PDA

View Full Version : Chess - An Ancient Aryan Game

Windr
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Early days of chess:
References to chess history first began to appear in Sanskrit literature in the 7th century A.D. Sometimes the only mention is not to the history of chess as a game but to the chess board, or ashtapada. This could be a chess board or an older Indian game played on an 8x8 board with dice. Ashtapada in Sanskrit means having 8 legs. The term was used for a spider, a legendary being with 8 legs, and a game board.

For chess history - perhaps the first mention to game pieces that could be chess is found in Vasavadatta by Subandhu (550-620). It was written in Sanskrit around 600 AD. It is contained in a romantic story telling the story of Princess Vasavadatta (daugher of King Pradyota) of Ujjaini falling in love with King Udayana of Vatsa. There is a description for chessmen (nayadyutair) and chess squares (koshthika) on a two-colored chess board. The history of chess games itself was probably Chaturanga (not mentioned by Subandhu), possibly the earliest ancestor of our modern chess. Chaturanga in Sanskrit means four parts. This may be modelled by the Indian army platoon which had four parts - elephants, chariots, soldiers on horseback, and foot-soldiers - a suitable and probable start for the chess history...

I would like to know your views on chess. Thank you for response.

Siegmund
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
I would like to know your views on chess. Thank you for response.
Do you play? I imagine you particularly enjoy the games of the great Slovene grandmasters Ljubomir Ljubojević, Svetozar Gligorić and Milan Vidmar?

Windr
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Indeed, I love to play chess. My goal is to become a FM (Fide master) in near future. However this requiers a lot of hard-work and devotion.
To Siegmund : Ljubojevic and Gligoric are Serbs! Slovenian grandmasters of the past were Milan Vidmar, Vasja Pirc (each year a memorial tournaments are being held in their honour), Iztok Puc, Albin Planinc, Bruno Parma.

Ulex
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Do you play? I imagine you particularly enjoy the games of the great Slovene grandmasters Ljubomir Ljubojević, Svetozar Gligorić and Milan Vidmar?
...and Bent Larsen is ofcause a favourite of mine. He was very fond of classic opening theory (he called them "museum openings"), and he popularized the Nimzowitsch opening, 1. b3, and because of his innovations this opening became known as the Nimzowitsch-Larsen opening. I used to play this opening myself, but recently I started to play 1. e4 again, hoping for a Ruy Lopez game (1. ...e5, 2. Nf3, Nc6 3. Bb5...), which I have studied intensively.

If anyone is interested, we could perhaps play a game of chess. We could start a thread in this section.

Siegmund
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Indeed, I love to play chess. My goal is to become a FM (Fide master) in near future. However this requiers a lot of hard-work and devotion.
To Siegmund : Ljubojevic and Gligoric are Serbs! Slovenian grandmasters of the past were Milan Vidmar, Vasja Pirc (each year a memorial tournaments are being held in their honour), Iztok Puc, Albin Planinc, Bruno Parma.
I can't imagine why I said that, since of course they were both born in Belgrade... In any case, I enjoy Pirc's games because I like to play the Pirc Defense as Black. And yes, he was Slovene. :P

Good luck on becoming a FIDE master!

Siegmund
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 12:52 AM
he popularized the Nimzowitsch opening, 1. b3, and because of his innovations this opening became known as the Nimzowitsch-Larsen opening.
I like that opening too, but I am forever haunted by Larsen-Spassky, Belgrade 1970. :P

If anyone is interested, we could perhaps play a game of chess. We could start a thread in this section.
Indeed! Is anyone else interested?

Drmmarnas Stig
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Interested in chess? Hell, yes!

My grandfather was a really good player, used to play a lot with him.
Unfortunately I seem to be less talented.
Lost even once against my wife (whom I taught playing the game some weeks before)...

My style is defensive, you could call it "the Alamo".
I like Anatoly Karpov's opening (the one with the two peasants in the middle each one step forward).
Unfortunately chess is not popular enough for TV-broadcasts.

Friday, October 28th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Chess is the most basic game to train strategic skills, so yes i play chess :thumbup

GreenHeart
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Yes I like chess, and I'm not too bad either. :thumbup

Chess is also mentioned in the nordic mythology, btw.

Waarnemer
Friday, November 4th, 2005, 10:48 PM
A skadi chess tournament is perhaps a good idea?

