PDA

View Full Version : Out of Africa or Multiregionalism?

Northern Paladin
Saturday, July 16th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Which theory do you subscribe to?

I think there are elements of both that may be true. But arguably the Out of Africa camp has produced more evidence.

Todesritter
Saturday, July 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I lean toward believing there are elements of truth in both schools of thought from what I have read, learned, and contemplated.

However, there is no Neither, Both A & B, or Other category to vote for, so I abstain.

Requiem
Monday, July 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Out of Africa at the moment.

Agrippa
Monday, July 25th, 2005, 12:54 PM
You should have add a 3rd option - Out of Africa mixed with Multiregionalism. Multiregionalism is wrong, but if, the only possibility is, that sapiens mixed with local archaic populations. Exclusive Multiregionalism is unscientific and already disproven.

I say sapiens replaced the archaics - at least on the long run totally.

Glenlivet
Monday, July 25th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Population geneticist Spencer Wells studies support the Out of Africa theory.

However, I read an article about a study which challenge the Out of Africa migration.

Study: Human Ancestors Originated in Asia

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050530/primate.html

Agrippa
Monday, July 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Population geneticist Spencer Wells studies support the Out of Africa theory.

However, I read an article about a study which challenge the Out of Africa migration.

Study: Human Ancestors Originated in Asia

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050530/primate.html

Interesting. But how unlikely it is, just think for a moment it would be the case, I dont think thats the point of this poll, because the main point is if humans came up in a region and expanded fast - replacing archaics, what they did from what we know. The question is just if totally or not so the poll should add a 3rd option...

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, July 26th, 2005, 05:55 AM
You should have add a 3rd option - Out of Africa mixed with Multiregionalism. Multiregionalism is wrong, but if, the only possibility is, that sapiens mixed with local archaic populations. Exclusive Multiregionalism is unscientific and already disproven.

I say sapiens replaced the archaics - at least on the long run totally.

Agrippa's 3rd option makes the most sense as it incorporates all the data and is the only theory which does so. Neither OoA or Multiregionalism strickly forbid this middle ground. Even Coon's multiregionalism allowed for gene flow between grades.

Siegfried
Thursday, November 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM
What I posted on TNP (http://www.forums.skadi.net/);

I believe anthropoids first originated in Africa, and then migrated outwards in multiple successive waves. Later migrations encountered earlier anthropoid populations stemming from earlier waves, and either hybridized or replaced them, depending on the case. The anthropoid populations outside of Africa of course also hybridized and replaced one another as they all continued to evolve. In short, I think there is some truth in both the 'Out of Africa' and the multiregional hypothesis.