PDA

View Full Version : Expanded forum for Germanic Spirituality

:hveđrungur:
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I was wondering if the Staff would ever expand and make a bettter section on Skadi for the Germanic / Norse Heathenism and Spirituality? Ive noticed the banner says "Germanic cultural, racial and spiritual preservation" and no offence but I hardly see one dinky little subforum of a subforum as enough for the discussion of the old germanic ways. Why not give it its own catagory with subforums for discussion on the runes, the lore (poetic, prose eddas among other writings) blots and ritual talk and subforums for the various ethnic expressions like Asatru, Irminism/Germanic Heathenry, Anglo Saxon Heathenism. This is just a thought of course but I just dont believe the people who follow the true Germanic folkway have enough here on Skadi. I know I am all for Germanic preservation, I am a traditionalist and I believe a big part of true pre christian germanic culture was largely influenced by their spiritual beliefs, hel back then they wernt spiritual beliefs, they were life.

I mean Wicca has a forum here and that is some mish mash eclectic "pagan path" created from taking different parts from different cultures and spiritual paths. It isnt Germanic at all or traditional in ANY way, its a modern path created by homosexuals and hippies. It really has nothing to do with Germanic culture by any means unless you count them stealing various practices from the old germanic folkways.

Siegmund
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I was wondering if the Staff would ever expand and make a bettter section on Skadi for the Germanic / Norse Heathenism and Spirituality? Ive noticed the banner says "Germanic cultural, racial and spiritual preservation" and no offence but I hardly see one dinky little subforum of a subforum as enough for the discussion of the old germanic ways. Why not give it its own catagory with subforums for discussion on the runes, the lore (poetic, prose eddas among other writings) blots and ritual talk and subforums for the various ethnic expressions like Asatru, Irminism/Germanic Heathenry, Anglo Saxon Heathenism. This is just a thought of course but I just dont believe the people who follow the true Germanic folkway have enough here on Skadi. I know I am all for Germanic preservation, I am a traditionalist and I believe a big part of true pre christian germanic culture was largely influenced by their spiritual beliefs, hel back then they wernt spiritual beliefs, they were life.
While I can't speak for the administrator or the other moderators, I agree it would be a good idea. See below.

I mean Wicca has a forum here and that is some mish mash eclectic "pagan path" created from taking different parts from different cultures and spiritual paths. It isnt Germanic at all or traditional in ANY way, its a modern path created by homosexuals and hippies. It really has nothing to do with Germanic culture by any means unless you count them stealing various practices from the old germanic folkways.
Point very well taken about Wicca, though you left out feminists as one of the main birthmothers ("progenitors" just doesn't sound right here :P) of this movement.

If it were up to me, I'd create a new subforum under Religion and Spirituality called "New Age," where I'd shovel not only Wicca but The Left-Hand Path, Cosmotheism and Creativity. Then I'd work with you and others to identify and create the appropriate subfora under Germanic Heathenry.

If for whatever reason we can't have nested subfora, then we could perhaps move both Aryavarta and Germanic Heathenry directly under Religion and Spirituality, and then proceed as above.

I'll take your suggestion to the other moderators.

Siegmund
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Please read my post (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=323891&postcount=2) in the Help section, responding to a suggestion from one of our more serious and intelligent members, Hveđrungur.

What do you think?

If you feel it's a good idea, I would volunteer to do the work of creating the new structure and moving the threads, assuming one doesn't have to be an admin to change the forum structure. If so, I could still move the threads.

QuietWind
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 05:09 AM
I think it is a good idea to exapnd it if there are enough posts to support such an expansion and enough posters who are willing to contribute to it. It seems pointless if the expanded and new areas are going to sit vacant with only a post or two. Otherwise, it would seem more appropriate to keep them together under Germanic Heathenry as they are now.

P.S. I'm still wanting/waiting for a motherhood section. ;) http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=34818

:D Just thought I'd throw in my two cents since we are discussing new areas.

