PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts Don't Exist

Loki
Thursday, July 24th, 2003, 11:33 PM
An expert is hoping to build the world's first 'haunted' house to prove ghosts do not exist.

Psychologist Richard Wiseman and his team of researchers believe spooks are caused by a mixture of environmental factors which make people feel uneasy.

The University of Hertfordshire academic wants to recreate those factors, such as unusual draughts, temperature variations, magnetic fields and infrasound vibrations in a £50,000 project. It follows research in which he found hundreds of volunteers were spooked by natural phenomena at Hampton Court and South Bridge Vaults in Edinburgh - two of the most notoriously haunted sites. He said: "The house would give important scientific results and go down in history."

Source: London METRO

Scáthach
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 12:36 AM
too much time on his hands methinks

Loki
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
too much time on his hands methinks

... and too much money. I can think of other ways to spend £50,000.

hardcorps
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM
I REALLY like this idea. As Goya said, 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'! The 'will to demystification' is one of the noblest there is. When can (white) mankind finally, and collectively, put childish things away?

Presumably, Loki, the money is not 'his' and is rather an academic grant! This seems a much better project for a psych department then, say, proving the great parenting capabilities of gay couples! Ah, the poverty of the academy...

Loki
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I REALLY like this idea. As Goya said, 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'! The 'will to demystification' is one of the noblest there is. When can (white) mankind finally, and collectively, put childish things away?

I agree. We have too much ideological and supernatural fantasies that still rule the human psyche and mind. Time to rid ourselves of this unnecessary baggage.

Presumably, Loki, the money is not 'his' and is rather an academic grant! This seems a much better project for a psych department then, say, proving the great parenting capabilities of gay couples! Ah, the poverty of the academy...

Indeed, I think you are right.

Tryggvi
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 07:52 PM
I consider this a very interesting project, although, even if successful, it would not prove that ghosts do not exist. It merely would prove that certain "ghost-like" feelings and impressions can be created by a certain environment.

But who knows? Maybe real ghosts would find this house so comfortable that they themselves decide to settle in it and create the very impressions the scientists then ascribe to the house's design? ;P

cosmocreator
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 08:22 PM
When I die, I'm going to haunt people. :jew :evil :AWW

Loki
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 08:52 PM
When I die, I'm going to haunt people. :jew

Are you going to be a ghost rabbi? :eek

Grimr
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 09:15 PM
When I die I am going to have drinking contest with Satan. :twitch

Dresden
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I have an 1895 historic mansion, and I can assure you, at least 3 times a day, we have "unexplained phenomenon".
I do strongly believe in ghosts, as I see evidence for them every day in this Deep South Texas town.
They are not "scary things", but rather impressions of people and times past that can express in the present.
I like our house ghosts, they are both helpful, and a reminder of the spirit and energy of our ancestors and old kinfolk.
And yes, we have eliminated all possible natural causes before we dared to call it "unexplained".
I am not a nut case looking for Strange Stuff.
The Strange Stuff finds me. :)

Stríbog
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I think most of you who have been on the board long enough know my feelings. I am quite inclined to believe in spirits, psychic energy and much, though not all, of what is labelled occult phenomena. There are simply too many things that science can not explain.

Tryggvi
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Dresden,

that interests me: helpful? ;)

Can you narrate one or two of the more spectacular "unexplained phenomena" that happened in your house?

Dresden
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 01:35 AM
We, almost daily, have objects moving without visible external effect.
Whether it be papers blowing off a desk with no fans or AC running, (and with sealed windows, I might add), or voices audible to our dogs as well as us; electric inside mounted doorbell rings in patterns, (10 at a time) only when there is reason to call us downstairs, such as a door being left unlocked.
Also, visible impressions on pillows and bedspreads, of a head and body in the coverlets that had been straightened the night before.
We have found a child's handprints on mirrors that no one had access to.
There are constant footsteps running through the house when no humans or animals are present. House settling noises do *not* sound like that, trust me, I have had 6 old houses.
*Things* appear in reflections in mirrors and window glass, and then they tell their names.......which check later to names of folks that dwelled in the house.
The list goes on and on, and we have only lived here a year.
Ghosts are real, and I like ours a lot.

Götterschicksal
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 01:57 AM
When I die I am going to have drinking contest with Satan. :twitch

When I die...
well, read my quote. :D

Tryggvi
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 02:25 AM
We, almost daily, have objects moving without visible external effect.
Whether it be papers blowing off a desk with no fans or AC running, (and with sealed windows, I might add), or voices audible to our dogs as well as us; electric inside mounted doorbell rings in patterns, (10 at a time) only when there is reason to call us downstairs, such as a door being left unlocked.
Also, visible impressions on pillows and bedspreads, of a head and body in the coverlets that had been straightened the night before.
We have found a child's handprints on mirrors that no one had access to.
There are constant footsteps running through the house when no humans or animals are present. House settling noises do *not* sound like that, trust me, I have had 6 old houses.
*Things* appear in reflections in mirrors and window glass, and then they tell their names.......which check later to names of folks that dwelled in the house.
The list goes on and on, and we have only lived here a year.
Ghosts are real, and I like ours a lot.
I love such things. That's the right kind of stories to listen to in an old house during a long winter night in front of a fire-place. :)

Did you do some research who these ghosts are,what their history is, when they died and what of?

