PDA

View Full Version : What is the most accurate concept of "Nordic"?

Hardwig
Tuesday, June 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Hi everybody!I'm new in this forum and I'm interested in discuss some points that I have doubt.What is the most accurate concept of "Nordic"? Blonde hair? Blue eyes? Stature? Long heads?If you people observe,most of the people called "Nordic" doesn't have all of these physical characteristics but one or two of it.Most of the so called Nordic people is not totally blond-blue eyed,tall and long skulled.For example,in Scotland and England you will find a lot of dark haired-blue eyed people(maybe most of them) and the majority of anthropologists says that these countries are 100% Nordic.I'm not sure,but Poland may be blonder than Scotland and is not considered a "Nordic country" in race.Southern Europeans have long skulls maybe longer than some Northern countries and they are far from being Nordic in race.So I have some questions for you people: 1-What is the best definition of Nordic(Race)? 2-What of the physical characteristics above is the best representative of the Nordics? 3-What do you give more importance when you call some folk "Nordic",genetics or physical resemblance? Thanks !

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, June 28th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Coon uses two types of Nordics, Keltic and Hallstatt. Both are usually shorter and of a more slender build than the Upper Paleolithic types. The Hallstatt type sometimes has grey eyes and ash blond hair. The Keltic can have brown hair with shades of red mixed in sometimes. Remember General Bernard Law Montgomery? That is the Keltic Nordic I compare others to. Take a look at his nose in profile if you get a picture. That is the Keltic Nordic nose. The Hallstatt is less extreme but is also in-line with the forehead's angle. The people you see in Scottland may be UP types or mixtues of Nordics and UP types.

Hardwig
Saturday, July 2nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks Dr. Solar Wolff. Does Coon only consider the keltic and Hallstatt types as being Nordic? What do you think about Richard Mcculloch?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, July 2nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Dr. Solar Wolff. Does Coon only consider the keltic and Hallstatt types as being Nordic? What do you think about Richard Mcculloch?

I think Richard McCulloch brough back some interest in Carlton Coon but added some ideas of his own. Sometimes these ideas are of use, "Nordid" being an example but McCulloch is not a scientist or even an anthropologist so I don't think he should be cited as a source or authority.