(BTW, how many posts would constitute a decent number to consider establishing a new area? Let me know, and I'll go count the posts on Breastfeeding, childbirth, homeschooling, etc. :P I only get pregnant once every 4 1/2 years, so you have to take advantage of my "nesting" while I am still "with child." :lol)

Siegmund
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I think it is a good idea to exapnd it if there are enough posts to support such an expansion and enough posters who are willing to contribute to it. It seems pointless if the expanded and new areas are going to sit vacant with only a post or two. Otherwise, it would seem more appropriate to keep them together under Germanic Heathenry as they are now.
That was my thought as well. So I went and looked: 173 themes and 1371 posts in Germanic Heathenry, along with some others currently located in Indo-Germanic Spirituality that could be moved. Borderline, but given that we've gotten several strong heathenish members recently, that number should grow.

I'm still wanting/waiting for a motherhood section. ;) http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=34818
I'd support that as well. In fact I just saw a thread on home childbirths that would have fit nicely in a motherhood section. The description you gave in your original post looks great.

Aeternitas
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Yeah, only admins can create new (sub)forums but Thorburn had told me not to add new forums because they need to be excluded from the "new German posts" search, entered into hacks, etc.

I think it is a good idea to exapnd it if there are enough posts to support such an expansion and enough posters who are willing to contribute to it. It seems pointless if the expanded and new areas are going to sit vacant with only a post or two. Otherwise, it would seem more appropriate to keep them together under Germanic Heathenry as they are now. I agree.

P.S. I'm still wanting/waiting for a motherhood section. ;) http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=34818 (http://showthread.php?t=34818) Agreed as well :)

Siegmund
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Okay, I'll let him know we'd like to wait for the forum to grow a bit more. Thanks to you both for the speedy response!

P.S. Still would love a motherhood forum, though. :)

Siegmund
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I'll take your suggestion to the other moderators.
The general feeling is that we should wait and see if the section continues to grow. I didn't realize it was so much work to rearrange and move things around, and we probably would not want to do that at current levels.

Perhaps later then. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 07:00 AM
No problem, I just thought I would suggest it. I mean the Germanic Heathenry forum is a subforum of a subforum and it is the cultural and ancient way of Germanic folk. Christianity is one subforum under Religions And Spirituality while Germanic Heathenry is a subforum of Indo-Germanic Spirituality. I just thought the tru ways of our ancestors should be recognized a little more on Skadi, Christianity is a semite spawned path, Islam and Buddhism arnt Germanic folkways yet they get more recognition and are at least visable subforums. I just dont think that is right but like I said, it was a suggestion.

To ignore the old germanic ways is to ignore what made our ancestors who they were. Look at the modern days of the week:

Sunday - Sunsday or Sunnasdag, The day of the Sun
Monday - Moonsday or Moonsdag, The day of the Moon
Tuesday - Tyrsday or Tyrsdag, The day of Tyr (Thorburn)
Wednesdag - Wodansdag or Wodanesdag, The day of Woden (Odin)
Thursday - Thorburnsday or Thorburnsdag, The day of Thorburn
Friday - Friggsday or Friggsdag, The day of Frigg (Frigga) the Almother, Odins wife
Saturday was named after a southern european god as the ancient Germanics and Scandinavians didn't have a name for that day of the week, it was known as the day of bathing.

Aeternitas
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Well, if you come up with a definite list of what subforums you need, post it here and see what the general opinion is :)

Creating a subforum is easy but since there's additional stuff to be done which we probably can't do, I guess you have to ask Thorburn. I mean, that's what I'd do (not cause it's a dictatorship, but cause it's a funtionality issue I guess :P)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I have asked for a Black Sun section within this overall topic in the past. Maybe individuals could post here in either English or German if they were uncomfortable in one or the other since many people read but are reluctant to post in an another language. The emergence of aether physics combined with the realization that the Schwarze Sonne could be a black hole combined with the rediscovery of the old references to these words along with popularity of the symbol itself is a powerful synergy. We could get ahead of the curve, here, and be the first forum to offer a thread on this subject?

