PDA

View Full Version : .308 (7.62x51mm) vs .223 (5.56x45mm)

StrÝbog
Wednesday, August 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Which of these standard US/NATO rounds do you prefer in an assault/battle rifle, and why? I like .223 for its flat trajectory and high velocity, but I have these nagging doubts about its manstopping ability at longer ranges. I have an AR-15 but I'm considering an FN-FAL as well... any advice?

Ewergrin
Wednesday, August 6th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Which of these standard US/NATO rounds do you prefer in an assault/battle rifle, and why? I like .223 for its flat trajectory and high velocity, but I have these nagging doubts about its manstopping ability at longer ranges. I have an AR-15 but I'm considering an FN-FAL as well... any advice?

I would pick .308
Its on the smaller side of the larger caliber rounds, yet it does tremendous damage. Also, .308 is cheaper than .223 ( I only buy military surplus, minimum 1000 rounds at a time). There is a REASON that the FAL/L1A1 style rifle is used more than any other rifle in service today.
Also, one of my favorite bolt action rifle rounds is .308, so if you have both types of rifle, you can use the same caliber for both.

.223 is a great round, but it is a controversial one. The plain fact is that .223 has almost no "manstopping" power. What it DOES have, is extremely high velocity and the ability to tumble when hit by the slightest object. You might not think that that is a good thing, or something that you want to have in a rifle round, and for some reasons, that is true, but in the case of .223 it is a good thing, because it makes the round MANY times more fatal. .223 will not exit a torso after entering it. If the slightest object manages to graze the round when its on its course, the bullet will start to tumble, and as I'm sure you can imagine, a tumbling bullet is going to do much more damage than a straight flying bullet, once it enters its new "home."

The FN/FAL is a superb weapon and .308 is a magnificant round. Since you already have an AR15, then either an AK varient (AKM, MAK, SAR1, Maadi etc...) or the FAL is the next logical choice.
My suggestion when buying a FAL is to actually find a reciever that you like, and then buy a seperate parts kit for it, simply because finding a whole FAL that is going to be worth anything is going to be expensive. Also, Century International Arms is selling refurbished L1A1's at around the $500 range that are quite nice.
I am in the process of building my own G1 FAL right now. I ordered and had delivered a G1 parts kit, and am about to buy a FAL reciever to complete it. Of course, I will have to replace the FCG group and a few other components to make it legal in the US, and you will too if you decide to buy a parts kit FAL.

Hope this helps.....

Ewergrin
Wednesday, August 6th, 2003, 11:37 PM
I also wanted to mention that good quality FAL type magazines are going to be somewhat hard to find. Best of luck.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, August 6th, 2003, 11:45 PM
.308 rifles are in good company!

1. L1A1/FAL
2. M60
3. M14

StrÝbog
Thursday, August 7th, 2003, 12:10 AM

1. L1A1/FAL
2. M60
3. M14

M60s rule!!! :D

Ewergrin
Thursday, August 7th, 2003, 12:20 AM
M60s rule!!! :D

M60s do rule. However, they are all but obsolete in the US Military at present day.
They are used primarlily buy guerrilla warriors.

StrÝbog
Thursday, August 7th, 2003, 07:26 AM

1. L1A1/FAL
2. M60
3. M14

What would the advantages/disadvantages/differences be if I got an H&K G3 instead of a FAL?

Ewergrin
Thursday, August 7th, 2003, 11:06 AM
What would the advantages/disadvantages/differences be if I got an H&K G3 instead of a FAL?

None really. The G3/CETME is an excellent weapon as well. Very easy to disassemble and maintiain. Of course, you are going to pay through the nose for anything with H&K stamped on it, but it would be well worth it.

Ewergrin
Friday, August 8th, 2003, 02:51 AM
I found an interesting site... and Stribog...check out the picture of the .308 casing next to the .223 casing. Quite a difference..
Of course, you need that much more powder behind the much larger .308 bullet.

http://www.alexanderjason.com/snipercase3.htm