PDA

View Full Version : Is Jig Music peculiar to Ireland and Scotland or is it common to other Celtic countries?

Milesian
Friday, August 29th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Everyone knows what an Irish jig sounds like and most people would be able to identify a traditional reel or jig as "Irish".
Scottish traditional music is very similar (though it doesn't get quite as lively as some of the Irish jigs), this isn't suprising considering the common heritage of the two peoples.

However, is this music peculiar to Ireland and Scotland or is it common to other Celtic countries?
The music would be characterised by use of the pentatonic scale among other things.
I have heard Galician traditional music and it sounds very similar if not identical to Irish traditional music.
These three lands (Ireland, Scotland and Galicia) all share a common Goidelic/Gaelic past.
But I wondered if this was an overall Celtic type of music or restricted to the Goidelic culture.

I have never heard traditional Welsh music, perhaps that would give a clue as to whether the Brythonic Celts shared this with their Gaelic brethren. Also, does anyone know of traditional European music which sounds similar?

Scthach
Friday, August 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Providenje tells me that trad Serbian music can be quite similar :) He'll be the man to ask, i suspect.

Milesian
Friday, August 29th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Providenje tells me that trad Serbian music can be quite similar :) He'll be the man to ask, i suspect.

I've heard two songs he sent me, actually ;)
While the instrument used was a form of bagpipe (which providenje said was likely brought to Serbia by the ancient Scordician Celts), the tune itself sounded decidedly un-Celtic, I'm afraid.

xa
Saturday, October 4th, 2003, 08:20 AM
I like Whipping Boy. Are they still around?

xa
Tuesday, October 7th, 2003, 07:11 AM
I know; theyre not traditional Celtic.

:)