Thorburn
Friday, October 14th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Please read my post (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=323891&postcount=2) in the Help section, responding to a suggestion from one of our more serious and intelligent members, Hveđrungur.

What do you think?

If you feel it's a good idea, I would volunteer to do the work of creating the new structure and moving the threads, assuming one doesn't have to be an admin to change the forum structure. If so, I could still move the threads. Sure, go for it. :)

Aeternitas
Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 12:36 AM
P.S. Still would love a motherhood forum, though. :)
Here it is:
http://forum.forums.skadi.netdisplay.php?f=554

So if you guys want to start moving threads, be my guests :P

We can make the heathen subforums now too, but we need names & descriptions. Perhaps Hveđrungur will suggest some.

Aeternitas
Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 12:38 AM
We can expand the heathenry section for those who are interested, what ideas do you have for subforums?

Wjatscheslaw
Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Dr. Solar Wolff

I have asked for a Black Sun section within this overall topic in the past. Maybe individuals could post here in either English or German
Black Sun section will be great idea! I vote "YES", and hope moderators hear it..

Leofric
Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
We can expand the heathenry section for those who are interested, what ideas do you have for subforums?

I agree completely what Hveđrungur suggested:

Why not give it its own catagory with subforums for discussion on the runes, the lore (poetic, prose eddas among other writings) blots and ritual talk and subforums for the various ethnic expressions like Asatru, Irminism/Germanic Heathenry, Anglo Saxon Heathenism.

I would also enjoy seeing a subforum on the modern state of Germanic heathenry for discussing such issues as contemporary heathen literature, current demographics, the nature of the modern heathen community, legal issues and current affairs related to the modern practice of our religion, and so forth. I don't know whether heathens themselves would find a subforum like this useful, or just folks like me who want to understand heathenry better, but if others would like this, then it could be good.

Thank you for considering expanding the heathenry forum. I too think we need a better balance among the three Skadi aims (if I remember right, religion is currently in the culture section — that's another example of being out of balance). I do think though that we should retain a forum somewhere in the hierarchy for discussing Indo-Germanic spirituality, since I think much can be learned about our own folk religion by observing the folk religions of our cousins. Maybe it could become a subforum of a new Germanic Heathenry section?

Leofric
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 07:15 AM
The general feeling is that we should wait and see if the section continues to grow. I didn't realize it was so much work to rearrange and move things around, and we probably would not want to do that at current levels.

I am assuming that this is still the general feeling among the moderators. Personally, I think that rearranging and expanding the Germanic Heathenry subforum could be a good way to encourage its growth — as heathens see areas where information that could easily be given is lacking, they will, in my opinion, fill in these gaps and greatly boost the forum's quality. But then, I don't really know how much work it would be to rearrange the whole thing, and it really might not be worth it if it's too much work.

Nevertheless, if the following is actually what's true —

— then I want to improve on my previous post by making my suggestions a bit more concrete, since I think that might be more helpful.

If someone were to put a gun to my head and tell me I had to expand the Germanic Heathenry forum or else, I would do the following:

First, I would raise Germanic Heathenry from being a subforum of Indo-Germanic spirituality to being a subforum of Religion.

