PDA

View Full Version : Study Shows Marijuana Increases Brain Cell Growth

Verðandi
Sunday, November 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Supporters of marijuana may finally have an excuse to smoke weed every day. A recent study in the Journal of Clinical Investigation suggests that smoking pot can make the brain grow.

More... (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fanonym.t o%2F%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapinc.org%2Fnor ml%2Fv05%2Fn1728%2Fa04.htm%3F134)

QuietWind
Sunday, November 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM
It's ironic you posted this today, because I had just read this same thing on another website last night! :lol

Here is the site I read it on:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/drugs-alcohol/dn8155

A synthetic chemical similar to the active ingredient in marijuana makes new cells grow in rat brains. What is more, in rats this cell growth appears to be linked with reducing anxiety and depression. The results suggest that marijuana, or its derivatives, could actually be good for the brain.

Weg
Sunday, November 13th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah, no doubt. It does...

http://www.ministryofsound.com.au/cms_files/ministry/images/free/pics_music_artists/snoopdog/snoop_puff.150x150.jpg

Berserkergang
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, no doubt. It does...

http://www.ministryofsound.com.au/cms_files/ministry/images/free/pics_music_artists/snoopdog/snoop_puff.150x150.jpg

Epic LOL

Méldmir
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Then we have the question: Will a bigger brain/brain cells actually make you smarter?

Kogen
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Then we have the question: Will a bigger brain/brain cells actually make you smarter?

I think it depends more on skull shape.

Gardisten
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I really wish I could go into specifics about this one, but I don't want my exact location known (yet). But I have a couple of prime examples of what weed will do do a person by the time they hit middle age. Trust me, short-term "increased brain cell growth" is NOT worth it.

If a person has a legitimate medical problem that can be made more tolerable by smoking weed, so be it; otherwise, there's no justification for using it.

ChaosLord
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009, 04:38 AM
There's a very good and educational documentary about marijuna and its use, pharmacology, prohibition, etc. It's called The Union: The Business Behind Getting High.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007#

rainman
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The video wouldn't play, but I'll tell you this: I've been lied to pretty much since I was a little baby. Definately since I started public school. I've been told things like promiscuity is good, drugs are good (and then the opposite that drugs are bad), I've been told all people are equal and that I"m special even if I don't try and become a great failure in life (but if I do better than others I'm not special), I've been told to trust authority and never defend myself, never take my problems into my own hands (either give it to Jesus the church says or in school give it to authority like teachers, police officers etc.). Eventually you're told to let people walk all over you and abuse you and that you should be a good slave. If someone beats you turn the other cheek, if someone wants to rob you ask them if you should put it in paper or plastic, if someone rapes you, degrades you, destroys you etc. forgive them (after all you only eat yourself up inside by hating them or trying to make them pay- it doesn't change the past). etc. etc.

Every bit of this has turned out to be a lie in my own experience. People who use a lot of drugs are brain dead. You can go find some drug addicts yourself. I have had people tell me that they started experimenting with drugs in the 70s or whatever because TV and all this told them it was cool and then after they did it they noticed a change about them. They couldn't remember things or think as clearly as before.

Rightpath
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
The problem is by using the Drug on a regular basis it can lead to Lethargy and Tollerance meaning you have to smoke more to achieve the same effect. I support it for medical research and use.... Shame the potheads are killing as many brain cells as they manage to grow and shouldn't the Jamaicans be a nation of Geniuses by now?

ChaosLord
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
The problem is by using the Drug on a regular basis it can lead to Lethargy and Tollerance meaning you have to smoke more to achieve the same effect. I support it for medical research and use.... Shame the potheads are killing as many brain cells as they manage to grow and shouldn't the Jamaicans be a nation of Geniuses by now?

That probably depends on the person smoking it. My experiences with it, and even watching friends, hasn't led to much lethargy. Marijuana does have euphoric properties to it, which can contribute to lethargy, but I think the lethargy in people was already there and marijuana was just an excuse to justify it. Also, the only "proof" that marijuana kills braincells is a study done where scientists strapped gas masks to monkeys and fed them continuous marijuana smoke. If you breath continuous smoke (of any kind) with no oxygen then brain cells are going to die, inevitably. Agreed, it can build up tolerance, but doing anything regularly has that effect and eventually the novelty wears off. It's the law of diminished returns.

rainman
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I've been around a lot of drug users, chronic long term users etc. Well really the majority of the nation either drinks or smokes weed regularly from what I see. I can say it effects different people differently. Some who are predisposed to being stupid or lazy will be made a lot worse by it. Some people also have addictive personalities whether it be food, drugs, sex they can't say no. They have no self control. They will eat until they are fat and obsese and their heart clogs up, they'll smoke until their lungs collapse and they'll f*ck until they can't anymore. This probably explains the majoirty of the population. You can look up a simple study about the majority being obese.

