PDA

View Full Version : The Origins of Germanic Heathenry

signofthehammer
Thursday, October 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Many often go on about the various indo-european sub-races, etc. However one has to believe that this is not of that much importance. Take into account the fact that, from the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and Frisians - to the Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Geats - to the various tribes in the heart of what is now Germany - and all the rest - all have, effectively, the same religion.

Peoples who didn't come into contact with one another till the early middle ages had had the same gods, all be it with variant names, for a thousand years at least. There is even an ancient Slavic god with a red beard and a hammer, not to mention others with more than an uncanny resemblence to the germanic panthenon. One has to believe that, unless there was some ancient missionary effort that no one knows about, the various indo-european ethnicities and sub-races are much, much closer than many would like to believe. This, I believe, means that germanic heathenry couldn't have been an 'adopted' religion like christianity and is clearly as old as germanic peoples themselves. So the question I pose the forum is thus: Where do you think it came from? Can we ever know?

Siegfried
Thursday, October 20th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I've come to believe Germanic heathendom was and is a blend of Indo-European en paleo-European spirituality and folklore, and I would indeed place its birth at the time of the Germanic ethnogenesis. The Aesir are probably Indo-European in origin, the Vanir paleo-European. Similarities between Germanic heathenry and other forms of pre-Christian European religion are due to the fact that they draw from similar ancient sources.

Š■eling
Friday, October 21st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Well it seems self-evident that Heathenism was not adopted, but it is also obvious that it is not isolated. To varying degrees the peoples of Europe and India are Indo-European in origin, bar a few exceptions. The Germanic people, at root, have a faith similiar to the Celts, Slavs, Italics, Greeks, and Indians. As a Heathen myself I take this as being that our gods were among us at a time when our common ancestors resided in what is now the Ukraine. When our folk started to migrate elsewhere our common beliefs changed from the common practise as we became more isolated from each other. But at heart they were still the same.

Deling
Monday, November 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Much of what's called "paganism" obviously came eastward-->west. Some Culture-Historians, such as Hartwig Fritsch (1927) claimed that the pagan mythology reached Scandinavia through swedish Goths who wandered to contemporary Ukraine (Don) around 2200 years ago, and that they returned to Scandinavia with 'Odin' (actually 'odin' means 'one' in Russian), and perhaps even Runes. Thor Heyerdahl (introduction unnecessary) claims the same thing today (he also claims Odin was an Asovian warrior-king who migrated north), and more-or-less fantastic ideas of this kind has existed since the 17th century (in Sweden).
Atleast I think there's a very probable connection between pre-Christian Russian faiths and West European paganism, even if it's hard to prove since documentation from pre-Christian Russia is very limited.
But Germanic paganism is also rather limited knowledge: it was eradicated early by Charlemagne, while Scandinavian/Lithuanian and Russian paganism survived into the second millenia. Much of modern German-British-American conceptions of paganism is obviously direct-imported from skandinavian 'asatro', which astonishingly has survived until today.

So I have a question I hope someone can answer:
-How many Rune inscriptions have been found in Germany and Britain?