Second, I would create the following subfora for the new Germanic Heathenry forum:

Heathenry 101 - a place where those new to heathenry can learn about it
Lore - a place to discuss the eddas, the sagas, the skaldic poetry, and so forth
Rituals & Ceremonies - a place to discuss nonmagical rituals, ceremonies, celebrations, holidays, and so forth
Runes & Magic - a place to discuss runes and magical practices, with possibly a subforum just for runes (please no one
be offended by use of the term magic - anthropologists use it, and I don't know a better word)
History - a place to discuss archaeological and anthropological findings on pre-Christian heathenry
Theology - place to talk about gods & goddesses, wights, beliefs, and so forth, without immediate basis in the lore or
in history
Living Heathenry - a place to discuss contemporary heathenry, life as a heathen, and so forth
Ethnic Expressions - a place for discussing more finely ethnically divided heathen systems (such as Anglo-Saxon
heathenry)
Heathenry and Other Religions - a place to discuss interaction and intertextuality between heathenry and other faithsThird, I would rearrange the threads that are currently in the Germanic Heathenry forum into these subfora as follows:

Heathenry 101
41880, 40304, 41031, 14886, 27924,
17918, 8194, 6107, 6192, 1037

History
38500, 38499, 42036, 35702, 37158,
35668, 35667, 35293, 30080, 28359,
15940, 11758, 9318, 4003

Runes and Magic
36743, 17864, 41976, 40882, 36742,
36741, 36740, 36739, 36679, 36674,
36001, 35956, 35951, 35950, 35949,
35563, 35562, 35561, 35560, 28053,
18121, 13947, 11155, 8871, 4978

Lore
13332, 41234, 42012, 32427, 27859,
15473, 6243, 3563, 3447, 620

Rituals
42013, 41786, 35934, 35558, 35557,
32940, 10681, 12449, 6712, 11111 (last
two posts), 8575, 6838, 6713

Theology
42108, 42035, 41879, 41878, 41788,
40891, 39607, 37229, 36930, 25866,
18077, 15184, 4784, 11161, 6806,
11111 (first two posts), 9463, 1044

Ethnic Expressions
42011 (A-S), 41787 (A-S), 38721 (A-S), 24970 (A-S),
6005 (A-S), 6690 (Langobardic Odinism), 2999 (A-S),
1839 (Visigothic heathenism)

Living Heathenry
42037, 42014, 42010, 34553 (note that 9506 and 2924 are also the same), 41524, 16662, 39809, 31589, 38317, 1591, 31675, 31643, 28889, 27967, 21189, 5270, 9803, 6717, 6261, 7505, 5059, 6534, 6242, 6851, 6592, 4351

Germanic Heathenry and Other Religions
41549, 2925, 30357, 158, 27867,
24904, 18120, 15256, 9898, 9771,
6214, 6210, 6949, 6556, 6316,
5990, 5930, 5269, 2871, 2877

Fourth, I would stick most of the older threads in the GH forum that go back to the AD days, as well as all the threads directly placed in the Indo-Germanic Spirituality forum, into the Germanic Heathenry and Other Religions subforum — some would just get moved to other places all together, though.

Fifth, I would take the Wicca forum and the Aryavarta forum and make them subfora of the Germanic Heathenry and Other Religions subforum. I might also consider making a Christianity subforum of this subforum.

All that being said however, I think it might be good to follow Dr. Solar Wolff's suggestion and add a Black Sun subforum in there somewhere. A subforum on Odalism might also be useful. In the above classification, I have placed all such topics in the Living Heathenry subforum, but I'm not certain that's the best way to do it.

I don't want to offend any of the moderators by posting this — you're all doing a great job as it is. I only thought that if you are considering expanding the Heathenry forum, as the Mädchen hinted you might, this post might help lighten your load. And of course if anyone has better ideas about any part of my proposal, I won't be offended if they're brought forward.

If you have no intention of expanding the Heathenry forum, then consider my mouth shut on the topic after this post.

-Leofric

Friday, November 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Well how you set it up all depends on how you want it. There are many expressions of the old ways, Asatru to the Scandinavians, Irminenschaft to Germans, the Anglo Saxons had Anglo Saxon Heathenry. But this is how id do it:

Forum: Heathenism
Subforums: General Discussion, Q&A (For those new to the old ways to ask some of the longer practicing heathens questions), Blots and Sumbles, Asgard (Discussion of the Gods and Goddesses), The Hearth (Heathen parenting, cooking, mead brewing, children raising), Other Lists/Reccomended Websites

Forum: The Runes - General discussion on Runes
Subforums: The Elder Futhark, The Armanen Runes, The Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, The Younger Futhark

Forum: Heathen Literature - General talk of good books and publications on the old ways
Subforums: The Poetic Edda, The Prose Edda, The Saga's of Icelanders.