Leofric
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 03:47 AM

Let's start a game now! Anyone and any number of people can play on either side although it might be good for folks to pick a color and stick with it to avoid conflicts of interest. If you post a move and then discover that another player beat you to it, it'd probably be good to remove your post first post for a particular turn will get priority. Also, when you move, add your move to the list of moves and copy the whole list into your post so that the whole record of the game gets carried on to the next post that'll save people from needing to read back through all the posts to get the full record of the game.

For the sake of consistency, let's all use the same notation. Being a bit on the conservative side, I prefer descriptive notation, and since I'm making the first move . . . well, let's use that!

If you need to brush up on the notation:
http://www.markalowery.net/Chess/Notation/descriptive_notation.html
http://www.markalowery.net/Chess/Downloads/pdf_files/Introduction/descriptive_notation.pdf

Notice that white's moves are followed by black's on the same line:
1. PKR1 PQR1
2. RKR2 and so forth

One more note: I plan to check the box to cancel showing my signature on this thread. It might be a good idea for others to do the same, particularly if you have graphics in your signature we'll have a lot of posts here (if folks want to play), and if we can keep their resource requirements down, I'm sure it'd help.

This is going to be kind of a brawl version of chess, with players able to jump in at any time, so decide now not to be too upset if a ten-ply plan you've got gets sidetracked by another player it's all for fun! :D

Here it goes:
1. PK4

QuietWind
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 04:01 AM
I am terrible at chess, so please do not invite nor expect me to join the fun..... I just wanted to point out that members who are still on moderation may want to wait on playing to avoid the frustration of trying to post a move and then have to wait a couple of hours for it to actually post. ;)

Skildur
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 04:08 AM
Sorry, I hate chess. Hockey is the only game I admire. :)

Glenlivet
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 08:27 AM
I wonder why. :)

Think of all the excitement. All the adverts must make people frustrated. I thought they showed it on TV when Kasparov played against Deep Blue.

By the way, modern chess is actually Persian in origin.

Unfortunately chess is not popular enough for TV-broadcasts.

Rahul
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
The last time that I played chess with someone was 7 years ago.

I remember very well that every one I had played chess against, I had won.

Then it was a great way to attain to a detached sense of focus.

I cannot believe it today that I did play chess so much years ago!

Leofric
Friday, March 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Maybe now is a good time to try to revive this idea:

Let's start a game now! Anyone and any number of people can play on either side although it might be good for folks to pick a color and stick with it to avoid conflicts of interest. If you post a move and then discover that another player beat you to it, it'd probably be good to remove your post first post for a particular turn will get priority. Also, when you move, add your move to the list of moves and copy the whole list into your post so that the whole record of the game gets carried on to the next post that'll save people from needing to read back through all the posts to get the full record of the game.

For the sake of consistency, let's all use the same notation. Being a bit on the conservative side, I prefer descriptive notation, and since I'm making the first move . . . well, let's use that!

If you need to brush up on the notation:
http://www.markalowery.net/Chess/Notation/descriptive_notation.html
http://www.markalowery.net/Chess/Downloads/pdf_files/Introduction/descriptive_notation.pdf

Notice that white's moves are followed by black's on the same line:
1. PKR1 PQR1
2. RKR2 and so forth

One more note: I plan to check the box to cancel showing my signature on this thread. It might be a good idea for others to do the same, particularly if you have graphics in your signature we'll have a lot of posts here (if folks want to play), and if we can keep their resource requirements down, I'm sure it'd help.

This is going to be kind of a brawl version of chess, with players able to jump in at any time, so decide now not to be too upset if a ten-ply plan you've got gets sidetracked by another player it's all for fun! :D

Here it goes:
1. PK4

Thorburn
Friday, March 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Here it goes:
1. PK4 If anything, I would suggest algebraic notation (1. e4).

I don't have time to play at the moment, but I'd like to see a King's Gambit Accepted (1. e4 e5, 2. f4 exf4). Maybe you and your partner can take this humble desire into consideration. cyclone loves to play, I heard, and he is a good player. :)

Loki
Friday, March 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM
No time at moment, but I subscribe to thread to follow this. :)

I just love playing the King's Gambit as white... so crazy, aggressive and exciting. :thumbup

Thorburn
Friday, March 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM
No time at moment, but I subscribe to thread to follow this. :)

I just love playing the King's Gambit as white... so crazy, aggressive and exciting. :thumbup
I fully agree. It always leads to very open, challenging, complex situations. :)