PDA

View Full Version : Negative Reputation Abuse

Aeternitas
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
It has been reported lately that there have been negative reputation "wars" on Skadi. One user has been banned for antigermanic harassment via rep. points. It is not the first time this happens. The fact that one can use this system does not mean one should abuse it. If you abuse the negative reputation system and refuse to cease, you can eventually be barred from its further usage. It does not matter what your political orientation is and what the political orientation of the one you came in conflict with is.
Should you encounter problems with members concerning this abuse, especially if the negative reputation points are accompanied by insults, personal attacks and threats, you can report them to a moderator and your situation will be taken care of.

P.S: as a result, one may ask oneself, when and how should one use the reputation system then? The answer is within the limits of moderation and decency. If you find a post unacceptable in which regards the forum rules, reporting it as a bad post can be a solution instead. Have in mind the fact that negative reputation points can be the cause of conflicts. Please try to avoid them.

Jibby
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Aeternitas,

This is not at all surprising, but I will keep this in mind, when I become enraged over another's idiocy. ;)

Haven't used a negative reputation point, as of yet... hopefully I never will have to! :thumbup

Agrippa
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I used the negative reputation just one or two times (in all fora I use), in cases where the person was simply unfair, provocative but it was not really a breach of the rules.
So in general I think negative reputation points are mostly redundant - but generally I think that actions against the abuse should be enough. I mean we hadnt serious problems with that for - how long? At least I cant remember it. That will simply die off if we act against it with consequence for a short time me thinks.

Horagalles
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 09:06 PM
It is not surprising having in matter the fact that not everyone here shares the same political/religious/whatever orientation. ...Naturally there will be conflicts, but there are other ways to solve them than give people 7 or 12 negative reputation points in a row.Of course but at least they should subscribe broadly to the principle of:
Germanic cultural and spiritual preservation
Those who don't got no right to post here.
I made a suggestion to solve that problem, too. Assigning posting rights to everyone for an Open Forum (with several sections). And only full posting rights to those that subscribe to the principle I mentioned. There are a few people here who don't do so and they are trolling:thumbdown otherwise useful threads with provocations and boring repetitions of flawed arguments. Now I think giving them lots of negative reputation is just fine :thumbup
I got a feeling it was those Trolls and Antis, that were complaining about the negative reputation they got deservingly.

QuietWind
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I got a filling it was those Trolls and Antis, that were compalaining about the negative reputation they got deservingly.

Actually, to my knowledge, none of those who complained of others abusing the negative rep were trolls or anti's. So, no, it was not trolls or anti's complaining about getting what they "deserved."

Cole Nidray
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I think that only people that are reputation freaks truly deserve negative rep.

"Oooh geeez my reputation at forums.skadi.net is low.. now I won't be the next führer. :~("

For the record when I give negative rep I sometimes look through the person's record for good posts to rep. :thumbup

So if I give you negative rep without a positive later it means I REALLY don't like you. :D

JunelleQ
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I think that only people that are reputation freaks truly deserve negative rep.

"Oooh geeez my reputation at forums.skadi.net is low.. now I won't be the next führer. :~("

For the record when I give negative rep I sometimes look through the person's record for good posts to rep. :thumbup

So if I give you negative rep without a positive later it means I REALLY don't like you. :D
Thanks, good to know this info....What have i ever done to you?

JunelleQ
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Thanks.... good to know....since I just posted my opinion to an article, that had nothing to do you.....

Cole Nidray
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks, good to know this info....What have i ever done to you?

Thanks.... good to know....since I just posted my opinion to an article, that had nothing to do you.....
:scratch

Excuse me?

I never gave you negative rep, I never even saw you before.

I see that someone has given you negative rep though. :sad

Horagalles
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 07:02 PM
ANTIS are those that do not share the SKADI Motto as a base.
TROLLS are those that try to derail debates in threads, by whatever means. Usually it is by allogical lines of "arguments" such as statements that are not falsifiable, insinuations, polarisations or even personal attacks. They also may make use of other tactics.
It is perfectly possible that people not falling in any of those categories complained. However it is the personal choice of a user to (dis)approve with a posting made by any other user. I usually give only positive reputation, unless someone is trolling. Till now I only can recall Shiloh and Wodan77 getting negative reputation from me. They are both ANTIS and they like to troll.

My suggestion was to limit such posters to a section with open forums not allowing them to derail other threads, which they sometimes manage to do.

Drömmarnas Stig
Friday, November 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I don't remember giving negative reputations thus far.
Occasionally I receive one myself which is what this system is for.
I have no problem with that.
The reputation indicator in a mature discussion board should give members a general idea about the specific person.
The only forum in which this system kind of works from my experience is Skadi.

For instance I once wrote a topic about the American Civil War for which I received 8 or 9 positive reputations and 2 negative ones.
One of which was actually kind of funny (something like: "you are a sick man") :D .

Anyways, I like the reputation system (if it's used properly by the vast majority of the members) because it makes you think twice before writing.
If you are respected in the forum, you don't want to lose your positive image by making unthoughtful remarks.

However (as anywhere) there are of course some immature trolls who try to spoil the system. I just doubt they will have any influence on the general Skadi niveau.

signofthehammer
Tuesday, January 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
just out of curiosity, how does one actually give negative reputation?

Aeternitas
Tuesday, January 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Update: This feature has been restricted to Staff and Funding Members.