If you wanted to get specific about things you could do it this way:

Forum: The Old ways
Subforums: Q&A (For those new to the old ways to ask some of the longer practicing heathens questions), Ásatrú (The Scandinavian Expression of the old ways), Germanic Heathenry (The more German/Dutch expression of the old germanic folkway), Anglo Saxon Heathenism (The Anglo Saxon expression of Heathenry), Other offshoots (This would be for "Black Sun" and all of those other various psuedo offshots of heathenism)

Subforums: General Discussion, Blots and Sumbles, Asgard (Discussion of the Gods and Goddesses), The Hearth (Heathen parenting, cooking, mead brewing, children raising), Other Lists/Reccomended Websites

Subforums: The Elder Futhark, The Armanen Runes, The Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, The Younger Futhark

Forum: Heathen Literature - General talk of good books and publications on the old ways

The second is how I would set it up. Nothing too complicated but enough to cover the main bases. Anything that does not fit into most of those catagorys would go into the "General discussion" subforum in the "Heathenism" forum.:D

Leofric
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Subforums: Q&A (For those new to the old ways to ask some of the longer practicing heathens questions), Ásatrú (The Scandinavian Expression of the old ways), Germanic Heathenry (The more German/Dutch expression of the old germanic folkway), Anglo Saxon Heathenism (The Anglo Saxon expression of Heathenry), Other offshoots (This would be for "Black Sun" and all of those other various psuedo offshots of heathenism)

Subforums: General Discussion, Blots and Sumbles, Asgard (Discussion of the Gods and Goddesses), The Hearth (Heathen parenting, cooking, mead brewing, children raising), Other Lists/Reccomended Websites

The second is how I would set it up. Nothing too complicated but enough to cover the main bases. Anything that does not fit into most of those catagorys would go into the "General discussion" subforum in the "Heathenism" forum.:D

I think this is probably a more natural division scheme than the one I proposed — it would create a better end result, I think. My proposal was based rather strongly on the posts that are already in the forum — as they say about the military, I was fighting to win the previous war. I think Hveðrungur's suggestions are much more forward-looking than mine.

A minor adjustment I would suggest to your proposal, Hveðrungur, would be moving the Q&A subforum into the Heathenism forum and changing its title in such a way that it could more easily include A's getting posted without anyone asking a Q. For example, when Sigurd Eirikson posted the "What Is Odinism?" thread that you had revised and posted on another forum, it was an A with no preceding Q, but it still belonged in this kind of forum. I wasn't a huge fan of my own suggestion, "Heathenry 101," but something like that, a broader title that would include introductory lectures as well as Q&A, would be good, I think.

That being said, however, I do think that there are way too many other topics that have been discussed in the forum to just lump them all into General Discussion. The following stand out most in my mind:
Discussion of what anthropologists would call magical practices that are unrelated to the runes (nidstang, hyge-cræft, seidh, etc.).
Discussion of archaeological, anthropological, and psychological findings, discoveries, and theories that relate to our ancestral religion.
Comparison of our ancestral religions to/against other faiths, and discussion of the relationship — both historical and contemporary — between adherents of our ancestral religion and those of other faiths.
Discussion of the political implications, or simply uses, of our ancestral religion, both current and historical.
Discussion or posting of contemporary literary writings related to Heathenism (such as, perhaps, talk about the heathen elements in Tolkien, or some of the poems of Thulean Imperial Inquisitor, and so forth).We've already had quite a few threads on each of these topics, and putting them all into the same mix could cause some frustration for those trying to sift through that catch-all subforum. Of the list above, I don't know how to fit 1 and 2 into your proposed structure. I might make 3 a subforum of the Heathenism forum. I know you don't like the existence of 4, but a lot of folks here do, so I think it ought to go somewhere — maybe as a subforum of the Heathenism forum, maybe in Other Offshoots. 5 could easily become a subforum of the Heathen Literature forum. What do you think about this?

