PDA

View Full Version : Classify Diana Krall

cosmocreator
Wednesday, September 10th, 2003, 11:21 PM
She was born in British Columbia. I suspect, given her last name, she is of German ancestry. What do you think she is?

http://www.dianakrall.com/

Phlegethon
Wednesday, September 10th, 2003, 11:49 PM
She was born in British Columbia. I suspect, given her last name, she is of German ancestry. What do you think she is?
I read somewhere that she is Jewish. Haven't been able to verify that, though.

Vojvoda
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 12:17 AM
I read somewhere that she is Jewish. Haven't been able to verify that, though.

Krall is slavic for "king", "konig" is the german word for it.

Phlegethon
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Krall is slavic for "king", "konig" is the german word for it.
Actually it is "König".
But "Kralle" also is the German word for claw - and the name Krall reminds me of that Polish Jewess Hanna Krall and her shoah literature..

cosmocreator
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 01:33 AM
I see nothing Jewish about her. Not in her appearance and not in her music. I did a search on the name:

krall
Origin: German

Spelling variations include: Krol, Krolls, Krols, Croll, Krole and others.

First found in Prussia where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which shaped modern Europe.

Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Christoph Kroll, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1729. Johan Kroll, who came to America in 1850, Josef Kroll, who arrived in New York city in 1893, and Peter Kroll who settled in Philadelphia county, Pennsylvania in 1734.

BTW, I'd classify her as Falish.

Phlegethon
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 01:41 AM
I see nothing Jewish about her. Not in her appearance and not in her music.
Well, jazz is at least Jewish-influenced. Not all Jews look Jewish.

I did a search on the name:

krall
Origin: German
Residents Jews were all given German names centuries ago, so that does not mean anything, actually.

Spelling variations include: Krol, Krolls, Krols, Croll, Krole and others.
Krol and Kroll have been quite common names for Jews. Of course a name alone does not tell much.

First found in Prussia where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which shaped modern Europe.
Prussian tolerance attracted large numbers of Jews and other persecuted minorities like Hugenots.

Johnny Reb
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Krol is a Polish (Slavic) name meaning King. I find it hard to believe that a substantial number of jews have such a regal-sounding name, although stranger things have been known to happen. Cosmo, where did you get the information on the name? A particular etymology website?

cosmocreator
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Cosmo, where did you get the information on the name? A particular etymology website?

http://search.swyrich.com/surnamesearch.asp?Licensee=54323&source=Googlead

Frans_Jozef
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM
http://search.swyrich.com/surnamesearch.asp?Licensee=54323&source=Googlead

Anyway, I dont gonna give up her records, which are ther ight medicine to sooth my nerves....

Phlegethon
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Krol is a Polish (Slavic) name meaning King. I find it hard to believe that a substantial number of jews have such a regal-sounding name, although stranger things have been known to happen.
Remember Walter Koenig (Lt. Chekov in Star Trek)? He is Jewish, too.

Allenson
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 04:36 PM

http://www.dianakrall.com/

My estimation is that she lies somewhere between the Borreby and the Falid...closer to the Falid I would say. She has a longish face but also a bit wide, deep jaw for a woman, straight nose with just a bit of a rounded tip, blonde hair and what appears to be greenish eyes. Also, she seems to have the deposity, external folds above her eyes which to me indicates a more northerly phenotypic origin.

I "jewhooed" her and they do not claim her as one of their own.

Here's a provocative shot :D

cosmocreator
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 09:37 PM
My estimation is that she lies somewhere between the Borreby and the Falid...closer to the Falid I would say.

Yes, I also thought possibly Borreby but settled on Falish. I think her hair has undertones of rufosity.

cosmocreator
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Anyway, I dont gonna give up her records, which are ther ight medicine to sooth my nerves....

You like her music? I wouldn't had guessed you'd like jazz.