PDA

View Full Version : The Election Result the Best Possible Under the Circumstances?

Ventrue
Tuesday, September 20th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Is the election result the best possible considering the circumstances? I believe it might be, but I would like to hear from some German Skadi members about it.

Consider: either CDU or SPD had to win. But with the race as close as it is, neither party can sit safe in the saddle. They'll have to stay on their toes until the next election, actually listen to the people, instead of simply forgetting about them and pushing through their own favorite ideological fantasies.

A close race - but the CDU still won. (Or so it seems right now) It's an establishment party, but at least Merkel is against a Turkic entry in the EU. That might cause some trouble for the super-staters.

Also, a Germany with a weak CDU and SPD means a Germany where the parties will look inward for the next few years, trying to fix the economy, and staying on their toes as mentioned earlier. That means Germany won't be a leading force in any risky new EU adventures. The EU is already in a crisis. Now it lacks determined leadership, both in France and in Germany. European support for the EU is falling slowly over the years, and without strong leadership, the EU top brass will have a difficult time pushing through widesweeping integration plans quickly before public opinion makes it entirely impossible. (Last February the head of the EU ministers of finance said they had to push through tough integration plans quickly, before it was too late.)

Perhaps most important of all, if Left and Right are forced to cooperate voters in both blocks will be disappointed. They'll say not much is getting done. There's no leading vision. There's just a couple of large parties trying to stay in power. The economy won't improve. That will make it possible for smaller parties to grow stronger. Smaller parties like the NPD, and maybe Lafontaine's Linkspartiei. Now, this new party is certainly not nationalist, but Lafontaine has made some comments against the EU enlargement, against Polish workers coming across the border to take German jobs, against Germany industry moving to Eastern Europe. Some tabloids have called him "dangerous" and a racist, etc. At least he may be a small step in the right direction.

What do you say people, am I right in any of this or way off the mark? I've tried to get an impression from the news articles I've been reading.

CountBloodSpawn
Tuesday, September 20th, 2005, 02:24 AM
that is very surprisingly good news:thumbup
at last one situation where although the establishment is still in play the neo conservative/liberal axis power is waning and not accomplishing its goals at least on one side of the world

Drakkar
Tuesday, September 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I agree that this is good news, but the US still needs to strengthen its relationship with the US (my dream future career is DEU/USA relations). Hopefully with a more conservative leadership, we can see this happen.

Siegfried
Tuesday, September 20th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I agree an SPD/CDU coalition would be best, in the sense that it would drive more voters to the fringe parties.