{Leofric, deciding to behave like a wise forum user, pauses to carefully reread his post before clicking the submit button. He makes a discovery.}

Looking at your proposal again, I think it might be too fine a distinction to have Runes subfora for each fuþark/orc — I don't know if each of those subfora would get more than just a few threads. It would be great if there were the demand for that kind of distinction, but I'm not certain there is.

Friday, November 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
That being said, however, I do think that there are way too many other topics that have been discussed in the forum to just lump them all into General Discussion. The following stand out most in my mind:
[LIST=1]
Discussion of what anthropologists would call magical practices that are unrelated to the runes (nidstang, hyge-crćft, seidh, etc.).

Do some reading on what a nidstang is. Its a rune curse pole, usually with a curse carved into it in runes with a horses head spiked on the end.

Discussion of archaeological, anthropological, and psychological findings, discoveries, and theories that relate to our ancestral religion.

Good idea.

Comparison of our ancestral religions to/against other faiths, and discussion of the relationship — both historical and contemporary — between adherents of our ancestral religion and those of other faiths.

In short, No thanks. Why should we have to compare out folkway to others? There is no Right or Wrong. The old Germanic ways are the ways of our folk, a path that sprung from their very subconcious and soul. Let other people have their path, I dont want to bother comparing the old germanic myths to the roman, greek or slavic because I just am not intrested in it. Of course others might have an interest and thats fine but what does it do? Id much rather learn more about my folkway than the ways of other peoples. Of course thats just me.

Discussion of the political implications, or simply uses, of our ancestral religion, both current and historical.

Um, No. That would only take us back from what we're trying to do. Seperate politics from our spiritual ways. They should always be kept seperate but of course this is Skadi, where one out of every 20 members has "14/88" in their username, profile or signature so why should I bother even typing.

Im done with this forum :)

Leofric
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Do some reading on what a nidstang is. Its a rune curse pole, usually with a curse carved into it in runes with a horses head spiked on the end.

Thank you, this is good to know. If all magical practices are inherently runic in nature, then they could easily be put in with the Runes forum.

Good idea.

In short, No thanks. Why should we have to compare out folkway to others? There is no Right or Wrong. The old Germanic ways are the ways of our folk, a path that sprung from their very subconcious and soul. Let other people have their path, I dont want to bother comparing the old germanic myths to the roman, greek or slavic because I just am not intrested in it. Of course others might have an interest and thats fine but what does it do? Id much rather learn more about my folkway than the ways of other peoples. Of course thats just me.

I have a great deal of admiration for you because you feel this way. From reading your posts here and elsewhere, I have seen that not only do you not wish to mess with other IE folk religions in order to try to shed their foreign light onto our own folk religion, but you also do not feel the desire to discuss the interaction between, say, Christian society and Heathen society and how Christianity ruined Heathenism. I have always found your take on this issue quite noble. I was suggesting merely for logistical reasons.

Um, No. That would only take us back from what we're trying to do. Seperate politics from our spiritual ways. They should always be kept seperate but of course this is Skadi, where one out of every 20 members has "14/88" in their username, profile or signature so why should I bother even typing.

This is another area where I find your position very admirable. I do not personally agree with your position, since my political views (like all my views) spring from my religious beliefs. For me, divorcing my politics from my religion would be impossible. I do agree though that religion should be more important than politics: let faith, true faith, inform politics and not the other way around, I say. Nevertheless, my suggestion here was just for logistical purposes. As with the previous suggestion, there are hosts of threads already discussing this topic, and separating those threads into their own subfora, away from other discussion, is a valuable thing in my point of view.

