PDA

View Full Version : Non-Nordic Individuals Adopting Indo-European Religion and Culture?

Requiem
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 11:35 PM
What are people's opinions regarding nordish but non-nordic individuals adopting indo-european culture? Being largely brunn myself, I hate the thought of taking on culture and religions from which a large part of my ancestors were not part of. However, asatru and it's variants are the only ethnic religion to which I have some form of connection to. Thoughts on this?

Cole Nidray
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I thought all indigenous NW European tribes practiced some form of Asatru. :shrug

What did UP's practice?

Requiem
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I have the impression that the IE tribes originated in the east, and moved west, conquering and placed their form of religion upon all they conquered. In this sense, asatru is foreign to UP.

:hve­rungur:
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 12:04 AM
┴satr˙ is just one expression of pre christian germanic spirituality. ┴satr˙ is based on Ethnicity, not race. Over years and years different groups formed their own unique culture and practices. For example, 1600 years ago practice in Iceland would be different than in lets say England or the more Germanic countrys / areas like Germany or The Netherlands.

There is ┴satr˙, there is Irminism (The more German expression of Heathenry) then you have Anglo Saxon Heathenism among other titles. It is basically the same folkway in essence but different as far as names of the Gods go and cultural practice. For example the Germanic Goddess Ostara whom the Christians god easter from was a Germanic Goddess and not known in places like Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark ect ect. So Bjerre is somewhat correct, it depends on your ethnicity not just your Race or being Germanic. The Germans and Saxons had the Gods Woden / Wodan / Woutan and Donnar / Thunar which most people of Scandinavian / Icelandic lines call them Odin and Thor.

I'm not too familiar with terms like "UP" so if you explained those I might be able to help a little more :P

Requiem
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 12:15 AM
UP = Upper Paleolithic

This refers to the previous inhabitants of Europe before it was taken by the Indo -European tribes. They largely mixed with the IE invaders and aren't seen as a true population in many places any more, but many Northern Europeans contain parts of them.

Allenson
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't get to nit-picky about such a thing. Sure, the Indo-Europeans brought with them their own religions when they entered Europe which were likely different than the aboriginal pre-IE native Europids.....however, they surely blended over time so that what we now understand as pre-Christian European Heathen religions, are surely not totally of IE origins. An example that comes--off of the top of my head--is that of the Aesir and the Vanir. It is thought that the Vanir, being primarily concerned with fertility, are remnants of the pre-IE folk whereas the Aesir, being more oriented toward war, were additions to the pantheon by the incoming Indo-European speakers....

Also, just because you are of a pre-IE phenotype (Brunn as you say) does not imply that you are 100% genotypically pre-IE. You likley have some pastoral, horse-riding, war-making Indo-European pumping through your veins. ;)

Siegfried
Thursday, October 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Very true. :) I believe there is also linguistic evidence that suggests pre-Indo-European elements in Germanic culture.

I wouldn't get to nit-picky about such a thing. Sure, the Indo-Europeans brought with them their own religions when they entered Europe which were likely different than the aboriginal pre-IE native Europids.....however, they surely blended over time so that what we now understand as pre-Christian European Heathen religions, are surely not totally of IE origins. An example that comes--off of the top of my head--is that of the Aesir and the Vanir. It is thought that the Vanir, being primarily concerned with fertility, are remnants of the pre-IE folk whereas the Aesir, being more oriented toward war, were additions to the pantheon by the incoming Indo-European speakers....
Also, just because you are of a pre-IE phenotype (Brunn as you say) does not imply that you are 100% genotypically pre-IE. You likley have some pastoral, horse-riding, war-making Indo-European pumping through your veins. ;)