PDA

View Full Version : Did Carleton Coon Make Racist Statements?

Razmig
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 04:15 AM
http://www.anatomy.usyd.edu.au/danny/anthropology/anthro-l/archive/november-1995/0332.html

Despite Coon, hasnt there been any other anthropologists who have regionally and racially identified peoples of Europid backrounds and published them in a book?

It's funny to hear people saying that they never heard Carleton Coon making racist statements. I did -- in his office at Penn, and elsewhere, during the 6th International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences in Philadelphia in 1956. I was about to begin my second year of fulltime graduate courses in anthro, and was overwhelmed at the chance to meet so many great anthropologists whose works I had been reading. Coon was one of those I wanted to talk with because he had such a broad range of descriptive knowledge of fossil hominids. Besides, by then he was one of the Grand Old Men of Anthro.

I was part of a three-way conversation with Coon and a genetics-inclined physical anthropologist from Italy when Coon suggested we continue the subject up in his office. (I'm rotten on names, and this was a long time ago: could that have been Cavalli-Sforza? I don't remember . . . )

After close to an hour of the visitor's earnest and enlightening discussion, Coon said--and the quotation has stuck with me ever since!--"Thank you very, very much. You know, I never understood this genetics shit."

We turned to more general talk. Coon spoke of a "Jewboy" studying in his department who was pushy and bright but he hoped to discourage him. He said he was worried about the race mixture he saw in Philadelphia, which surely was going to lead to trouble as white blood was diluted.

What he said, then and later, made it clear that he believed that not only were "races" separate entities with independent histories reaching back hundreds of thousands of years, but that they should stay apart today and in the future. There were more remarks that strongly disillusioned me about Coon, because his words and attitudes were so strongly racist.

It didn't surprise me to see Coon quoted repeatedly by the National Putnam Letters Committee (a notoriously racist group). There was, after all, a well-known family link, and to my knowledge he did not disavow their use of his materials. Other racists also found Coon's work a treasure trove of support for their views, particularly after the publication of his "Origin of races".

That book is the oddest mixture of solid, authoritative description of fossil materials and off-the-wall interpretations written by a physical anthropologist in the last half-century. I bought it when it was published, and used it for years as a reference I found first-rate for the details it provided on what was then known of the anatomy of our predecessors. I also joined in the standing ovation given to Sherry Washburn when he gave his presidential address to the American Anthropological Association. At the request of the AAA Board, Sherry devoted that address to ripping apart the stupidities of Coon's interpretations in "The origin of races".

As Washburn pointed out, arguing for the near-total reproductive isolation of European and Asian populations simply cannot stand up to the known historical facts about Ghengis Khan, not to mention ancient Rome's trade with China or the clear evidence of linguistic connections between Turkish, Hungarian, and Finnish on the one hand and Central Asian languages on the other.

And what, pray tell, were Marco Polo's uncles doing on long, cold nights in China? There are descendents of Atilla the Hun's Asian cohorts identifiably present today in isolated Swiss towns. The so-called "Mongoloid spot" and epicanthic eyefolds have been seen in Europe for many centuries. Similar evidence exists for longterm mixture throughout the Old World, even including Australia.

The record makes it impossible to believe that there are now, or ever were, "pure" phenotypic races in human history. Neither is it reasonable to believe that cultural differences are determined by race, or that evolution has made Europeans culturally superior because they are biologically superior. Carleton Coon believed just that. He argued in support of the idea, and made that argument one of the themes of "The origin of races". In other words, he WAS a racist. He also was just plain wrong.

Nordhammer
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
I like Coon even more now :)

Agrippa
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
He just understood what would be the future of Europeans, European nations, European culture and mankind if US would turn into a downgraded liberal-capitalistic experiment of race mixture in its extreme...not just allowing but encouraging the extinction of our own race(s) all over the world for a downgraded mass of global capitalists puppets.

Razmig
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
He just understood what would be the future of Europeans, European nations, European culture and mankind if US would turn into a downgraded liberal-capitalistic experiment of race mixture in its extreme...not just allowing but encouraging the extinction of our own race(s) all over the world for a downgraded mass of global capitalists puppets.
Which will always be interpreted as "hate racism" on the part of a europid man. How pathetic.

