PDA

View Full Version : Love me...

Azdaja
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 09:09 PM
...love me tender.
lol

Anyway...
I had made this thread for the sole purpose of testing out my sig. Yet lo and behold, I cannot delete it.
So here it stays.

Milesian
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 09:10 PM
A centipede? Interesting.....:)

Azdaja
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 09:14 PM
A centipede? Interesting.....:)

Damn. You didnt waste any time responding to this thread, did you? lol

Yeah, I have a bunch of pet scorpions, spiders, and centipedes :)

Milesian
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Ever vigilant :D

Is that an actual pic of one of your own?

Azdaja
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 09:44 PM
No, unfortunately I don't have access to a webcam. The one in my sig is probably of a very small species, whereas I (like most hobbyists) prefer the larger varieties.
A good site to check out for pics of 'giant centipedes' (Scolopendra) is:

http://www.invertepet.com/catalog.htm

You can see that many of these large centipedes are very attractively coloured. I own an S. polymorpha (kind of tannish with darker bands), S. gigantia, Puerto Rican variant (the only good thing to come out of Puerto Rico, actually, lol. A sort of greyish-red colour), S. subspinipes, Haitian variant (dark reddish orange), and my favorite, S. heros (black body, red head, yellow legs).
The taxonomy is somewhat sketchy on the 2nd and 3rd type. I've just went with the names most hobbyists classify them under.

Scáthach
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 11:05 PM
see, i dont particularly want to delete it now since im always interested in Asdaja's ''pet'' collection :D

Evolved
Thursday, August 21st, 2003, 11:55 PM
:sick I have probably several hundred of those crawling around in my basement. I'd be only too happy to send them to you for your collection as long as someone else does the actual "gathering." :lol

Azdaja
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 12:11 AM
see, i dont particularly want to delete it now since im always interested in Asdaja's ''pet'' collection :D

Yes, you are the only one who truly understands me. ;) lol

:sick I have probably several hundred of those crawling around in my basement. I'd be only too happy to send them to you for your collection as long as someone else does the actual "gathering." :lol

Yeah, but you've probably only got the little orange ones ('stone centipedes'). I've got those in my backyard. lol. If you find any over 4", then we can discuss. :)

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 12:38 AM
Hey Azdaja, do you have any of these? www.potatobugs.com

Ewergrin
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 02:53 AM

UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH. I have never seen one of those (to my knowledge) before but holy crap are they repulsive.

Ewergrin
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 03:02 AM
Am I the only one on earth who has a legitimate phobia of the leaf-Footed bug?

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 04:08 AM
What really scares me, is these bugs I've seen, that look a little like that bug you posted...but they look like they have horns on their backs...and they are little and brown and grey and orangeish and icky icky icky!

I would have to see one of those leaf-footed bugs in person to see how freaky they really are. Pictures of things don't scare me or gross me out...unless it is....nevermind... :D

Ewergrin
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 04:17 AM
What really scares me, is these bugs I've seen, that look a little like that bug you posted...but they look like they have horns on their backs...and they are little and brown and grey and orangeish and icky icky icky!

I would have to see one of those leaf-footed bugs in person to see how freaky they really are. Pictures of things don't scare me or gross me out...unless it is....nevermind... :D

These are very large are are true members of the "bug" family. There are a few different variations of the same bug, but they all are basically the same. many people think that these are the massive cousin to the common stink bug, because when you kill them, or when they feel threatened, they do emit a horribily rank odor (its very smell freezes my blood and stops me in my tracks, where I may stay at, suspended in motion for up to 20 minutes or until I am sure that the spawn of satan has removed himself from my immediate area.) Also, the creature makes a loud, rapid clicking noise when flying and has a very unstable flight pattern, much like the Red baron flying his plane with engine failure.

The broad section of the leaf-footed bug torso, just under the head, does indead protrude out like two short and blunt horns.

Evolved
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 04:46 AM
Those potato bugs are going to give me nightmares. :(

The worst thing I've seen are these long dark red centipedes in my basement. And I touched a praying mantis because I thought it was a leaf! Ewww....! And my house was attacked by flying ants once, just thousands of them came out of nowhere to have a party in the backyard. :party Threw some boiling water on them and that was the end of that.

This thread is going to make me vomit at some point hehe. :puke

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Aww, dont worry LadyG, this hungry little guy will eat all the bugs for you :D

Evolved
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 05:15 AM
Do you think this movie gave insect enthusiasts a bad image? :silly

http://www.infinit.com/sections/medias/silence_lambs_06.jpg
It rubs the lotion on its skin, it does this whenever its told.

Ewergrin
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Do you think this movie gave insect enthusiasts a bad image? :silly

http://www.infinit.com/sections/medias/silence_lambs_06.jpg
It rubs the lotion on its skin, it does this whenever its told.

I can only hope so. I would like ot get one of those Totenkopf moths though. I probably shouldn't, seing as how I would probably kill it within the first 2 days just for being so damned ugly.

Azdaja
Friday, August 22nd, 2003, 11:52 AM

No. I had no idea that such a creature even existed. I don't keep insects as pets mainly because they do not live very long, but even so, that 'potato bug' looks pretty interesting.

Ewergrin
Sunday, August 24th, 2003, 01:57 AM
What an odd turn of events....Just yesterday I had my first confrontation with a Potato Bug. At my ex mother in laws house, I noticed a half alive, yet squashed, potato bug in the garage. Very sick looking! We then delved into a deep and meaningful conversation about the Potato Bug and its splendor.

_Vé_
Monday, August 25th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Whats to be afraid of? :axe

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Monday, August 25th, 2003, 10:01 PM
What an odd turn of events....Just yesterday I had my first confrontation with a Potato Bug. At my ex mother in laws house, I noticed a half alive, yet squashed, potato bug in the garage. Very sick looking! We then delved into a deep and meaningful conversation about the Potato Bug and its splendor.

That certainly is a strange coincidence. Maybe it's just the beginning of a huge chain of events...everyone will hear of this potato bug...then they will see one...then a few more will appear....until it is a plague of potato bugs coming to bring about the end of the world. So anyway, when you see one squish it quick! Don't give it time to breed! :scared

Evolved
Monday, August 25th, 2003, 10:12 PM
They scream when you step on them. :wtf

Ewergrin
Monday, August 25th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Is it a coincidence that this horrific abomination also goes by the name the "Jerusalem Cricket?"

Conspiracy indeed.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Monday, August 25th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Is it a coincidence that this horrific abomination also goes by the name the "Jerusalem Cricket?"

Conspiracy indeed.

By Zion! :eek

Yes, this is definately strange...once the Jews are returned to Israel, and all those other weird biblical omens...the potato bugs will fall from the sky...that could be any time now! Repent everyone! :pope