Drugs may not kill brain cells, but it does impair cognitive function and this has been backed by studies. Also studies show alcohol shrinks the brain to a very tiny degree. It seems if you get high or drink once in a great while and give your mind and body time to recover and do a small amount it seems to have no harmful effects unless you are in bad health or something, in fact maybe it can be positive in some cases. But every study shows that regular chronic use is bad on your health and your brain. Certain hard drugs like meth are just poison and doing them once is bad.

My thing is that its a slippery slope. Its like if I drink suddenly I loose the ability to say no so I drink more. Next thing I know the room is spinning. Its cool to unwind once in a great while but you have to ask yourself "what is this doing for me" "how does it improve my life". I can get a natural high from exercising or listening to music. Most people don't understand this because they are lazy slobs but you know you can feel good by living your life in the right way. It also feels good to be successful and accomplish something which you don't do by being wasted. I also don't like being really high or drunk because I can't think. Most people don't think when they are sober so it doesn't bother them not being able to spell their name. It's just all that stuff to me is associated with being a failure, being a dumb *ss, being criminal etc. it doesn't seem noble therefore its something to avoid. Think about it: when you are high you act stupid, you make bad choices. And I do think the enemy pushes it on us telling us its cool and good for us because as hitler said

"Our enemies don't want a strong folk standing before them. They want a weak herd that are capable of being subjegated and controlled". That right there explains why they want you to get high.

Rightpath
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
That probably depends on the person smoking it. My experiences with it, and even watching friends, hasn't led to much lethargy. Marijuana does have euphoric properties to it, which can contribute to lethargy, but I think the lethargy in people was already there and marijuana was just an excuse to justify it.

Thankyou for your post addressing the points I made. I should probably point out that I am no stranger to MJ, infact in my youth I was somewhat of A regular user... as I found it helped with relaxation and I could function more effectively after a night of smoking rather than the hungover mess alcohol would leave me in if I went out drinking at the local public house. 2 Pints were never enough ;)

To elaborate on the lethargy, I think it is more of a case that it decreases motivation, which in turn leads to lethargy... I suppose it can be dependant on the individuals consumption. I have known heavy users in the past and it certainly seems to slow them down, perhaps it depends on doseage but I think it certainly has a sedative type effect which can lead to a feeling of Decreased Motivation>Lethargy.

Also, the only "proof" that marijuana kills braincells is a study done where scientists strapped gas masks to monkeys and fed them continuous marijuana smoke. If you breath continuous smoke (of any kind) with no oxygen then brain cells are going to die, inevitably.

Agreed, it was my error posting this.... there is no hard facts to prove it and is probably a myth. Although IMO I find the claims Marijuana Increases Brain Cell Growth to be equaly as dubious.

Agreed, it can build up tolerance, but doing anything regularly has that effect and eventually the novelty wears off. It's the law of diminished returns.

Yes, there are of course different strains... Indica, Sativa producing different effects, switching between can avoid some of these tollerance issues. Although many users are not aware of this and try to get back to the original high by increasing the doseage.

Sorry it was not my intention to go off topic here, but it is always usefull to weigh up the cons when considering pro's like "Marijuana Increases Brain Cell Growth"

frippardthree
Thursday, October 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Although, people have been known to use recreational drugs, such as Marijuana, to cope with depression, some studies suggest that Marijuana can increase depression in the user. This can lead to other mental illnesses over time, especially in teenagers. I do not doubt any of the studies' results, as people that I have known, who smoked pot earlier in life, have grown up to be some of the biggest under achievers & basket cases, that I have ever known.

May 10, 2008 1:01 pm US/Eastern Marijuana Linked To Teen Depression
Jessica Kartalija BALTIMORE (WJZ)

Marijuana, though often considered harmless, may be linked to teen depression.

Marijuana is often considered a "soft drug," one that does no real damage.

Jessica Kartalija reports a new White House report finds a link between teens who smoke pot and depression.

Teens who smoke pot could be getting more than just a quick high.

The newly released report says a teen who has been depressed at some point over the past year is twice as likely to have used marijuana.

"Understand that young people are looking for solutions. They are trying to regulate, they are trying to feel better. The solution that our culture offers kids becomes the problem here," said Dr. Drew Pinsky.

Mental health doctors have found smoking marijuana can lead to more serious problems down the road.

