PDA

View Full Version : Ethnicity in Australia & New Zealand

Ĉmeric
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 03:58 AM
I was wondering if someone could give me an good estimate of the minority population of Australia & New Zealand? I was in Western Australia 20 years ago, at the time the population was mostly white and Anglo-Celtic. At the time I thought that was one of the nicer things about the country. The results I've gotten from the internet give Australia's population as 92 caucasian, 7% asian, 1% aboringinal. Dose caucasian include middle-easterners? And what New Zealand? Their ethnic percentages round up to over 100%. Government statistics can be misleading, so I was wondering if someone who actually lives in New Zealand could give me an estimate of the country's ethnic mix.

Rhydderch
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
It would be difficult to provide an estimate, although I think the 92 percent figure for Caucasian would be right; but how many foreigners are permanent arrivals I'm not sure.
Caucasian generally includes Middle Easterners but perhaps they are using it there in the sense of European, because I think the figure is something like that; there aren't all that many Middle Eastern immigrants here though, relatively speaking.

I'm not sure about Australia as a whole, and it would be different in the cities, but I think my area would be at least 95% Anglo-Celtic in origin.

Jack
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if someone could give me an good estimate of the minority population of Australia & New Zealand? I was in Western Australia 20 years ago, at the time the population was mostly white and Anglo-Celtic. At the time I thought that was one of the nicer things about the country. The results I've gotten from the internet give Australia's population as 92 caucasian, 7% asian, 1% aboringinal. Dose caucasian include middle-easterners? And what New Zealand? Their ethnic percentages round up to over 100%. Government statistics can be misleading, so I was wondering if someone who actually lives in New Zealand could give me an estimate of the country's ethnic mix.

I would guess New Zealand to be about 85% white (perhaps/probably more), and Australia to be roughly 85% Anglo-Celt, with the rest of 'caucasian' being other Europeans. I think Turks and Lebanese are classified as Asians, but I could be wrong.

Furius
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
The Asian-ethnic percentage of the population in Australia must be around at least 10-15% or more.

[see my post in http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=202]

In reply to Anarch's question: Turks, Lebanese & other West Asians used to be included in the Asian numbers until the Dept of Ethnic Affairs (followed by the Dept of Immigration) [nowadays both Dept.s have been combined] changed their classification from "West Asia" to "Middle East" - and in one flick of a pen (or one flick of a computer key) the immigration figures from Asia dropped way down.

"Whew! No threat from Asia now" thinks the sheeple.

Nor do the immigration statistics include the massive rate of illegal immigration coming in via short-term visas, as well as via illegal immigration into the North.

The most important question is:
What percentage do Whites make up of the 16-30 year old women in Australia?
Therein lies the demographic disaster!

Karl_Stade
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 06:47 AM
The results I've gotten from the internet give Australia's population as 92 caucasian, 7% asian, 1% aboringinal. Dose caucasian include middle-easterners?

Sounds about right, and yes Arabs etc.. are all considered Caucasian when considering statistics.

Vike
Monday, November 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I'm a New Zealander and I doubt there would be 85 % or more of the population being white as straight off the bat 14 % of the population are Maori. (And they're expanding)

* Then there are the pacific islanders/polynesians on top of that of which some are more numerous here than in their own countries (Nuieans[3/4 live here] & Samoans for example).

* Then there are the asians of which in the cities there are just... shitloads. (Some stay here, some leave after studying. In Auckland, some of the signs are now written in asian scripts)

* Then all the other groups together: indians, pakistanis, middle easterners etc.

* We do have some European migrants/immigrants(whatever)..., but it ain't worth mentioning.

The caucasian/white percentage of the population must be significantly lower than 85 %. Maybe 70-75.

I could be wrong about some of what I've said but I believe I'm relatively correct. Some of it I pick up from governmental info from time to time.

Just found this site: don't know how old it is.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/nzealand/population.html

It states Europeans @ 73 %.

Rune Caster
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM
In terms of the racial make-up of Australia's population, I'm not sure that you couldn't say that 50-60% of the white population (excluding Southern Europeans) is Anglo-Saxon given the large numbers of Dutch that came to Australia in the 50's on top of the Germans (largest non-British source of immigration before the end of the white Australia policy). It would be interesting to get some idea of what the racial composition is.

In terms of the ethinic break up in cities in Australia, I can conclusively say (bet this doesn't surprise anyone) that Sydney is probably ony 40-50% European. There are, however, certain pockets in Sydney's suburbs that are overwhelmingly still Anglo--but that is changing quickly.

Vike,

Do you happen to know what the rate of inter-breeding is between Maori and white NZs? From my own observation alone, there seems to be alot of NZ's who have recent admixture. I also ask because the Maori men (AKA "Rock Apes") in Australia (of which there are far too many) seem to have a thing for white women.