PDA

View Full Version : Sverige

Vojvoda
Tuesday, September 2nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
Here is an interesting website about the origins of Swedes.What do others think?

http://www.osterholm.info/swedes.html

Allenson
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2003, 08:54 PM
Here is an interesting website about the origins of Swedes.What do others think?

Personally, I've always been a little skeptical of those who claim Troy as the origins for such folk as Anglo-Saxons and in this case, the Swedes.

I shall read on though!

Deling
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Interesting reading about my home countries. But Swedes originate from several tribes and people; one of them being Trojan ancestors is not surprising.

"Bet Kindchen bet, morgen kommt der Schwed".

Låter mycket bra i mina öron.

Gladstone
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2003, 11:09 PM
Personally, I've always been a little skeptical of those who claim Troy as the origins for such folk as Anglo-Saxons and in this case, the Swedes.

I shall read on though!

Yeah. You got some of the English and other Europeon groups claiming to be from the Lost Tribes of Israel and then you have elements of the Swedes claiming to be from Troy. It does seem there has been an effort to glamorize the ancestry.

It's understandeable to some extent if that is what occurred. Who wants to tell a child when he asks the people's origon "Son, we do not know where the hell we came from"? ;)

Gladstone

Tryggvi
Thursday, September 4th, 2003, 11:31 PM

'The locals named these Trojan conquerors the "Iron people", or the Aes. The Aes (also Aesar, Aesir, Æsir or Asir) built their famous fortified city Aesgard or Asgard, also described as "Troy in the north." Various other sources collaborate this, saying the Trojans landed on the eastern shores with their superior weaponry, and claimed land. The area became known as Asaland (Land of the Aesir) or Asaheim (Home of the Aes).'

That's a sweet theory nonetheless. :)

+Suomut+
Thursday, September 11th, 2003, 05:42 AM
My biggest gripe with this site is that it's unscholarly...there's little to no citing done; and with a topic like this one would expect an author to AT LEAST cite a few sources! E.g., I'd like to know where the author got this one:

"Later, the Arabic diplomat Ibn Fadlan, while visiting Bulgar (Bulgaria) during the summer of 922, saw the Swedish Vikings (Rus) arrive, and he wrote: "Never before have I seen people of more perfect physique; they were tall like palm trees, blonde, with a few of them red. They do not wear any jackets or kaftaner (robes), the men instead wear dress which covers one side of the body but leaves one hand free. Every one of them brings with him an axe, a sword and a knife."

So, the author leaves it up to poor ole' Suomut to go look this up for himself! THANKS ALOT! author...for providing me with a HINT! anyway! LOL ;-)

In spite of this, I like the site, it's good.

Follow the RED! hair, folks; follow the RED! hair! LOL ;-)))