Š■eling
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Does anyone have any good links, or know of any e-book catalogues of Coon's works?

Thanks.

Edwin
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.snpa.skadi.net/racesofeurope.htm :D

For a list of his works, search for him on www.bookfinder.com. Many should be available for purchase. Besides the above link to his Races of Europe, there is only one other that I know of online, being a nebulous discussion of the races in America, to which I do not have the link. His other major work (that I know of) is the Origin of Races, published over 20 years after the RoE. Small parts of it are available in a thread at Stormfront, to which I also do not have the link. Just do a search at that forum, and you'll find it eventually. But you're better off buying an ex-library copy for less than 10 dollars. What you really need is the entire text of the RoE, though, which the SNPA does not offer, and that is usually over 50 dollars.

Š■eling
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Bennett.

His books are on Amazon. But the Races of Europe is 50 pounds!! I will try the local bookshop but I suspect they will be out of print, or on the banned list.

Siegfried
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I will try the local bookshop but I suspect they will be out of print, or on the banned list.

I doubt they're banned. It would be outrageous if they were.

Edwin
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Some companies likely have different policies for what they can sell in the store and what they can sell online when it comes to the less sensitive material. Thór save us.

A number of companies offer the Races of Europe 1972 Greenwood edition new, which seems to run less expensive on average than it does used, and much less expensive than the older editions, which is all really quite strange. I am suspicious that this edition might be missing certain parts, but I can't be sure. The real question is whether or not this is an updated edition, since it was originally printed in 1939.

Those American companies which offer it are: www.ecampus.com ($65), www.amazon.com ($70), www.barnesandnoble.com ($70), www.buy.com ($70), www.a1books.com ($70), www.overstock.com ($70). If you can't find it for a reasonable price in Great Britain, then you might as well order it from across the pond and pay the extra $5 or so in shipping.

Š■eling
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I was considering buying from over the lake. The link you have given me though will be good for now.:)

Siegfried. Outrageous acts are something that the PC crowd excell in. I would probably get all sorts of questioning looks if I asked for Coon's books in my local book store.

Nordgau
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Some companies likely have different policies for what they can sell in the store and what they can sell online when it comes to the less sensitive material. Thˇr save us.

A number of companies offer the Races of Europe 1972 Greenwood edition new, which seems to run less expensive on average than it does used, and much less expensive than the older editions, which is all really quite strange. I am suspicious that this edition might be missing certain parts, but I can't be sure. The real question is whether or not this is an updated edition, since it was originally printed in 1939.

Those American companies which offer it are: www.ecampus.com ($65), www.amazon.com ($70), www.barnesandnoble.com ($70), www.buy.com ($70), www.a1books.com ($70), www.overstock.com ($70). If you can't find it for a reasonable price in Great Britain, then you might as well order it from across the pond and pay the extra $5 or so in shipping.

Since I have this 70 bucks Greenword thing, I can confirm that it's a reprint of the 1939 edition with XI, 739 pages (I haven't got of course a 1939 original for comparison), only that the quality of the photographic plates doesn't seem to be as good due to the reproduction methods. No updates--it's indeed a reprint, a reproduction of exactly the text of the old book as it was (same font etc.), not a new edition. "Reprinted with the permission of Carleton Coon", by the way. There's a note at the beginning of the book:

"In order to keep this title in print and available to the academic community, this edition was reproduced using digital reprint technology in a relatively short print run. This would not have been attainable using traditional methods. Although the cover has been changed from its original appearance, the text remains the same and all materials and methods used still conform to the highest book-matching standards."

By the way, I don't find it at all strange that this reprint is less expensive than the original. It's a normal experience I have that new reprints of rare old books offered by publishing house are less expensive than originals offered by professional second-hand book trade. :)

RedJack
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 11:56 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20030623084659/www.legioneuropa.org/Racediv/CSCoon/Papers/plindex.htm

Siegfried
Sunday, March 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Does anyone know this book by Carleton Stevens Coon? If so, could someone please give me a short summary of its contents?