Dresden
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 02:44 AM
There were but 7 families that have owned the place, and we are still trying to figure out who is who.
The child is the biggest mystery.
Some of the other folks we can ID by behavior and stories handed down.
But as we are still in our first year here, there is much research yet to be done.

Tryggvi
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 02:58 AM
What's so mysterious about this child? Is it a boy or a girl?

Dresden
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 03:13 AM
We think it is a girl child.
She left a little handprint on a mirror that had been washed before it was totally blocked off by a huge Yule tree before the historic home tour last year.
When we took the tree down, we found a sticky little handprint about the size of a 3 year old on the mirror behind.
She has left pillow and down comforter impressions on the day bed in the old sun porch that used to be the children's play room as well.
And when you lean over the bed to look, you can smell cookies.
I sense she is female from dreams where she has appeared to me in our rooms while I was napping.
She asks for toys, and wonders where her dog is.

Stríbog
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Do all the ghosts in your house seem benevolent? No malicious presences or violent occurrences like objects being thrown, etc.?

Dresden
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 03:20 AM
All are VERY benevolent.
Nothing ever makes you run for a light switch in the dark.
Nothing threatening, nothing evil, very unlike the movies.
We love and co-exist pleasantly with our house ghosties.

Borivoj
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Hello all, I'm back and there seems to be a lot of changes on this board! I think I once posted something on ghosts here a while ago and I mentioned the haunted spa that my family owns in the countryside. Many of the things that Dresden described are very similar to occurances that happen in our spa. There is an abandoned guest residence a minute's walk from the main building. It was confiscated by the government in the 50's, but was inhabited by an old woman and a couple families until the mid 70's when it was abandoned. Most of the building is empty, but in the upper rooms, the belongings of the old woman lie in dusty piles. My aunt lives at the spa all year long and for years has often seen faint lights on in the upper rooms at night. In the morning clothes are moved around on the floor and everything from funiture to bottles of pickled fruit are moved. I have never seen the lights but I have seen how the things have been moved around. The floor is covered in dust and there is no fresh footprints. Also, the spa is very far from houses and the nearest village so I doubt that it is people causing the trouble. As I wrote before, the main building that holds the spa was built in the early seventeenth century and has many strange things that happen in it. Under it, there is a large round area where the water comes up. It is usually completly calm, but sometimes we hear loud splashing coming from there when we are in other parts of the building. We cant find an explanation for this at all because it is inside and no animal could pass through the building and open the heavy hatch that leads to it. It is common place to hear footsteps going up and dwn the stairs and to hear someone walking around the kitchen. I know that both my aunt's parents lived for decades mostly in the kitchen/living area area and eventually died there about ten years ago. Throughout the spa's history, many people have died there of diseases which they tried to cure using the water. Anyway, that's my story, it''s nice to be back!

Loki
Tuesday, July 29th, 2003, 09:03 PM
On the topic of the supernatural, here is a quote from another poster in a different forum, that might be interesting:

I get visited by these spirits from the other world all the time. As far back as I can remember I had these “visitations” it was so bad that for a period during my childhood that I would sit up nights to afraid to go to sleep, but eventually I would fall asleep out of tiredness. On occasion I can remember being lifted out of my bed and slowly rotating while still being able to hear the music on the radio. I use to leave my radio on day and night…. thinking back this was an attempt to keep touch with reality. During all these episodes I was acutely aware of my surroundings in the fines details, Background noise, music, street noise the curtains in my room blowing in the wind everything. Even now when it happens I will be aware of partner lying next to me.
On other occasions there was a figure next to my bed standing 7 feet tall. It was like a thick grey/ black fog, it had no distinguishing features and only barley resembled a man….no face, no arms, no legs …… It was truly terrifying experiences. I truly believed that I was courted by the devil himself. I became fanatical about reading the Bible, praying, refuting demos in Jesus’ name everything you can think of, but nothing helped although I must say that these experiences came and went periodically. I believed that I was fighting a personal battle with the minions of the dark and I was not planning to go easily.

It was in my late teens when one day I decided to give up the fight, until then I use to fight the presence, fight the paralysis, fight the fading into nothingness, fight the feeling of being dragged from my body , fight the absolute terror. I just gave up I promised myself that the next time his happens I would just go with it, see where it leads me and so I did the next time it happened I just let go……. it was still frightening but at the end it just faded away and I was awake. After that day it was never bad again every time it just fades away just fades away.

I still have these “visitations”, not as regular as I use to. I now realise that it has more to do with what I eat, drink, than with spirits from the other side. I also now realise that it is a common sleep disorder which afflicts many people in various degrees. I have just replaced superstition with reason.

Many people however will still be superstitious and believe that they are being contacted by their dead relatives, demons, angels or what ever is floating out there. What you believe is your choice the question is do you really want to know the rational answer?

Loki
Tuesday, July 29th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Anyway, that's my story, it''s nice to be back!