"We find that prior to them using, they don't have any sort of mental health issues or physical problems. Then they stop using and we find a whole slew of problems that are created," said Kourtney Knight.

Using marijuana has been found to increase the risk of developing mental disorders by as much as 40 percent.

"Mentally, we can see the difference in someone's brain chemistry after long term use of marijuana or even short time. It depends on the individual," said Knight.

Full Article:http://wjz.com/local/marijuana.teen.depression.2.720566.html

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/33/2008/05/09/175x131/potsmoke.jpg

Teen Depression Worsened by Marijuana, Government Says
By Sarah Baldauf
Posted May 9, 2008
Corrected on 5/9/08: An earlier version of this story misspelled the name of Bruce Mirken.

Today the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy sent out a clear message on teen pot use and depression: They're a bad combination. Issuing a report that analyzes around a dozen studies about marijuana use and mental health, the policy office warned that teens who use marijuana to "self-medicate" may worsen their underlying depression or other mental health issues. The intention of the report, says John Walters, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, is to "try to correct two misunderstandings: That teen depression is not a problem and that teen marijuana use is not a problem—marijuana use is not safe." He advises parents to talk to their kids' pediatrician if they see signs of depression and suspect drug use.

The report, entitled "Teen Marijuana Use Worsens Depression: An Analysis of Recent Data Shows 'Self-Medicating' Could Actually Make Thing Worse," cites statistics to support its warning message, but experts are quick to note that it should be interpreted with caution. For example, the report's statement, "One 16-year study showed that individuals who were not depressed and then used marijuana were four times more likely to be depressed at follow-up," suggests marijuana might cause depression. That data from a 2001 study in the American Journal of Psychiatry was only statistically meaningful after the researchers adjusted for variables including age, gender, and antisocial symptoms, suggesting a weaker relationship between depression and marijuana before adjustments were made.The study also showed that those who were not depressed when first surveyed and then used opioids were 228 times more likely to be depressed at follow-up—without any adjustments. That statistic was not mentioned in the Drug Control Policy's report today. "Adolescent marijuana use may be a factor that triggers psychosis, depression, and other mental illness," says Walters, acknowledging that "research about causality is still ongoing."

Full Article:http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/brain-and-behavior/2008/05/09/teen-depression-worsened-by-marijuana-government-says.html

http://www.usnews.com/pubdbimages/image/3544/VD_PR_depression.jpg

rainman
Thursday, October 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
From being around people who used a lot of drugs in their life I can say often times they behave irratioanlly which is very similar to having a mental illness. The original legislation passed against marijuana in the 1930s stated something to the effect that prolonged use causes mental illness. Of course this takes years of use before it finally starts to become noticeable.

I think the drug culture of the 60s and 70s is partly why my family (well and community) is so screwed up. The thing is the drug use doesn't only affect you but also harms your family and community. Therefore it isn't responsible.

ChaosLord
Saturday, October 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
A general rule of thumb is that taking any psychotropic substance has a possibility of exacerbating or triggering psychological conditions. It all comes down to how a person is able to metabolize the substance and how their brains are hard-wired. If someone is depressed prior to or generally mentally/emotionally unstable to begin with then they are more than likely going to have that emotion amplified from the effects of the drug(s). Doing a drug-depression study on a teen is a pretty inconclusive study in my opinion. Reason I say this is because teens are already a mess of hormones and emotions already. Adding drugs of any kind will only disrupt this cycle of hormonal and emotional development and maturity. Which is why I support that substances like marijuana should only be used by adults, much like alcohol. But unlike THC, alcohol is technically a poison, which is why the body has to use 8 ounces of water in order to metabolize 1 ounce of alcohol.

rainman
Saturday, October 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Alcohol is a poison but most whites can metabolize it into energy. Small amounts thus have nutritional qualities. A glass of wine with a meal is nothing to worry about. Your body can digest it before it does any real damage. Getting "drunk" or chronic (regular) drinking is a problem. With some non-white groups their body in unable to metabolize the alcohol. This means a small amount can get them wasted and do a lot of damage they also are more prone to alcoholism. A prime example are Native Americans.

THC on the other hand is not metabolized but rather removed from the body like a toxin. You brought up a good point though: usually people who smoke weed at a young age stop maturing mentally. If they started smoking at 13 they will have many mental characteristics of a 13 year old even at age 30. If they started at 15 they will be trapped roughly in a 15 year old mentallility. They might mature a little but there's an obvious lack of it happening. I've observed this in people. Again smoking one joint a 13 not what I'm talking about- I'm talking about regular use of it starting at that age. Even when you stop using it the effects are irreversable.