabidNS
Friday, September 26th, 2003, 12:59 AM
More freaks from Canuckastan, the door is wide open for legally marrying your household pet. The Parliament is a few bills away from recongnizing the Bible as hate speech ( no joke!)

Moron
Tuesday, September 30th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Canuckastan? good one....... As for worrying about them coming into america? america has 10000x the population, and im sure 10000x the gays. Please dont label us that way. America has enough to worry about with their own gays.

cosmocreator
Tuesday, September 30th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Canuckastan? good one....... As for worrying about them coming into america? america has 10000x the population, and im sure 10000x the gays. Please dont label us that way. America has enough to worry about with their own gays.

10000x? I think you mean 10x

rabidNS
Wednesday, October 1st, 2003, 12:14 AM
Canuckastan, yeah that's right! I'm from Canada , and I can tell you it's morally bankrupt.

If your a Nigerian mass murderer they'll hook you up with a visa, free health care, and housing then spend millions to find out if your a bad guy. On the other hand, if your a 87 year old Latvian and a former SS translator they'll hunt you down like a mad dog and deport you.

Greeneyeddevil63
Wednesday, October 1st, 2003, 06:37 AM
:rotfl

http://canada.com/national/story.as...25-B1FD4F777325

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gay couple denied U.S. entry as a family
Thursday, September 18, 2003

Elliott said that although the U.S. customs official was enforcing American law by not allowing Bourassa and Varnell into the United States, "he was doing it on Canadian soil.''

That's mostly because canada is our ...

fill in the blank cosmo???

cosmocreator
Wednesday, October 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
That's mostly because canada is our ...

fill in the blank cosmo???

Don't play games with. I have powers you can not imagine.

Greeneyeddevil63
Saturday, October 4th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Don't play games with. I have powers you can not imagine.

We don't play Cosmo... It is not here... where everyone can see that you should be so ...........................

we've got an embassy where you are..........

if you are interested............

come on in.........

we welcome you..........

we've been looking for a few good men..................................... ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ...........................

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
bchefghijklmonpqrstuvwxyza
cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzab

do you know what that is Cosmo???

If so,

I've got a use for YOU...

IT'S as simple as that.......

let me refer you ......

we're more than capable too.... you think that you're alone..????

Watch Out....... I've got a finger in every piece of the pie.......

Get some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to U.S.

;)

Evolved
Saturday, October 4th, 2003, 01:38 AM
I think some of this forum's members have been beamed in from another planet. :grey

cosmocreator
Saturday, October 4th, 2003, 05:47 AM
We don't play Cosmo... It is not here... where everyone can see that you should be so ...........................

we've got an embassy where you are..........

if you are interested............

come on in.........

we welcome you..........

we've been looking for a few good men..................................... ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ...........................

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
bchefghijklmonpqrstuvwxyza
cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzab

do you know what that is Cosmo???

If so,

I've got a use for YOU...

IT'S as simple as that.......

let me refer you ......

we're more than capable too.... you think that you're alone..????

Watch Out....... I've got a finger in every piece of the pie.......

Get some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to U.S.

;)

This post just got you banned for a week. Post quality posts.