Welcome back, Premisyl! :thumbup

Evolved
Tuesday, July 29th, 2003, 11:57 PM
My mother is a total skeptic on everything supernatural and even religious. She did not believe in occult or supernatural phenomenon, but she told me saw a ghost where she works. I have no reason to doubt her. She said it was a white cloudy form in the shape of a human adult, which appeared out of nowhere, hovered in the air for a moment and disappeared. :yikes

My theory is that highly emotional events or strong personalities leave behind some sort of psychic residue which repeats itself later. I don't think these are the souls of dead people, but anything is possible. :)

Loki
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 07:39 PM
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-12955114,00.html

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1185231.jpg

THE REAL PHANTOM MENACE

This ghostly image was caught on CCTV at historic Hampton Court Palace, a home of King Henry VIII, and long reported to be haunted.

The 16th Century palace in south-west London is well known for alleged supernatural activity, but nothing suspicious has been caught on film before.

However, in October this year, this curious image was caught on the palace's CCTV footage.

On several occasions security guards were alerted to an open fire door in an exhibition area of the palace.

After securing the door each time, they returned to their office to view the CCTV footage to see who had opened them.

On the first occasion the footage showed the doors flying wide open, but no evidence of why they had.

On the second, the guards were stunned when a ghostly figure in period dress suddenly appeared on the screen and closed the doors.

The same thing happened on a third day, but again no figure appeared.

Stranger still was that a visitor had noted in the palace's visitor book that she thought she had seen a ghost in that area.

Loki
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
update

Loki
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html

Palace 'ghost' caught on camera

Friday, December 19, 2003 Posted: 1:54 PM EST (1854 GMT)

LONDON, England (AP) -- Are there ghostly goings-on at Henry VIII's palace, or is that hazy image of a fellow in fancy robes just a bit of Christmas cheer?

Closed-circuit security cameras at Hampton Court Palace, the huge Tudor castle outside London, seem to have snagged an ethereal visitor. Could it be a ghost?

"We're baffled too -- it's not a joke, we haven't manufactured it," said Vikki Wood, a Hampton Court spokeswoman, when asked if the photo the palace released was a Christmas hoax. "We genuinely don't know who it is or what it is."

Wood said security guards had seen the figure in closed-circuit television footage after checking it to see who kept leaving open one of the palace's fire doors.

In the still photograph, the figure of a man in a robe-like garment is shown stepping from the shadowy doorway, one arm reaching out for the door handle.

The area around the man is somewhat blurred, and his face appears unnaturally white compared with his outstretched hand.

"It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn't look human," said James Faukes, one of the palace security guards.

"My first reaction was that someone was having a laugh, so I asked my colleagues to take a look. We spoke to our costumed guides, but they don't own a costume like that worn by the figure. It is actually quite unnerving," Faukes said.

The palace, built in 1525 on the River Thames 10 miles west of central London, is a popular tourist attraction and some of the guides wear costumes of the Tudor period.

Wood said she was hoping people would come forward with similar stories and try to explain the figure.

The palace has been the scene of many dramatic royal events, and already is supposed to have a few ghosts.

King Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour, died there giving birth to a son, and her ghost is said to walk through one of the cobbled courtyards carrying a candle.

Her son, Edward, had a nurse called Sibell Penn who was buried in the palace grounds in 1562. In 1829 her tomb was disturbed by building work, and around the same time an odd whirring noise began to be heard in the southwest wing of the palace.

When workmen traced the strange sounds to a brick wall, they uncovered a small forgotten room containing an old spinning wheel, just like the one Penn used to use.

Henry's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, condemned for adultery, was held at the palace under house arrest before her execution at the Tower of London. An 1897 book about the palace says she was reportedly seen, dressed in white and floating down one of the galleries uttering unearthly shrieks.

The palace was once a prison for King Charles I, who later was beheaded, and then home to his nemesis Oliver Cromwell, who briefly ruled when Britain was for a short time a republic.

Loki
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Update

Nordhammer
Saturday, December 20th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Why is it always white people who are haunted? LOL

I love the supernatural. I hope all the dead come back! I'd rather have my whole neighborhood haunted by ghosts of white people than occupied by living blacks. LOL

Gladstone
Saturday, December 20th, 2003, 05:40 PM
We had something like that in the states some months back. This figure (a woman in a dress it appeared) was seen floating over cars in a garage on a CCTV image; this garage was filled with cars in storage some of which had been involved in deadly accidents.

As for England I think it is supposed to have more ghosts than any place on earth, the most common being Roman legionaires heard marching about.

Gesta Bellica
Saturday, December 20th, 2003, 06:45 PM
We had something like that in the states some months back. This figure (a woman in a dress it appeared) was seen floating over cars in a garage on a CCTV image; this garage was filled with cars in storage some of which had been involved in deadly accidents.

As for England I think it is supposed to have more ghosts than any place on earth, the most common being Roman legionaires heard marching about.
Why they are marching in England and not in Rome???
We miss them a lot ;)

Gladstone
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM
Why they are marching in England and not in Rome???
We miss them a lot ;)

Good question! Um...they missed the boat? ;-)