Im done with this forum :)

Done with Skadi? I sincerely hope not! I think you contribute quite a lot to the strength and vitality of our community. Surely you can overlook the folks whose opinions you don't quite cherish and stick around to contribute in areas you do hold dear?

Aeternitas
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I like this suggestion, so I've forwarded it in Staff.

Subforums: The Poetic Edda, The Prose Edda, The Saga's of Icelanders.@ Leofric, concerning comparing of heathenism to other religions, this could very well be done in the general religion section, if people really want to discuss. Otherwise, one would have to create subforums dealing with this topic for each forum within the religion section, and some discussions could belong in more than one place. Besides, a lot of threads where religions are being compared often end up in conflicts and as a result, they get moved to Free Speech or closed.

We also have a section for politics and a lot of Skadi's threads deal with politics. I don't know, maybe some people want to be away from this when it comes to the religion section.

P.S: Once there's an agreement, Skadi will have expanded the section. This will be soon so we'll post here once it's done.

Aeternitas
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM
It is almost ready, except that moderators will have to move the old threads from the old Germanic Heathenry area to the new appropriate sections & so on... there are still a few descriptions missing, so feel free to add them here and it will be fixed.

Leofric
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
@ Leofric, concerning comparing of heathenism to other religions, this could very well be done in the general religion section, if people really want to discuss. Otherwise, one would have to create subforums dealing with this topic for each forum within the religion section, and some discussions could belong in more than one place. Besides, a lot of threads where religions are being compared often end up in conflicts and as a result, they get moved to Free Speech or closed.

Great! That solves the problem of where to put threads like that so they aren't mixed up with General Heathenism.

We also have a section for politics and a lot of Skadi's threads deal with politics. I don't know, maybe some people want to be away from this when it comes to the religion section.

Wonderful! That will solve the problem of finding an appropriate place to put the political heathenism threads so that they too are not mixed in under General Heathenism.

That was my major concern when pushing the issue with the political threads, as well as with the comparative threads. It's clear to me now that my motives were not coming across very clearly to other folks. I didn't feel that we needed to provide a place for such discussion so it could be encouraged, but rather that we should have a place for it so that it could be kept out of the more strictly religious subfora. The fact of the matter is that a lot of the threads already in the heathenism forum are of a political or a comparative nature, and they function mostly as white noise in the forum, distracting the reader from the forum's main point. I didn't seem to me like a good idea to throw them into the General Heathenism subforum, because that would render that subforum noisy, difficult to negotiate, and ultimately, of rather low quality.

Moving these threads out of the main Germanic Heathenism forum altogether is even better than creating subfora for them, in my mind. It really hadn't occurred to me as a possibility. Along with that idea, I think we should all work together to encourage posts on such topics to be made in the approriate fora (Politics for political heathenism and Religion for comparing heathen and nonheathen religions — although there is a Comparative Religion subforum someplace, in Philosophy perhaps).

To Hveðrungur, and others, I'm sorry that my intentions were unclear earlier in my previous posts. I will try to be more precise in the future.

Moody
Wednesday, September 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM
What about combining the Germanic Heathenry and the Religion and Spirituality forums into one 'Germanic Religion and Spirituality' forum [this could include Heathenism and Germanic Christianity, in an attempt to heal the divide between these two which plagues the movement]?

Then we could just have subforums for the non-Germanic religions which have contributed a side-bar to Germanic religion etc.,

I mention this as there seems to be some unnecessary overlap between these two forums at the moment, and I find there to be too many over-fussy sub-sub-sections in them [particularly in the 'Religion and Spirituality' forum].

Also the 'philosophy/worldview' type subsections in Germanic Heathenry and 'Religion and Spirituality' might be detracting attention from the general Philosophy forum. I think it would be better to have all philosophic discussions in the latter, keeping religious discussions for a Germanic Religion forum only.

