PDA

View Full Version : Body Height and Subjectivity

Huzar
Wednesday, September 7th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Like many of us know, our subjectivity is a fundamental factor in our evaluations (probably, more often than we would want admit).

Now, for personal curiousity, i'd like to know which is your perception of stature or body height ; I mean, what's your height standards (or better, what are the height standards of your "area") ? What you mean personally, for medium stature or high stature ? Obviously, height standards can vary notably from a place to another.

In Japan, for example, a 175 cm. person, would be considered medium-tall statured(:D ).

Thusnelda
Thursday, September 8th, 2005, 02:11 AM
As far as I know, the height standard of our area is 1.69m for women and 1.76m for men. This varies, since older people are smaller than younger people.
In my opinion, a man is of a high stature if he is higher than 1.90m, and a woman is of a high stature if she is higher than 1.80m.

Huzar
Thursday, September 8th, 2005, 02:25 AM
As far as I know, the height standard of our area is 1.69m for women and 1.76m for men. This varies, since older people are smaller than younger people.
In my opinion, a man is of a high stature if he is higher than 1.90m, and a woman is of a high stature if she is higher than 1.80m.

Thanks, Val :) This is the kind of observations i like

Skåne
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Is 180 cm short or medium for scandinavia or central europe?

Northern Paladin
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Like many of us know, our subjectivity is a fundamental factor in our evaluations (probably, more often than we would want admit).

Now, for personal curiousity, i'd like to know which is your perception of stature or body height ; I mean, what's your height standards (or better, what are the height standards of your "area") ? What you mean personally, for medium stature or high stature ? Obviously, height standards can vary notably from a place to another.

In Japan, for example, a 175 cm. person, would be considered medium-tall statured(:D ).

In America 175cm is considered average height. However I regard that as rather short. To me medium stature would be 180cm for guys and 165cm for girls. Tall for guys would be 187cm and for girls 172cm or taller. Everyone in my family is rather tall.

Is 180 cm short or medium for scandinavia or central europe?

I believe it's the average height in Sweden.
Scandinavia is taller than Germany. But the Dutch are tallest of all. 185cm is the average male height there.

I don't think anyone would consider 180cm short.

Huzar
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I don't think anyone would consider 180cm short.

I think the same. 180 cm it's a medium height for scandinavia. In southern Italy (where the mean is 173 cm) would be considerated tall. In northern Italy (near central europe) medium again.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 08:02 AM
There has been a recent height increase in Europe, maybe with the current adult generation. Check Coon's figures which were mainly based on 19th Century surveys and it becomes apparent. Also, there has been an increase in European height as opposed to American height. Americans got taller after WW2 and now Europeans have caught up (perhaps surpassed).

An American of Chinese ancestery who served in the Pacific in WW2 told me that when lined up, British soldiers were the shortest, Americans in the middle, and Australians the tallest. I thought this was an interesting observation and questioned him on this but his recounting was always consistant on this. Height appears somewhat plastic.

Glenlivet
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I think you will find the perception below in most of Northern Europe. The average height for Dutch males is 184 cm. That is an exception in Northern Europe. The Dutch have grown taller during the last decades whereas Scandinavians have not increased as much.

under 162 - extremely short
162-168 - very short
168-174 - short
174-180 - average
180-186 - above average or moderately tall
186-192 - tall
192-196 - very tall
above 196 - extremely tall

Heritability of adult body height: a comparative study of twin cohorts in eight countries.

Silventoinen K, Sammalisto S, Perola M, Boomsma DI, Cornes BK, Davis C, Dunkel L, De Lange M, Harris JR, Hjelmborg JV, Luciano M, Martin NG, Mortensen J, Nistico L, Pedersen NL, Skytthe A, Spector TD, Stazi MA, Willemsen G, Kaprio J.

Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland.

A major component of variation in body height is due to genetic differences, but environmental factors have a substantial contributory effect. In this study we aimed to analyse whether the genetic architecture of body height varies between affluent western societies. We analysed twin data from eight countries comprising 30,111 complete twin pairs by using the univariate genetic model of the Mx statistical package. Body height and zygosity were self-reported in seven populations and measured directly in one population. We found that there was substantial variation in mean body height between countries; body height was least in Italy (177 cm in men and 163 cm in women) and greatest in the Netherlands (184 cm and 171 cm, respectively). In men there was no corresponding variation in heritability of body height, heritability estimates ranging from 0.87 to 0.93 in populations under an additive genes/unique environment (AE) model. Among women the heritability estimates were generally lower than among men with greater variation between countries, ranging from 0.68 to 0.84 when an additive genes/shared environment/unique environment (ACE) model was used. In four populations where an AE model fit equally well or better, heritability ranged from 0.89 to 0.93. This difference between the sexes was mainly due to the effect of the shared environmental component of variance, which appears to be more important among women than among men in our study populations. Our results indicate that, in general, there are only minor differences in the genetic architecture of height between affluent Caucasian populations, especially among men.

Huzar
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I think you will find the perception below in most of Northern Europe. The average height for Dutch males is 184 cm. That is an exception in Northern Europe. The Dutch have grown taller during the last decades whereas Scandinavians have not increased as much.

under 162 - extremely short
162-168 - very short
168-174 - short
174-180 - average
180-186 - above average or moderately tall
186-192 - tall
192-196 - very tall
above 196 - extremely tall

Excellent, Glen :thumbup ;

Your "estimations" on the perception of height, are just what i'm interested in:) . I find your data realistic for northern-europe.
To be sincere, i'm not very interested in traditional statistics etc., on this thread. Statistic can be misleading or even wrongs, ( in the worst case). here i'm interested in the "human" perspective of the thing.

Rhydderch
Friday, September 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I think Australian men average about 5ft. 10; when my father and grandfather grew up, six feet was considered tall. Nowadays it's tallish I suppose (i.e above average), but at about 6ft. 1 I can often almost feel short:D Around my area there are lots of fellows my age who tower over me, and many of them are quite well proportioned (sometimes even bulky) too.

I suppose I'd consider anything under 5ft. 8 to be short, and there are some surprisingly short people around, one doesn't always notice it, particularly if they have a heavier build. But I have seen a few men who I think would probably be no more than five feet; these are noticeable.