All the posts spread out on these three forums could be reallocated to just two separate forums;

1: Germanic Religion and Spirituality,

2: Philosophy.

Having two subforums for Heathen Texts and Heathen Literature as we do now seems unnecessary. Also 'The Hearth' and 'Music & Arts' are unnecessary in a Germanic Heathenry setting.

Hindu related stuff could go in a Indo-Germanic sub-forum, scrapping the need for the 'Aryvarta' subforum which is hard to find anyway.

The 'Black Sun' subforum could be kept and featured more as it is an example of modern Germanic Spirituality.

Haldís
Thursday, September 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
What about combining the Germanic Heathenry and the Religion and Spirituality forums into one 'Germanic Religion and Spirituality' forum [this could include Heathenism and Germanic Christianity, in an attempt to heal the divide between these two which plagues the movement]? There is nothing Germanic about Christianity aside from some Germanics being Christian. There are Germanic Muslims and qabalists, too. :)

http://www.islamfortoday.com/england01.htm
http://hjem.get2net.dk/333/qabalah/danes.html

Aeternitas
Monday, September 18th, 2006, 02:37 PM
The Germanic Heathenry forum used to be a sub-forum of the Religion and Spirituality section, but it was expanded at Hveđrungur's suggestion. The sub-forums are also his ideas. It was thought that we should give Germanic Heathenry more space on Skadi, being that it is the indigenous religion of Germanics. Thus, being a section on it's own, it has more sub-forums, a "lounge" of its own, etc., discussions there being restricted to Germanic Heathenry. Before, it was just a section under Religion and Spirituality > Indo-Germanic spirituality, so probably be less visible and eye-catching to the reader than now, especially since we have many sub-forums there. And yes, I agree about Aryavarta, it's also difficult to see.

I think it is a little bit strange as it is now too, regarding these two sections, since Germanic Heathenry is Religion and Spirituality too. Maybe we could rename the Religion and Spirituality section to something else, like "Other Forms of Religion and Spirituality".

If it's to join the forums together and rename them to "Germanic Religion and Spirituality", what do we do with the sub-forums for religions like Islam, Buddhism - they are not Germanic. Even Christianity is not Germanic in origin. So I think we couldn't include them in a forum for Germanic Religion and Spirituality.

Leofric
Tuesday, September 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM
It does seem strange to have Religion and Spirituality forum distinct from the Germanic Heathenry forum.

What if we had a forum for folkish religion and spirituality and a forum for universalist religion and spirituality? That's a pretty natural division line.

We'd probably have to move the Indo-Germanic Spirituality forum into the Folkish Religion and Spirituality forum (kind of like an Indo-Germanic Origins subforum for the Germanic Heathenry section). But all the other religions in the current Religion and Spirituality forum (with the possible exception of the Black Sun stuff, with which I'm not too familiar) are pretty universalist.

We probably shouldn't encourage Germanics to practice any folkish religion besides our own, anyway. There are many Germanic Christians, as well as Germanic Buddhists and Germanic Muslims and Germanic Atheists and Germanic Cosmotheists and all the rest. But Germanic Jew or Germanic Navajo-Ghost-Whisperer or whatever just doesn't work as well. So while our universalist forum would be pretty broad, our folkish forum wouldn't need to open up to encompass the whole world.

Another option, if we feel we want to continue having space for discussing non-Germanic folkish religions, is to have three divisions: Germanic Heathenry, non-Germanic Folkish Religion and Spirituality, and Universalist Religion and Spirituality. The second forum could have places for IE folkish religion (with subfora for Hellenic, Roman, Celtic, Persian, Iranian, and so forth), and even non-Germanic folkish religion (like all that other stuff). I'm not entirely certain how all of that would fit into our goals as a Germanic online community, except for the fact that study of Hinduism can be somewhat helpful for understanding IE paganism more broadly and Germanic heathenry specifically.